Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

JR Smith got a game suspension but not Wade... Double Standard?

POSTED MAY 26, 2013
    Heat’s Dwyane Wade avoids suspension for flagrant elbow to Pacers’ Lance Stephenson
    2013 NBA PLAYOFFS, BEN GOLLIVER, DWYANE WADE, INDIANA PACERS, LANCE STEPHENSON, MIAMI HEAT
    BY BEN GOLLIVER

The NBA has ruled that an elbow delivered by Heat guard Dwyane Wade to the head of Pacers guard Lance Stephenson during Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals was a flagrant play but that it was not worthy of a suspension. Wade will be eligible to play in Game 3 in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Holding an 89-88 lead with a little more than four minutes remaining in the regulation, the Pacers pushed the ball upcourt following a Heat turnover. Wade, who was running back in transition, jumped when he hit the midcourt line, contacting the left side of Stephenson’s head with his left elbow while in midair. The blow sent Stephenson to the ground, but no foul was called and Indiana’s possession continued.

The play was retroactively upgraded to a flagrant foul 1 by the league office, a designation applied to fouls that are “unnecessary.” Indiana went on to win 97-93 on Friday to even the series at one game apiece.

The Sun-Sentinel reported the non-reaction from the Heat following Monday’s shootaround.

Wade declined comment after participating in Sunday morning’s shootaround on the practice court at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, but coach Erik Spoelstra said he did not believe the play merited a suspension, which could have been the case with a retroactive Flagrant 2 ruling.
    Back in December, Wade was suspended one game by the NBA for delivering a low blow to Bobcats guard Ramon Sessions. At the time, Wade, who has also been in high-profile incidents with Kobe Bryant and Rajon Rondo, defended himself from accusations that he is a dirty player.

“I’m far from being a dirty player and my intent was never to kick Ramon Sessions,” Wade wrote. “I just reacted to the contact that I got from him. More than anything, I think of my boys watching me before retaliating toward any player. I’m moving forward and ready to get back on the court in Milwaukee.”

Knicks guard J.R. Smith was ejected and later suspended for one game against the Celtics after elbowing Jason Terry in the head during the first-round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Wade, 31, is averaging 13.7 points, 5.3 assists and 5.0 rebounds during the postseason.

Video via YouTube user OUOutreach | Hat tip: CBSSports.com

TAGS: 2013 NBA PLAYOFFS, DWYANE WADE, INDIANA PACERS, LANCE STEPHENSON, MIAMI HEAT

vCash
    Well JR Smith has a reputation and swung his elbow at Terry's head intentionally

Wade at least made his look like an accident

There's a HUGE difference between the two

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HouRealCoach View Post
    Well JR Smith has a reputation and swung his elbow at Terry's head intentionally

only difference is wade is a miami heat and has endorsements LOL, thats the only difference

wade's was clearly on purpose no matter what bias or heat fans say

because he didn't even check to see if he was alright, I've seen stuff where a player would look back and check atleast. wade just pretended it didn't happen which is a sign of guilt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewmania View Post
    only difference is wade is a miami heat and has endorsements LOL, thats the only difference

because he didn't even check to see if he was alright, I've seen stuff where a player would look back and check atleast. wade just pretended it didn't happen which is a sign of guilt

Which also makes it seem like an accident but uhm ...why's he jumping..why's he near that guy? Wade ran down the court and elbowed the guy basically while jr elbowed the guy defending him ...u can at least see jrs point it happens alot but wade ran and leaper to make contact he didnt have a guy leaning on him ...WTF

vCash

Wade is a notoriously dirty player. Not surprised no suspension tho, he plays for team Stern.
    If that was metta you'd be looking at a couple games missed

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Wade is a notoriously dirty player. Not surprised no suspension tho, he plays for team Stern.
    If that was metta you'd be looking at a couple games missed
    Agreed and meta would be like 15 games lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewmania View Post

Wade's elbow didn't even connect with his head, it was his forearm.. & JR Smith got hit & swung his elbow as hard as he could at Terry's temple which could have knocked him out sorta like what MWP

It's not like Stephenson's head snapped back or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker117 View Post
    Agreed and meta would be like 15 games lol
    Well his elbow laid a guy out and gave him a concussion so yeah I could understand that

vCash
    I take that back, Wade has a reputation too... He should have been suspended for a game & fined

Don't know what was thinking

vCash
    Look at JR's elbow again. He comes nowhere near the temple, in fact, he hits Terry in his chest before the elbow even touches his face. No doubt his suspension was warranted, but it is debatable whether JR's is worse than Wade's

vCash
    I take that back, Wade has a reputation too... He should have been suspended for a game & fined

Don't know what was thinking
    yea its funny how people are trying to explain a shot to the head... either way it was a shot to the head and players were fined and suspended for less worse

vCash

Nba is an lol league. Playoffs, finals, draft lotto etc has been set up as best as possible by dictator stern.
    No surprise d wade wasn't suspended (he should've been)
    Cavs won lotto AGAIN post Lebron move to south *****.
    Hope Adam silver makes the league more reputable and less rigged.

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Bias for sure. Not anti-JR/Knick so much as pro-Wade/Heat.

vCash
    Wade's elbow didn't even connect with his head, it was his forearm.. & JR Smith got hit & swung his elbow as hard as he could at Terry's temple which could have knocked him out sorta like what MWP

It's not like Stephenson's head snapped back or something
    It doesn't matter. Intentional or unintentional he should have been at least thrown out of the game. Refs didn't do crap because its the Heat.

vCash

this

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast