Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Report: EDM set to announce Dallas Eakins as Head Coach

The Vancouver Canucks are asking about Dallas Eakins.

The Canucks have requested permission from the Toronto Maple Leafs to talk to Eakins, head coach of the Marlies, about their job opening, according to Hockey Night in Canada.

Eakins is widely viewed as a prime NHL coaching prospect after four seasons behind the bench with the Marlies, helping develop such NHL talent as Nazem Kadri, James Reimer and Jake Gardiner. He has been the Marlies head coach since 2009 and has two years left on a three-year AHL deal that includes a clause allowing him to consider NHL opportunities this summer.

Canucks GM Mike Gillis fired head coach Alain Vigneault and his assistants after the Canucks were swept by the San Jose Sharks in the first round of the NHL playoffs.

The Canucks could simply wait for Eakins’ summertime clause to kick in, but may want to be first in line given the number of head coaching opportunities that are open, or may open up by the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

There is some historic bad blood between the organizations, a feud that is believed by some to have gotten in the way of a trade that would have sent Roberto Luongo to the Leafs.

Much of the core of the current Canucks team was acquired by Dave Nonis, now the GM of the Leafs. Gillis succeeded Nonis with the Canucks.
    Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...ns_report.html

vCash
    ****. Dallas and his wife live there part-time so he will take it.

vCash
    ****!!!!! I want him to stay with the Marlies for at least a few more years. Do you think the Leafs will ask for a trade for someone who is so valuable to the organization??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    ****!!!!! I want him to stay with the Marlies for at least a few more years. Do you think the Leafs will ask for a trade for someone who is so valuable to the organization??
    Kesler? But probably Luongo

vCash
    **** no!! Stay away from Eakins!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Kesler? But probably Luongo
    Hopefully we don't let this become another "dream job" circus like another unnamed Toronto team experienced recently

vCash
    It sucks it's the Canucks. I can't stand Mike Gillis. But it's good to see Eakins probably land a job. It wasn't going to happen here with Carlyle doing a good job. Best of luck to him but I hate the Canucks.

vCash
    I hope Eakins gets an NHL head coaching job. I think he will be in the AHL if he stays here for at least a few more years. It would suck to lose him, but he deserves a chance IMO. I just dont know if Vancouver is a great fit for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
    I hope Eakins gets an NHL head coaching job. I think he will be in the AHL if he stays here for at least a few more years. It would suck to lose him, but he deserves a chance IMO. I just dont know if Vancouver is a great fit for him.
    I agree, I think if you gave him a team like Colorado or Edmonton he could do wonders, he needs young guys he can teach, not the self-promoting, entitled old farts that the Canucks seem to be becoming...

vCash
    I want to hog Eakins. Don't leave Dallas.

He's done an unreal job with the Marlies and our development is ****ed without him. Especially Rielly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    I want to hog Eakins. Don't leave Dallas.

He's done an unreal job with the Marlies and our development is ****ed without him. Especially Rielly.
    I'm concerned about Rielly as well, I was hoping he'd stay until at least after a year or two with the kid.

vCash
    Damnit, Vancouver. Stay away from Eakins.

vCash
    Eakins still has 2 years left on his deal with us but now the Leafs look stupid for putting in that clause that allows him to find an NHL job after that first year. Hopefully being the highest paid AHL coach will be enough for him to finish the contract.

vCash
    I want Eakins to get a promotion. While I think he would be better suited for a team like Edmonton than Vancouver, I hope he gets considered. I know he will be missed in the Leaf organization, but the guy deserves the opportunity the Leafs wont give him right now. He's done a lot for us, I wish him nothing but success.

vCash
    This was reality. He wasn't going to stay around forever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast