Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

ESPN radio - Chuck Persons on Dwight and Pringles (Dantoni)

Q: How his role in D'Antoni's staff changed:

- Under Phil Jackson first, and then Mike Brown, my primary role was defense. But when Mike D'Antoni took over, he wanted to implement his offense, which was his perogative to make the team better going forward. So there wasn't anything I could do with it, and I just had to fit in with whatever role was given to me.

Q: How his release came about:

- I got a call from Mike (D'Antoni) telling me he would me more comfortable bringing in his own coaching staff, which I understood, but I was a little surprised.

Story last season when Andrew Bynum shot a 3-pt and got benched, Kobe Bryant, as the Team Captain, didn't hold Bynum accountable and actually catered to Bynum's action. So Chuck Person got into Kobe's face in the locker room for not being accountable.

Q: What did he say to Kobe about being more accountable regarding that Bynum 3-pt:

- What makes a good assistant is loyalty. What was said, whatever goes in house stays in house.

Q: Why Mike D'Antoni's system didn't worked:

- D'Antoni said on his own accord "3-Pointer takes priority over a Post-up". He said that himself to the team. But eventually the ball has to go inside some, so then of course he made the adjustments, although it was a little late for everyone's liking. But he did it, and we benefited from it going 28-12. Does his system fit everyone? That's to be determined. If a guy doesn't like to play in his system then they'll leave, if they like it, they'll stay.

Q: D'Antoni's relationship with Dwight:

- Dwight Howard's relationship with Mike D'Antoni is... serviceable. When you have 4 superstars like we have last year, not everyone would be happy. You have Kobe who is always strong headed, etc. You have 4 dynamic guys that have been elites and you have a coach that comes in who wants to play with a system that doesn't fit with all the guys. So everyone's to blame, everyone has to comeback and sacrifice to achieve more.

Q: Describe Dwight as a player, and as a person:

- I have a good relationship with Dwight. Whoever gets Dwight will have a special special player in their hands. The guy came back 3 months early because he wanted to show Lakers fans he wanted to play for the Lakers. Once he got into shape we were a Top 5 defensive team in the league. When he's out of the game we are just ranked #26 in defensive efficiency, that's a big discrepancy. Whoever gets this guy, that team will be a championship team every year.

Q: Where do you guess Dwight will sign:

- Dwight loves LA. He loves the city. He knows being here is the creme of the crop. But I know this, he doesn't want to be in a place always fighting just to get into the next round. He's going to go to a team that has the best talent around, and he's going to weigh his options on which team gives him the best chance of winning. This is Dwight's first time in free agency, this is the biggest time in his life. He has the right to be selfish and do what's best for himself, what's best for his family.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=9309562
    3 takes precedent over a post up, making the lead defensive assistant an offensive assistant to ssol which he never played in or ran before when we needed a defensive scheme, etc ... WTF Pringles

vCash
    Can't wait to see if Dwight stays or goes, I'm tired of this already.

vCash
    Hope before draft night dwight already made up his mind..

vCash
    Most damning thing Persons said to me was

Does his system fit everyone? That's to be determined. If a guy doesn't like to play in his system then they'll leave, if they like it, they'll stay.

vCash
    Dwight won't make up his mind for awhile I feel like...

vCash
    It just goes to show you how bad of a coach pringles is

vCash
    I think it would be easier to make it up with Dantoni fired. Either that or Kobe having not gotten hurt. Dwight and Pau got it because Kobe demanded they get the ball in the streak where they wanted. I can imagine Dwight saying ffs to himself because Kobe ain't healthy, I can spend the first two months (Pau too) not getting the ball where I want it or like I should. In fact its a possibility with Dantoni probably saying well I have a training camp now to get ssol forced on them and the first two months are a wash anyway if Kobe isn't right. I think that's how pringles mind will click, and honestly I don't think Dwight wants to risk Pringles ****ing up the team and them having to try and make another miracle charge to the playoffs like last year risking injury and fatigue.
    Last edited by kblo247; 05-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Citanoxeno View Post
    We needed defense and I find it funny that Persons was lead defensive guy under Phil (after Rambis left), then under Brown the year before and to start the year (our record was bad but out scores were low), and Dantoni said no you won't focus on D but on teaching ssol (which you've never coached or played in) to the team as my offensive assistant (wtf was Jordan there for then).

This ladies and gentleman is another example of Phil vs Mike. Phil wanted to make sure he had all his assistants before he just accepted because he wanted to implement the triangle and his D right.

Dantoni decided to say **** it ill make these coaches teach something they don't know, I only need my bro and this team should be able to defend on its own with just 30mins or so of practice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    3 takes precedent over a post up, making the lead defensive assistant an offensive assistant to ssol which he never played in or ran before when we needed a defensive scheme, etc ... WTF Pringles
    and how good was our defense while persons was the assistant? remember how we got throttled under phils last year and under mike brown?

heck when i found out persons was the defensive assistant i thought "dude was a bomber and average on defense, what's he doin teachin it?" it makes more sense he goes on offense, he was an outside shooter.
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    Started from the bottom (30-42, June 1st)
    Now we're here! (92-70, End of Season)
    National League Division Series Champs

vCash
    This is for everybody who was saying Dwight was overrated

The guy came back 3 months early because he wanted to show Lakers fans he wanted to play for the Lakers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    This is for everybody who was saying Dwight was overrated

The guy came back 3 months early because he wanted to show Lakers fans he wanted to play for the Lakers.
    Not only that, it goes to show you we are a ground and pound team inside and pringles could not figure it out till the end and he still won't adjust next year because of his attitude. Howard and Gasol is the guys our offense should have been focused on just like last year when we had Bynum.

vCash
    Seriously, if any of you guys are down to start a campaign to have D'Antoni fires you can definitely count me in. I will literally do anything at this point to convince our FO that he isn't who we or the players want coaching this team. Sign a petition, start a rally, you guys name it.

vCash
    Did Person say anything about D'Antoni or Dwight that we didn't already know?

D'Antoni likes threes and doesn't like the post, our defense is better with Dwight, Dwight could leave.

Nothing new here guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Citanoxeno View Post
    Jimmy still does realize it smh.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Are you kidding me?

"Whoever gets Dwight will be a championship team every year"

hahahah

For real? I dont know who Chuck Persons is but he just lost all credibility with me.

Hey Chuck, tell me why Dwight has been in the NBA for quite a while now and only 1 team snuck into the finals and got spanked. He just played on the most disappointing Lakers team in history. HE has done nothing but create drama and uncertainty for his teams for years - in what universe does that translate to winning championships.

Laker Fans - Laker Organization :

Dwight won't make or break the Lakers

The fact alone that Dwight "isn't sure" about staying with the Lakers is reason enough to write him off in my opinion. What kind of player "isn't sure" about be the lead guy for the most consistent and historic franchise in possibly all of international professional sport?

I'll tell you what kind,

a Loser

Thats right, as Ruslan Tamerlav says, "HES A LOSER"

Dwight is afraid of the spotlight, the expectations, the stress. In fact he is straight up running away from it. He is not the guy for the Lakers. If Phil Jackson was coaching it might be a different story, but even then I'm not 100%.

If we can get a sign and trade together then do it. Send him to the Nets for something and let him never be heard of again. If he walks and Lakers get nothing - oh well. At least we have the cap space in 2014.

I am completely and utterly DONE with Dwight and I hope you all are too. He is not the right guy.
    Proof that I'm Always Right: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=756103
    and http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=773028

New Prediction: LeBron will be Knicks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast