Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Jared Allen Thread (Discussion, News, Ideas, Mullets etc)

Jared Allen - DL - Vikings
    May 23 - 10:23 PM

Vikings RE Jared Allen said he has "absolutely no idea" where he'll be playing football at in 2014.

"I pray about it," Allen said. "I talk to my wife. And we'll end up going where the good Lord takes us. But I don’t know where that path is headed. Best-case scenario would have been that we would have never gotten to this point. Best-case scenario would have been the organization would have gotten something done [on an extension] a few years back." Allen is entering the final year of his contract, and so are fellow defensive ends Brian Robison and Everson Griffen. Allen and the Vikings have yet to discuss an extension.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Vikings' Jared Allen confident going into a contract year
    Article by: DAN WIEDERER , Star Tribune
    Updated: May 24, 2013 - 12:52 AM

This much Jared Allen knows: He’s a Viking for at least one more season, and when fall comes, he’ll be ready.

It’s a Monday in May and Jared Allen is reciting from the Book of Herm. ¶ “You always have to ask, ‘Do you love football or do you love what football gives you?’ ” ¶ The adage is borrowed from Herm Edwards, Allen’s head coach during his final two seasons in Kansas City. But this is the question the Vikings’ Pro Bowl defensive end is reminding himself to consider more as his career heads for an uncertain finishing stretch.

All in all, Allen feels terrific. He’s re-energized. He’s dedicated. He’s eyeing a dominant 2013 and believes he has three or four more good seasons left.

But there is also an intriguing subplot lurking.

In April, Allen turned 31. Two months earlier, he had surgeries to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder and a meniscus problem in his right knee.

And, oh yeah, he has entered the final year in his six-year contract.

So with all factors considered, could this really be Jared Allen’s last season as a Minnesota Viking? A farewell tour?

To be clear, that’s not Allen’s desire. But it could be his reality. Which is why he refuses to spend much time thinking about life beyond January.

“I pray about it,” Allen said.

“I talk to my wife. And we’ll end up going where the good Lord takes us. But I don’t know where that path is headed.”

Money issues

Ask Allen where he envisions himself a year from now and he’s only being honest declaring he has “absolutely no idea.” Prod him for his best-case scenario and he darts around that question as if it were a heavy-footed left tackle.

“Best-case scenario would have been that we would have never gotten to this point,” Allen said. “Best-case scenario would have been the organization would have gotten something done [on an extension] a few years back.

“Well ya know what? That’s not the case. And I understand it. … I’m just happy I’m in a spot where both sides are honoring the contract.”

That contract will pay Allen more than $14.2 million this season. But that also presents the awkward Catch-22. If Allen performs up to that level, the Vikings might have trouble affording the cost to re-sign him.

And if he delivers a subpar season by his standards, the team will have added incentive to find a younger, cheaper replacement.

Allen knows he won’t have full say in where his career finishes. But he does have control over the production he delivers this fall. Which is why he feels a renewed determination to get into the best shape possible.

Shouldering the load

Now in the final stages of his shoulder rehabilitation, Allen feels strong again. Leaner. More refreshed.

Those are all feelings that faded in 2012.

In Week 1, Allen says, he hurt his knee but was “too stubborn to get it checked out,” instead pressing through the discomfort for the next four months.

Even before that, the labrum tear in his shoulder began to worsen. Allen was no longer able to train the way he likes. In the weight room, he often couldn’t squat, unable to get his arm behind his head with the shoulder supporting the weight. Worse, the shoulder pain made nights miserable.

“I’d toss and turn all night, every night,” he said. “You get a couple hours of sleep and then you wake up. And it’s this throbbing, pulsating deep pain like somebody has an ice pick in your shoulder.”

In the last month or so, Allen’s normal sleep has returned, fueling his exuberance. Which is why he has such spirit about attacking his contract year.

“I kind of feel like I hold all the cards in that aspect,” Allen said. “And if it doesn’t work out with the Vikings, I’m not too worried that I won’t be able to find a job, ya know?”

For a beloved and hard-working star who has recorded 74 of his 117 career sacks as a Viking, Allen seems like the last player who’d need to worry about job security. But this is the NFL. And just two months ago, Allen was both stunned and deflated when cornerback Antoine Winfield, 35, was abruptly released.

“Especially with the way he played last year,” Allen said. “You’d have thought, heck if Antoine wants to stay around, he’s sticking around no matter what the cost is. But sometimes you forget what the business of football is.”

Five weeks later, fellow defensive lineman Kevin Williams, 32, had his contract restructured with more than $2.5 million lopped off his 2013 salary and the 2014 portion of his deal eliminated.

In March 2012, guard Steve Hutchinson had his six-year run as a Viking ended when his age (34), bulky contract and suddenly ordinary play convinced the team to release him.

And Allen also points to Matt Birk, whom the Vikings opted not to re-sign in 2008, ending an otherwise stellar 11-year union.

“There is a depressing side of this game,” Allen said. “Not everybody can finish it off like Ray Lewis, right?”

Aiming high

Very few players finish like Lewis did in February, showering in Super Bowl confetti. But it’s certainly an acceptable goal to chase. Which is why Allen has designs on making this season memorable.

He seems conflicted on how to assess his 2012, bristling at the idea that his season was ordinary. He still compiled 12 sacks and made his fifth Pro Bowl.

And, as always, Allen can quickly check off a list of sacks he should’ve had, the ones he says were in his arms. He mentions two on Andrew Luck plus a barely tardy hit on Alex Smith. There was also a sure strip sack Aaron Rodgers ducked out of and …

Well, Allen could keep going and going.

“In most players’ cases it’s the difference between five sacks and 10. Or eight and 12,” he said. “For the elite guys it’s the difference between 12, 13 or 14 and the upper teens and 20s. And that’s a big deal when you’re held to a higher standard.”

But Allen also realizes he wasn’t as disruptive as he could be last year with his injuries diminishing his explosion.

“I watch film and it is that extra inch, two inches, that little inside clear room where you have to push that guy across your body with that shoulder — it just wasn’t there last year,” Allen said. “Normally that gets you a sack versus a pressure. So you try to look at the numbers then and say OK, if I could have gotten 10 more of those on the ground, now we’re talking about NFL history.”

Allen badly wants a bigger piece of NFL history. He wants that single-season sacks record. He wants to win a Defensive Player of the Year award. He thirsts to win a Super Bowl.

With such big goals dangling and his health returning, Allen seems to be winding up to give Minnesota everything he has this season. And yes, it could be his last here.

“No one’s untouchable,” Allen said. “I get that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1.html?refer=y

vCash
    From the things he is saying it is clear to me that thVikings FO is getting a bad reputation for how they treat players. There is no loyalty from their side, and its being noticed. It's great that we drafted 3 first round talents that can have a major impact over the next few years and its great that we have a very talented roster of mostly young players but how many of them are going to want to resign here when they see how SH IT TY our stars are being treated? AD being the exception, although he did sign a Big contract not that long ago, how long before the FO goes to him with "your making to much $ and you have to be restructured or we have to move/cut you"? This is REALLY sad.(and that doesn't quite say it all)

vCash
    I really don't believe that. Loyalty works both ways. Winfield as great as he is and as hard as it had to have been for the Vikings front office to let him go; realized he is not worth the 7mil cap hit at age 36. Jared Allen as HOF as his production has been previously; if he has another year anywhere similar to his 2012 campaign, he is no where near worth a 17mil cap hit. I don't think Jared is feeling like the Vikings front office is mistreating him, he just understands it is a business for both sides and he is going to play his *** off and be loyal to whomever is signing his paycheck and in the off-season if someone wants to pay him more than us; he will be gone.

Besides great teams don't win in the NFL by being loyal to veterans whom are starting to get long in the tooth. There are always exceptions to the rule but I agree with Bill Belichick 100% when he said "I would rather cut/trade a guy a year too early than a year too late."

vCash
    am I allowed to discuss Jared here? I'm confused

and no, I'm not trying to start trouble nor am I trying to p you off.....but a guy in the last year of his contract being paid like Jared is would most definitely be potentially traded during or even prior to that season...and therefore was not illogical to be discussed in a free agency AND TRADE thread
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    A little off topic, but Jared Allen sits right in front of me every Sunday at church. Kinda surreal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Listens View Post
    A little off topic, but Jared Allen sits right in front of me every Sunday at church. Kinda surreal.
    How is the mullet coming along?

vCash
    Do you love church or what the church gives you, lol. I wish my church had that as good motivation to go.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    am I allowed to discuss Jared here? I'm confused

and no, I'm not trying to start trouble nor am I trying to p you off.....but a guy in the last year of his contract being paid like Jared is would most definitely be potentially traded during or even prior to that season...and therefore was not illogical to be discussed in a free agency AND TRADE thread
    Until there is an actual rumor of us trading him then I don't see any reason to discuss him in that thread. My 2 cents anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steved1828 View Post
    I really don't believe that. Loyalty works both ways. Winfield as great as he is and as hard as it had to have been for the Vikings front office to let him go; realized he is not worth the 7mil cap hit at age 36. Jared Allen as HOF as his production has been previously; if he has another year anywhere similar to his 2012 campaign, he is no where near worth a 17mil cap hit. I don't think Jared is feeling like the Vikings front office is mistreating him, he just understands it is a business for both sides and he is going to play his *** off and be loyal to whomever is signing his paycheck and in the off-season if someone wants to pay him more than us; he will be gone.

Besides great teams don't win in the NFL by being loyal to veterans whom are starting to get long in the tooth. There are always exceptions to the rule but I agree with Bill Belichick 100% when he said "I would rather cut/trade a guy a year too early than a year too late."
    I agree with this 100%. Sure you want to be loyal...look at the Bears. Did they really want Urlacher back? Not really but they offered him a low contract in which it wouldn't hurt them. Allen I think still has probably a good 3-4 years left but you have to wonder at what price. I'm all for bringing him back at the right price. No longer than a 4 year deal though.

vCash
    i fully expect the vikings to come to terms with jared before the season but after june 1 st i think that is also why they havent signed their three first rounders. i think it will come down to what kind of season griffen and robison have as to whom gets an extension the odd man out will walki also expect kevin williams to not be back unless he and the rookie mesh into a viable force

vCash
    do you hear him and his wife praying about what he is going to do next year?

as per the other dudes (sorry, forgot who posted it and dont feel like going back to check) comment about Vikes veterans feeling unappreciated and unlikely to resign... i disagree.

kwil.. viking for life (12 years, 3 contracts?), greenway (on his 2nd contract), AP (2nd contract), Winfield did 2 terms, 9 years, before leaving for his twilight contract this year, JA (6 years... LOTS of $... future pending), Loadholt (2nd contract).

a close look at who we have let go after their rookie contracts expired...

sidney "made-of-glass" rice
    percy "im a cantankerous B!otch" harvin

the wilfs have shown a consistent approach in bringing in and/or keeping classy, talented, non-injury-prone players... i approve. if JA sees restructuring as a pay cut, he needs to do a little research. restructure would be spreading his cap hit out over his 3-4 "good years left" at a rate reasonable to the anticipated drop off in production. example:

this year he has a scheduled 17 million cap hit... he says he has "3-4 good years", lets give him 3 after this year, at a decreasing amount of 13 mil, 10 mil, 8 mil... add the 17... total of 48 million over the next 4 years.

restructure and extend to this...

this year: 12 mil
    next year: 12 mil (9 guaranteed *5 from the savings on this year, the rest incentives)
    3rd year: 12 mil (5 guaranteed)
    4th year: 12 mil (nothing guaranteed, but makes the contract number look big... he can feel respected like Flacco and all the other dudes who will never make the money that the contract # says)
    Last edited by wrizzo; 05-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    stickied thread= trying to call attention to thread above others
    closed thread= trying to not all attention to that thread

Closing a stickied thread= I don't get it.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    i think we should restructure J.A for something like 3 years 30 million- now. something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    stickied thread= trying to call attention to thread above others
    closed thread= trying to not all attention to that thread

Closing a stickied thread= I don't get it.
    Why dont you send me a PM and we discuss this. This thread is not the place to be discussing forum rules and protocol.
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 05-25-2013 at 09:39 AM.

vCash
    Jared Allen - DL - Vikings
    May 27 - 8:02 PM

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities "guesses" that the 2013 season will be RE Jared Allen's last as a Viking.

Allen's contract situation has been a talking point over the past week. The 31-year-old is entering the final year of a six-year, $73.26 million contract, and there have been no extension talks between the sides. All five of Allen, DEs Brian Robison and Everson Griffen, and DTs Kevin Williams and Fred Evans are scheduled to be free agents in 2014. Griffen is expected to be "priority No. 1."

Related: Everson Griffen
    Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast