Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

J.R. Smith battled knee pain

New York Knicks sixth man J.R. Smith played in the postseason with fluid in his left knee, a league source confirmed.

It is unclear whether Smith will need to undergo a procedure to drain fluid from his knee at this point, the source said.

A second source close to the player said Smith started complaining about knee pain during the Knicks' first-round series against the Celtics. However, Smith did not mention the injury or any knee pain publicly during the playoffs or use it as an excuse for his poor play. He said after the Knicks' Game 4 loss that he deserved all of the blame for the Knicks' struggles against the Indiana Pacers.

The injury appears to have impacted Smith's shooting.

The NBA's Sixth Man of the Year averaged 22 points on 48 percent shooting in the final month of the regular season but struggled with his shot in the playoffs. He averaged 14.3 points on 33 percent shooting in a disappointing postseason.The New York Post, which earlier reported the injury, reports that Smith likely will have his knee drained in the next two weeks.

Smith got off to a strong start in his first three playoff games, averaging 16.3 points on 43.5 percent shooting. But Smith was suspended for Game 4 of the Knicks-Celtics series for elbowing Jason Terry in the face, then his play suffered. Smith scored 13.5 points on 29 percent shooting in the eight games after the suspension.

Smith is expected to test free agency this summer, and his postseason struggles may impact his market value. New York has Smith's early Bird rights and can offer him a four-year contract starting at approximately $5 million with standard raises. Another team with significant cap space can offer Smith more than $5 million annually.

Carmelo Anthony also dealt with an injury in the playoffs that appeared to impact his play. Anthony suffered a small left shoulder tear late in the regular season that was revealed during an MRI on Wednesday, a league source confirmed. The Knicks are hopeful Anthony will not need surgery, according to the source, who added the team plans to allow its All-Star to rest for the next three to four weeks in an attempt to allow the injury to heal.

Anthony said Monday that the injury, suffered on April 14 against the Pacers, hampered him throughout the postseason.

"It was bothering me since it happened," said Anthony, who shot 40.9 percent from the floor in 12 postseason games after shooting 45 percent during the regular season.
    And the injury woes continue. Makes me wonder if burning ourselves for the number 2 seed was worth it
    Toney the savior

@I_am_iman
    "two very winnable games"...FOH #Knickstape #mobdeep #NYKallday

vCash
    next year a top 4 seed no need to try to get 2nd just HCA
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

NYK
    #3ToTheHead

NYY

Get Up!!!

http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

vCash
    Still waiting on your MRI Tyson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post
    And the injury woes continue. Makes me wonder if burning ourselves for the number 2 seed was worth it
    The Knicks had two hot streaks, and 40 games of .500 ball.

They certainly didn't burn themselves.

Play consistent and you'll never have to play alot.

vCash
    When exactly did JR have fluid build up in his knees? If that was the case why didn't he get it drained like Melo did in the regular season? Excuses I'm not buying it.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 05-24-2013 at 04:03 AM.

vCash
    kudos for playing through it but he cost the team. And pain or no pain, there's no excuse for mental mistakes. He wasn't JUST missing open shots, hew as taking horrible ones

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

vCash
    I've never seen a team so brittle...

vCash
    Maybe his knees wouldn't be hurting if he wasn't partying so much.

vCash
    Just so happens that his bad play started with his ejection and his trash talking that he couldn't back up... I'm not buying into this excuse as to why he played bad

vCash
    He also battled suffered from "dumbass syndrome"

vCash
    excuses, excuses

vCash
    Only J.R. Smith would party away tens and millions of dollars during a contract year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Only J.R. Smith would party away tens and millions of dollars during a contract year.
    Strictly MDMA and the dance floor, not basketball related injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    Strictly MDMA and the dance floor, not basketball related injuries.
    This! Lmao!

vCash

J.R. Smith battled knee pain

Cry me a river

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast