Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

No time like the present to talk about the future

Ok folks, since the season is over for the Mets I was wondering if we could have a discussion of what this team will look like next year.

The starting rotation should be much more formidable -- Harvey, Wheeler, maybe Montero, with Niese, Gee, and friends battlling it out for the 4 and 5 spots.

Looks like we've got a bonafide closer in Bobby Parnell and random selection for the rest of the bullpen, as usual.

Hopefully Travis d'Arnaud will be healthy and ready to take over the catching reigns full time come opening day. David Wright will be back on third. Murphy at second.

Then what?

Any idea how this team expects to fill these gaping holes at shortstop, first base, left field, centerfield, and right field?

Or will I now be asked to write off 2014 too because, hey, we have to continue to let the young kids develop, nearly all of whom are still in the low minors.

Will Wilmer Flores be able to help next year? If so, where? Second base and we move Murph to first? Or do we start out by handing Wilmer a first baseman's glove?

And what are we going to do with the outfield for crissakes? Give Marlon Byrd a long term contract because he's the only one out there who is actually producing?

I'll be at the game today with my good buddy NY Sports Fan and a few other friends. I'm sure this will be a topic of conversation. Yeah, this team is horse crap this year and will be horse crap the remainder of the year. No surprise there as just about everyone in this forum knew that was going to happen. So no, that's not the story.

The story is, even if the two young pitchers named Wheeler and Montero do well next year (not a given), why is there any reason to believe this team won't be horse crap again in 2014?

Seriously, what are the possibilities? We know Sandy won't be looking to the free agent market. And we've got diddly squat for trade bait. So yeah, what is this team going to do for next season?

Just curious.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Choo.
    Stanton.
    Discuss.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Choo.
    Stanton.
    Discuss.
    I'll discuss that thought with a classic tune from the Everly Bros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU3zdAgiX8
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Or will I now be asked to write off 2014 too because, hey, we have to continue to let the young kids develop, nearly all of whom are still in the low minors.

Yes. This is exactly what I have been speaking about since I arrived. The tomorrow that never comes.

It is the same every year, people were saying we'll be able to contend in 2014 because kids will have developed and there's a ton of $$$ coming off, can you find a single Met fans who expects to compete next season?

It's just a shell game. That's all it is. Spend as little as possible without incurring the wrath of the commish, keep talking up this ******** rebuild, make excuses up not to sign anyone, wash rinse repeat - Coupons own the team for another year.

5. 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM
    Reason
    no personal attacks on other members-Clay

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    No free agents= no hope

This will be a telling winter about the future of this team.
    One more offseason of excuses not to spend, there will be no more defending them, you don't build a team on prospects alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok folks, since the season is over for the Mets I was wondering if we could have a discussion of what this team will look like next year.

The starting rotation should be much more formidable -- Harvey, Wheeler, maybe Montero, with Niese, Gee, and friends battlling it out for the 4 and 5 spots.

Looks like we've got a bonafide closer in Bobby Parnell and random selection for the rest of the bullpen, as usual.

Hopefully Travis d'Arnaud will be healthy and ready to take over the catching reigns full time come opening day. David Wright will be back on third. Murphy at second.

Then what?

Any idea how this team expects to fill these gaping holes at shortstop, first base, left field, centerfield, and right field?

Will Wilmer Flores be able to help next year? If so, where? Second base and we move Murph to first? Or do we start out by handing Wilmer a first baseman's glove?

And what are we going to do with the outfield for crissakes? Give Marlon Byrd a long term contract because he's the only one out there who is actually producing?

I'll be at the game today with my good buddy NY Sports Fan and a few other friends. I'm sure this will be a topic of conversation. Yeah, this team is horse crap this year and will be horse crap the remainder of the year. No surprise there as just about everyone in this forum knew that was going to happen. So no, that's not the story.

The story is, even if the two young pitchers named Wheeler and Montero do well next year (not a given), why is there any reason to believe this team won't be horse crap again in 2014?

Seriously, what are the possibilities? We know Sandy won't be looking to the free agent market. And we've got diddly squat for trade bait. So yeah, what is this team going to do for next season?

Just curious.
    Simple, Move Duda to 1st and sign 2 OF Free Agents or trade for one and sign one.

Harvey and Wheeler are nice TORP (Top Of Rotation Pitchers).
    Niese becomes the #3.
    Fill in the rest of the rotation with either a Free Agent signing or from the Minors.

By the way your last sentence is a whole bunch of wrong.

Prospect can be used as trade bait and Murphy can be had for the right price.

Also ask NY Sports Fan if he likes Princeton Alum Matthew Bowman? I know he is a be fan of Princeton and Duke.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Possible Free Agents
    Choo
    Pence
    Ellsbury
    Garza
    Cano?

Remember the Mets will have roughly 50 million coming off the books, and with salary increases they should be looking at about 35-40 million to spend at the current payroll.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Possible Free Agents
    Choo
    Pence
    Ellsbury
    Garza
    Cano?

Remember the Mets will have roughly 50 million coming off the books, and with salary increases they should be looking at about 35-40 million to spend at the current payroll.

They won't spend anywhere near that on new players.

vCash
    We'll see.

vCash
    We'll see.

With falling revenue and Fredo's caveat, we'll be seeing a lot less being spent than people envisage IMO.

To answer the questions raised in post 1, through failing to improve for years on end the Mets have a team that has far too many holes. The offense is basically two-deep, with a promising but injury-prone catcher on the way. The offense needs 3 OF'ers, a short stop and a 1B.

That's five players without even thinking about the BP or rotation.

I'm not convinced by the Puello's, Vaughn's and Lagares of this world, just like I was not convinced by the Niewienweises and Duds. There's very little bankable hitting talent in the minors and the best of them is years away. Guys like Flores have proven nothing either. We have all seen endless prospects with good MLB numbers who fail.

So to me, it already looks like we'll be tossing 2014 on to the bonfire as well, whilst playing our best ever player $20M to play Golf in October. Rewind just 8-9 months ago and everyone told me that we'd be ready to compete in 2014, especially if we just did nothing and tossed away 2013.

We won't be competing in 2014 either, how long before we're asked/informed/persuaded that it's fine to toss 2014 away, and then 2015 while we're at it?
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 05-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.

vCash
    Simple, Move Duda to 1st and sign 2 OF Free Agents or trade for one and sign one.

Harvey and Wheeler are nice TORP (Top Of Rotation Pitchers).
    Niese becomes the #3.
    Fill in the rest of the rotation with either a Free Agent signing or from the Minors.

By the way your last sentence is a whole bunch of wrong.

Prospect can be used as trade bait and Murphy can be had for the right price.

Also ask NY Sports Fan if he likes Princeton Alum Matthew Bowman? I know he is a be fan of Princeton and Duke.
    I know he's a huge fan of Duke. Didn't know about Princeton.

re: The rest of your post: I'll believe it when I see it.

vCash
    And my opinion is different than that.

As I said "We'll see."

vCash
    Three years in and the naysayers on Alderson and his regime are way ahead of the game.

vCash
    Why is that?

Because they should have drafted Courtney Hawkins?

vCash
    Why is that?

Because they should have drafted Courtney Hawkins?

Hawkins or Giolito.

No, the standings and the roster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast