Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Orioles bringing up up Gausman, number 2 prospect

Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman
    By Max Fogle [May 21 at 10:30pm CST]
    The Orioles are expected to promote right-hander Kevin Gausman, according to Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com (on Twitter). Gausman will make his big league debut on Thursday night, taking the mound against the Blue Jays.

Gausman ranked No. 26 on both Baseball America's and Keith Law's prospect rankings, while MLB.com listed him ten spots lower at No. 36. Prior to the season, BA wrote that Gausman's "aptitude and intelligence help set him apart." The youngster, who is second only to Dylan Bundy in Baltimore's system, is praised by BA for his premium fastball and changeup.

If he sticks on the O's roster, Gausman could potentially gain Super Two status and trigger arbitration a year early. Had the the Orioles waited until mid-June or later to promote the pitcher, they could have avoided the possibility of him becoming a Super Two player after the 2015 season. For now, the 22-year-old is slated to be under team control through 2019.

vCash
    I am shocked by this and yet not shocked. He stayed with the big league club until late in spring training. Guess DD was talking out of both sides of his mouth when he said guasman wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. But this to me says a lot on how the club feels about Arrieta, I heard with him or McFarland would get the start on Thursday.

vCash
    Interesting, just hope we didn't rush him and hurt his development. Can't wait to see him pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesJagsOs View Post
    Interesting, just hope we didn't rush him and hurt his development. Can't wait to see him pitch.
    I love the move! He's a 22 year old man who's ready now. It's not like he's fresh out of high school

His fastball has already reached its potential of a 7. His change up will most likely improve slightly to a 7. His control has improved a ton! He has an about 10/1 K to BB ratio. He strikes out slightly more than 1 per inning. The man is clearly ready. Especially when you look at the trouble the starting staff is having as a whole.

I'll tell ya what............I would love to have him and Bundy at the top of my rotation!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I love the move! He's a 22 year old man who's ready now. It's not like he's fresh out of high school

His fastball has already reached its potential of a 7. His change up will most likely improve slightly to a 7. His control has improved a ton! He has an about 10/1 K to BB ratio. He strikes out slightly more than 1 per inning. The man is clearly ready. Especially when you look at the trouble the starting staff is having as a whole.

I'll tell ya what............I would love to have him and Bundy at the top of my rotation!
    Yeah man, I get that. He was known as someone who wouldn't take long to get up here and has been killing it down in the minors, just saying.

Can't wait to see the guy pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesJagsOs View Post
    Yeah man, I get that. He was known as someone who wouldn't take long to get up here and has been killing it down in the minors, just saying.

Can't wait to see the guy pitch.
    Me too! I put in for him on my fantasy team. I will know in the morning if I won him!

vCash
    Not a bad first outing. Tor is a house of horrors for us normally. And FYI, Strop continues to suck.

vCash
    Looked good. BJs looked better. I think he'll stick. 99 mph is something. A few Ks too. I think he's a top of the rotation guy. We need Bundy to get healthy. The rotation by next year and for many years to come... hopefully-
    Gausman- 22
    Tillman- 26
    Chen- 28
    Eduardo Rodriguez- 20

With Miguel Gonzalez, Hammel, Steven Johnson, Britton, Wada, Arietta and Hunter available for long relief, spot starts or trades.

Am I being over optimistic?

PS- Matt Hobgood looks really good in the minors. Imagine if he finds himself?

vCash
    I have never been high on hobgood. Rodriguez I think is years away he's no where near ready. Gausman is probably the most polished and bundy even if he comes back this year after
    The plasma replacement treatment he's going to need a lot of time to get back into the swing of things. that's if the plasma treatment works. I just am putting him out until next year at the big league level.

I like Chen but he just switched over to Agent Satan recently.

I also like miggy to stick I. The rotation.

vCash
    I think guasman stick until Chen returns. I see a lot on twitter saying he's in way over his head. And that may be true, but the guy was just pitching for LSU less than a year ago.
    Seeing too many fans say Gausman is overhyped. He's
    Got the tools to be a top of the rotation guy. He's very mature and I dont think he's going to be negatively impacted by these starts.

vCash
    Yep. Agreed. I think we need to send him back down before he loses all his confidence. I definitely think he'll be a top of the line too. I think Steve Johnson should take over for him for now. We need to protect this kid.

vCash
    It's been two starts. Outside of the homers, he has pitched well. They brought him here to stay. The only way I see him getting sent down to AAA is if he continually gives up 4 ER every outing while only going 5 Innings.

vCash
    I agree that he hasn't looked bad but he needs to learn to stay away big inning. More Consistency Needed- Baseball is such a mental game and I fear that too much failure will turn him into ...

Matusz (At least as a starter)
    Britton
    Arrieta

Let's just say we have a history of screwing guys up from bring them up too early.

Speaking of that, Tillman. What the heck was that about? Let's not make a habit of those types of outings again. I'm hoping he turned the corner and won't end up on this O's busted pitching prospect list. More Consistency Please.

vCash
    Tillman gets a pass tonight, he's been out best starter all year. It his 1st real stinker all year.

Gausman isn't going anywhere until Chen returns. He's getting his next start against Detroit this weekend. He's young and based off what I have seen and heard he's not letting this get him down. He has filthy stuff, he's relying on his FB a little to much right now. His secondary pitches are good but he's not polished yet. I don't see him doing a Matusz.

Good win tonight. After trailing by so much early. Glad to see the fellas still fight and grind out every out.

vCash
    The thing that irked me about Gausmans start is the 0 ks. Against a miserable lineup i expected much more. I worry that sending him against the tigers could be a huge mistake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast