Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Jay Cutler and the West Coast Offense

Potential is a word that has followed Jay Cutler around since he was the 11th overall selection in the 2006 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos. He was starting to live up to that potential, when in 2008 he was voted to play in the Pro Bowl. After that season he was traded to the Chicago Bears, and he hasn't been able to recapture his 2008 form.

Was that more due to his supporting cast, to his coaching, the offensive scheme, or did Jay simply regress as a player?

Honestly, I think it may be a combination of all four. Until last season he was missing the security blanket of a legitimate #1 receiver. When he was in Denver he not only had Brandon Marshall, but a competent tight end, a good #2 wide out, and a solid slot receiver. Not to mention a very good offensive line that only allowed Cutler to be sacked 11 times in 2008. Remember Cutler was dropped 10 times in one game in 2010 with the Bears.

Cutler has been pressured a lot during his time in Chicago, and that has led to some sloppier fundamentals. When you start quarterbacking gun shy, your footwork starts to slip, as does your follow through. He spent so much time being hit, that he started anticipating pressure that wasn't always there.

Jay Cutler also spent the first three years of his career being coached by an offensive minded coach in Mike Shanahan, who utilizes a version of the West Coast Offense. The WCO was also what he ran during his first year as a Bear, before giving way to the Martzfense for a couple years, and then last year to what ever you want to call the Mike Tice O.

Which catches us up to 2013 and the current scheme being implemented by Marc Trestman. While we don't know the specifics of his offense, we do know it's rooted in the WCO. An style of offense that Jay had his season bests in yards, touchdowns, completion percentage, and QB rating. You can check out his entire seven year totals by clicking here, and this table represents his four years in the WCO.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/201...-coast-offense

If you take his four year WCO totals, then do a little math, you come up with a per game average of 21 completions, 33 attempts, and 239 yards per game. You then extrapolate that out to a 16 game season, and you have 336 completions, 528 attempts, 3824 yards, and to take it even further the TD to Interceptions would be 24 to 19. During his WCO years, the percentage of times he was sacked per attempt was 4.6%.

While those extrapolated numbers aren't world beating, that would be a solid stat line.

For comparisons sake here are his per game averages during his last three years, 17 comp., 30 att., and 216 yards. Do a little fancy math extrapolation and we have a 16 game season stat line of 272 of 480, for 3456 yards, with 22 TD, and 14 Ints. His sack percentage per attempt in the Mike Martz and Mike Tice years was 8.7%.

The big difference between the two eras is obviously the sack percentage. So it begs the question, is his success in the WCO more due to his actually having time to throw those few years, or to his skill set translating more to the scheme?

The 2013 Chicago Bears offensive line has the potential to be the best one he's played with since his Denver days. The '13 Chicago receiving combination of Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, Earl Bennett, and Matt Forte is potentially better than the Marshall, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Stokley, and Peyton HiIlis that Cutler worked with in his Pro Bowl 2008 season.

There's no question Jay Cutler has the potential to pop off 4,000 yards passing, complete over 60% of his passes, and throw 25 TDs, but will he do it this season? Will Jay best be able to reach his full potential in Trestman's WCO? Is an offensive minded head coach what he needs to reach his potential? Time will tell, but there's no question he has had his most statistical success in those scenarios.
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/201...-coast-offense

Man, I sure wish JC would start slinging the ball like he did in Denver. Maybe in 2013.....

vCash

Jay Cutler and the West Coast Offense

Exactly why I see this season as a boom rather than a bust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbyBlue2009 View Post
    Exactly why I see this season as a boom rather than a bust.
    I hope you're right, I'd love to see the Bears as NFC North Champs...maybe even SB Champs??

vCash
    The potential and possibilities are there. I hope he can produce and be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DESERTDWELLER View Post
    I hope you're right, I'd love to see the Bears as NFC North Champs...maybe even SB Champs??
    I think the North is honestly ours to lose this season... Here's my reasoning:

GB: Did nothing to help their line... A-Rod will be lucky to not get injured this season, and he will have a down year because of lack of protection. Couple this with the fact that even when they where a superbowl contending team, every game between us/them was within 1 score... I firmly believe our revamped offense can average 14 extra points over previous seasons/game and that our defense has actually improved/if not stayed the same.

Minn: They where very beatable last year, again we lost mostly because of our pathetically anemic offense. Now, they did go crazy in the draft, but these kids are rookies (which are almost always worthless their first year). The Vikes will be very beatable early, but will grow to be a good team by the end of the season. I actually see them narrowly edging out Green Bay this year for the #2 spot in the North (but not making playoffs)

Detroit: They didn't get enough in the draft, and aren't managed well enough to be a real contender. Their offense can put some numbers up, but as long as you cover Megtron these lions are mostly kittens, and they have trouble scoring. I don't see them being anything other than a team you can lose to via not taking them seriously

As far as Superbowl is concerned....Being brutally honest here... I just don't see it.... Lot's of things would need to happen around the team for that to occur, including a bunch of our unknown or inconsistent assets stepping up and delivering, for an entire season.

-Jeffery needs to step up
    -Bennet needs to show consistency at a top level, instead of just sporadic flashes
    -Cutler needs to have time to make a good choice
    -Cutler needs to prove he can actually make the right choice when given time/have trust in his receivers
    -E.Rod needs to fulfill the promise of his potential
    -Forte needs to have a better season. He's a great workhorse, but I'd like to see him getting some actual points, instead of a nice chipshot for Robbie Gould
    -Gould needs to be healthy/recovered
    -I mostly trust our defense , but McClellin needs to step it up big time. I'm still thinking he was a waste of a draft pick thus far.
    -Our defense needs to be able to make at least half of the turnovers we achieved last season
    -Hester needs to gain positive yardage, and at least 3 TD-returns this season.
    -Our entire team needs about HALF of the brainless-drive killer penalties we had from last season. Seemed like we had at least 2 a game that cost us a first down.
    -Coaches gotta figure out how to utilize all of the above players effectively

That's a big list of things that all need to happen for us to really threaten a Superbowl. I think Tresty is trying to adress most of it, but he'd be one hell of a miracle worker if all those problems disappeared, without any major new ones popping up.

6. 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
    Reason
    Baiting/Trolling - SFrush90

7. 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
    Reason
    Baiting/Trolling - SFrush90

vCash
    I think the increased protection is going to be a big determining factor. If Jeffery can develop into a true Z receiver I think the offense can be pretty good. Everyone just needs to understand that historically offenses in their first seasons generally struggle. Going back the last 10 seasons, only about 1 team a season with a new offensive scheme has finished in the top 16 in terms of points. That doesn't mean there won't be improvement, just that I'm skeptical the offense will light the world on fire. Remember in year 2 under Martz Jay was having the second best season of his career and that offense was averaging more than 30 points a game after the first Detroit game.

The one silver lining is that Jim Harbaugh has said he uses the exact same terminology and philosophies of running an offense as Trestman and we saw how much of a leap that 49ers offense made in one year. So I'm hopeful.

OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)

Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

-Malcolm Reynolds