Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

JR Smith "I want to retire a Knick"

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=250165

INDIANAPOLIS — After it ended, J.R. Smith said he looked at his Knicks jersey and thought about how he doesn’t want to leave New York.

“I want to retire a Knick,” said Smith, who can opt out of his contract this offseason, in the aftermath of the Knicks’ season-ending 106-99 Game 6 defeat. “I don’t want to go anywhere else.”
    PM for my contact information.

vCash
    JR is loyal. He will be back. He played himself out of that big time contract we were all worried he'd get. JR is not the problem, the Knicks reliance on JR to be hot is the problem. A full dose of Copeland next year in a steady role can alleviate that problem IMO. I think he's good enough a scorer.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Retire a knick? Imagine watching JR for another 5-7 years, no thanks. Give him his 2-3 year contract at a reasonable price thats it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    Retire a knick? Imagine watching JR for another 5-7 years, no thanks. Give him his 2-3 year contract at a reasonable price thats it.
    Disrespect to the second best player we've had all year, a guy who played all 82 games and was one of the best 6th men in Knicks history. JR at 5M is still a bargain. You should look past the playoff when evaluating guys who were here all year long. He slumped at the worst time but that won't happen every time.

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Disrespect to the second best player we've had all year, a guy who played all 82 games and was one of the best 6th men in Knicks history. JR at 5M is still a bargain. You should look past the playoff when evaluating guys who were here all year long. He slumped at the worst time but that won't happen every time.
    I think we kind of have to resign J.R. at this point as there are no better options. He better not get anything past a two year deal though. Not gonna cut into 2015 cap space for the dude.

Also, there's no way we can go into next season with him being the #2.

vCash
    I agree 2-3 years at 5.5 million per year that's what I meant by reasonable price after his performance. Maybe I'm just speaking on emotions but JR and all his partying before games during the playoffs just didn't sit right with me. If a team looks passed the playoffs when their evaluating him then someone will give JR 7 million imo.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 05-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.

vCash
    umm I thought he retired and that was his brother playing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    umm I thought he retired and that was his brother playing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    I think we kind of have to resign J.R. at this point as there are no better options. He better not get anything past a two year deal though. Not gonna cut into 2015 cap space for the dude.

Also, there's no way we can go into next season with him being the #2.
    I don't think were gonna be able to find a better number 2 given our options, but I think we need someone capable of being 2A and 2B with JR. A guy capable of stepping up and giving 20 if JR is slumping. We learned about JR's lengthy slumps and lengthy peaks. When hes down its gonna be a couple weeks til hes back. When hes back hes its gonna be a couple weeks til hes down. He doesn't just have a bad game and a good game, he had a bad stretch and a torrid stretch. He's only a capable #2 during his torrid stretches.

Honestly, a healthy dose of Cope, a speed demon draft pick PG, and a vet min stretch 4 could possibly be the difference. I don't think were that far off. We didn't play anywhere near the best we've played all season, nowhere near our peak and were 2 games from the ECF. The East will be better next year but I don't see anyone except Chicago and possibly Boston if they keep Pierce and KG and get retool around Rondo hopping into the pack of top 3 East teams. The road will be tougher next year but were not gonna be in capable of competing with the top teams outside of Miami to be the #2 East team again. 3-4 might be more realistic next year but were gonna have a shot to make the ECF and hopefully the Finals again.

I think the West is deeper but overrated, we are capable of beating anyone out West. We just need to get our fair punchers chance at Miami and I think that will be a realistic goal again next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    I agree 2-3 years at 5.5 million per year that's what I meant by reasonable price after his performance. Maybe I'm just speaking on emotions but JR and all his partying before games during the playoffs just didn't sit right with me. If a team looks passed the playoffs when their evaluating him then someone will give JR 7 million imo.
    I don't think theres a realistic market out there for 7M JR and I don't think JR leaves for an extra 2M per.

You guys make good points about extending past 2 years. I personally don't think we are gonna have a ton of cap anyway. I see Tyson and Melo resigning here. Tyson hinges on his next 2 years - if he continues to decline as he ages than we don't resign him unless its for dirt cheap to be a backup and retire here, I think Melo is resigned and finishes his career here and I think he plays well deep into his 30s like Paul Pierce. I also think JRs best years are ahead of him. I think Felton and Novak's contract shows were not planning on going all in for that FA period anyway.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 05-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.

vCash
    he looked so sad in the postgame, Im pissed at him for the stupidity but I love the passion he plays with and if used correctly as a reserve and actually a spark plug instead of our second "star" he is one of the best in the league at that role. Its up to the Gm to get some help and I feel confident in Grunny.
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksPain View Post
    he looked so sad in the postgame, Im pissed at him for the stupidity but I love the passion he plays with and if used correctly as a reserve and actually a spark plug instead of our second "star" he is one of the best in the league at that role. Its up to the Gm to get some help and I feel confident in Grunny.
    Grunwald is gonna drop a gem on us again next year. He does very year - Pablo, Lin, Novak, Copeland. Random unknown dude will contribute next year in addition to our first rounder, vet min guys and hopefully a minor trade or something of the like (Camby for Glen Davis or something).

vCash
    let him go in a matter a fact i'd shop him around and find the best sign an trade possibility

vCash
    I don't think theres a realistic market out there for 7M JR and I don't think JR leaves for an extra 2M per.

You guys make good points about extending past 2 years. I personally don't think we are gonna have a ton of cap anyway. I see Tyson and Melo resigning here. Tyson hinges on his next 2 years - if he continues to decline as he ages than we don't resign him unless its for dirt cheap to be a backup and retire here, I think Melo is resigned and finishes his career here and I think he plays well deep into his 30s like Paul Pierce. I also think JRs best years are ahead of him. I think Felton and Novak's contract shows were not planning on going all in for that FA period anyway.
    We're obviously not going all in on it, but the fact that all our major players expire at the same time kind of indicates that it we'd like the flexibility of having the opportunity of starting over.

vCash
    Right before the season ended everyone was saying JR has turned the corner and is turning into a star. Bill Simmons was saying he'll get a 50M contract on the open market. I compared him to Crawford, even though Crawford has proven more in his career, he received a modest short term contract.

JR proved something the last two post seasons.

1. He's not a number two option
    2. He can't be relied upon for his scoring. Maybe his style of play is not fit for the post season when teams step up their D or maybe he cant play under the pressure.
    3. He'll continue to be JR. This was the year that people were praising him for his maturity, but he continued to back to his old ways. He got into near fights several times during the season. His unnecessary elbow to terry extended that series to 6 games. He was partying throughout the post season even though he was badly struggling.

Is he talented? Yes, but so are guys like Nate Robinson. Teams stay away from these guys for a reason.
    We should give him a reasonable 2-3 year contract. I appreciate the fact that he took a massive pay cut to stay with this team, but at the same time we have done a lot for him as well. The last thing I want to do is hand out another Novak contract.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast