Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

[ESPN] Agent - Copeland Wants To get Paid

Chris Copeland's agent, John Spencer, told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday that the Knicks are planning to give the rookie forward a qualifying offer for next season. Spencer also said his client "really wants to return" to the team.

"He loves the city, he's from Jersey and he wants to play as well," Spencer said. "There's no better bright lights where guys want to play other than New York, and he wants to try to find a way to stay in town."

This summer, the Knicks could make Copeland a restricted free agent by giving him a qualifying offer before June 30. That offer for next season would be for $988,872 (the second-year veteran's amount of $788,872 plus a non-Bird exception of $200,000). Pablo Prigioni is in the same boat financially. Even with a qualifying offer, however, the Knicks would still have to match a higher offer from another team.

Spencer confirmed that not only does Copeland want to "play and contribute" next season, but he also "wants to get paid." Spencer said Copeland believes he has earned his stripes playing overseas in five different countries and now proving with the Knicks that he belongs in the NBA. Per 36 minutes this season, Copeland averaged 20.3 points per game and shot 42.1 percent from 3-point range.

Spencer envisions Copeland's value to be in the $3.5 to $5 million range. Spencer compared his client to Steve Novak, who's in about the $4 million range, and said that because Copeland is more versatile offensively as a stretch 4, he'll be an attractive free agent. In fact, a source familiar with Copeland's situation said three teams at this point are interested in negotiating with him come July 1.

Other factors in Copeland's favor are his improved aggressiveness and defensive instincts. In the Knicks' Game 5 win over the Pacers, instead of watching shots go up, as he did more so during the regular season, he tracked the ball much better on the offensive glass. Then on the defensive end, he read passing lanes well, coming up with two steals and converting one of them with a transition 3-pointer. He also applied strong post-up pressure on David West.

In addition, Copeland's poise in the high-pressure environment of New York, growth under the tough-love guidance of Mike Woodson and the respect he's received from his veteran teammates will all help Spencer pitch for his client.

The Knicks' first order of free-agency business will be deciding on J.R. Smith. But even if the team offers him $4.91 million using an early-Bird exception, they could still use their taxpayer mid-level exception of $3.18 million to sign Copeland. That's if he declines the qualifying offer.

The Knicks would also have to evaluate Prigioni, Kenyon Martin and potentially Earl Barron for veteran's minimum deals. Barron is a younger big than the others the team had this season, and he's a skilled scorer and rebounder. In the draft, the Knicks might focus on a younger, explosive point guard with their first-round pick. Perhaps Shane Larkin?

With a few exceptions, the Knicks might not have to look too far this offseason to re-tool their roster. Copeland is in that mix, especially with assistant GM Allan Houston being "really high on him," as Spencer pointed out.

"I think he'll find a home some place, and I'm hoping that it's in New York," Spencer said. "It will be crazy if they let him go."

If they do, another team might get lucky.
    Source: ESPN.com

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    Lol. Watch him leave and put up Melo numbers. I hope we resign him.

Do we have his bird rights or anything? Is this similar to the Novak situation or anything? What can we offer him?

vCash
    Pretty misleading title given everything that was said outside of the bold. That is nothing more than his agent doing his job to position his client for the best possible situation. His goal is probably to force the Knicks to use their MMLE on him and his client is where he wants to be and got himself a contract. I personally would use it to resign Cope. He made huge strides this year from start to finish on D and his scoring is 6MOY worthy if given the time. He could average 15-17 ppg on pretty solid efficiency if given the touches and consistent role/minutes.

I think a full dose of a 2nd year Cope getting a consistent role makes us a better team. I would feel good going into next year with him, Shump, our first rounder and hopefully another Pablo/Cope/Lin unknown gem that Grunwald seems to drop on us each year. Theres ways to improve and be a better team next season. Not necessarily a one year run.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 05-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    The more he performs in the playoffs the higher his demands will be. With that said...I hope he continues playing his *** off.
    The Knicks are back!

vCash
    i don't even want to think about the offseason, i'm hyped about tomorrow. We wouldnt even be in this position if woodson wouldve freakin played copeland in the first place

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    i don't even want to think about the offseason, i'm hyped about tomorrow. We wouldnt even be in this position if woodson wouldve freakin played copeland in the first place
    This! I was literally screaming at my tv calling Woodson everything but a child of god. No reason for him to wait for desperation. He deserved to play from the Celtic series. Smh.

vCash
    Didn't the new CBA make some changes that makes it easier to sign guys who you gave "chances" to on one year deals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsOfQueens View Post
    Lol. Watch him leave and put up Melo numbers. I hope we resign him.

Do we have his bird rights or anything? Is this similar to the Novak situation or anything? What can we offer him?
    No different situations, Cope is as good as gone imo another Shawne Williams situation.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 05-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Pretty misleading title given everything that was said outside of the bold. That is nothing more than his agent doing his job to position his client for the best possible situation. His goal is probably to force the Knicks to use their MMLE on him and his client is where he wants to be and got himself a contract. I personally would use it to resign Cope. He made huge strides this year from start to finish on D and his scoring is 6MOY worthy if given the time. He could average 15-17 ppg on pretty solid efficiency if given the touches and consistent role/minutes.

I think a full dose of a 2nd year Cope getting a consistent role makes us a better team. I would feel good going into next year with him, Shump, our first rounder and hopefully another Pablo/Cope/Lin unknown gem that Grunwald seems to drop on us each year. Theres ways to improve and be a better team next season. Not necessarily a one year run.
    Maybe but if he's a real threat next season and teams start game planning for him than I'm not sure what type of numbers he would put up. Cope won't average anywhere near 15-17 on this team, only way I see that happening is if J.R. leaves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzace137 View Post
    Maybe but if he's a real threat next season and teams start game planning for him than I'm not sure what type of numbers he would put up. Cope won't average anywhere near 15-17 on this team, only way I see that happening is if J.R. leaves.
    Yea I think he'd be more of a 10-12 ppg scorer here in a consistent 25 min off the bench role. He doesn't have a whole lot of holes in his offensive game. He can stroke the 3, he can post you up down low, he has little hook shots and finishes well around the rim, he can get his own shot off whenever he wants in the midrange. I honestly don't know how this guy hasn't been in the NBA for the past few years. Makes you wonder what type of talent is out there that could make a difference in the NBA and everyone is sleeping on it.

vCash
    Some team will "overpay" for him.

He's a 28 year old rookie, I see a team like the Hawks, Suns, or Minny offering 3 mil, which we shouldn't match...

2 year bi anual deal for this guy or 3 with player option. 5.7 mil for 3 years player option for the 3rd - with Incentives.

vCash
    he has to try and get paid.. hes in his prime.. best chance to cash in..
    People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer
    Guess its just a theory of man became a monster, atop of the world
    Never fallin', I'm as real as they come from day one, forever ballin'
    C'mon

vCash
    Can you say Shawn Williams?

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    lol ...everybody wants to get paid....but it kills me to see guys get paid cuz they made some 3 pt shots but can't play a lick of defense...unbelievable.

Then you get guys like Steve Novak that cash in on a few good games but forget how to shoot after he got paid.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    He deserves to get paid. Hopefully we can afford him.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast