Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Minor League Thread 5/14/2013

Matthew Bowman 7 innings and 1 hit. 9 k's and 1 walk

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Need to see him in AA before getting excited.

vCash
    I'm intrigued by Bowman. He doesn't have great stuff but he has deception in his delivery. He's pitched well so far in St. Lucie. The big test will be to see how he does in AA, but I think he's a guy to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYman15 View Post
    I'm intrigued by Bowman. He doesn't have great stuff but he has deception in his delivery. He's pitched well so far in St. Lucie. The big test will be to see how he does in AA, but I think he's a guy to watch.
    I watched him throw in Savannah on opening day, and he seemed okay, but nothing about him opened my eyes. I remember he came out of the gate throwing his breaking stuff for strikes frequently. By the fourth inning he seemed to tire and lost command, at which point batters sat on his FB.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    New league? 10:30 a.m. game? No problem for Mets prospect Matt Bowman.

Making just his second Florida State League start, the 21-year-old right-hander tossed seven one-hit frames, striking out a career-high nine batters, as St. Lucie blanked visiting Brevard County, 4-0.

Reliever T.J. Chism retired all six Manatees he faced -- three via strikeout -- to complete the Mets' one-hitter.

"You never really want the early game," Bowman said. "You can fall into the trap of thinking you're prepared when you aren't, but I got to bed early last night and tried to get into my routine this morning."

That routine proved highly effective for Bowman, who retired the first eight batters he faced before yielding a two-out single to Brevard County center fielder Chadwin Stang in the third inning.

"I tried to set him up with a fastball away then bring a fastball in, but I missed my spot. I think I jammed him a little bit, but he got it out into left field. It wasn't a good pitch -- I was lucky he didn't hit it harder."

A leadoff walk to Manatees second baseman Gregory Hopkins was the only other flaw in Bowman's outing, as he set down his last 12 batters in order.

"My splitter was working best today, then the curve and slider," Bowman said. "My fastball command came and went as the game went along, but everything was working pretty well."

A 13th-round pick out of Princeton in 2012, Bowman spent last summer working largely as a reliever for Class A Short-Season Brooklyn, going 2-2 with three saves and a 2.45 ERA. In his brief professional career, the Washington, D.C.-area native has demonstrated remarkable control: last year he fanned 30 and walked two in 29 1/3 innings, while this season he's struck out 42 and walked six over 43 2/3 frames.

Bowman began the 2013 campaign in the Savannah Sand Gnats rotation, earning a no-decision against Rome on Opening Day before reeling off four consecutive wins. He went a career-long eight innings against Kannapolis on May 1 in his final South Atlantic League outing before earning a promotion to St. Lucie.

"It's only been two games, but the hitters [in the Florida State League] seem to have more of a structured approach at the plate," Bowman said. "The Sally League had more free-swingers."

Even so, FSL hitters haven't been able to do much with Bowman in his two starts -- he's 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in his two appearances with the Mets.

While Bowman and Chism were stifling Manatees hitters, the St. Lucie lineup provided an early edge, scoring a pair of runs in the first inning and two more in the third.

The Mets' top four hitters -- second baseman T.J. Rivera, designated hitter Matt Reynolds, shortstop Brandon Hicks and left fielder Dustin Lawley -- provided the bulk of the offense, going a combined 6-for-16 with three doubles and all four RBIs and runs scored. St. Lucie's five-through-nine hitters were 1-for-16 with eight strikeouts.

Hicks got the Mets on the board with a two-run single in the first inning, then doubled and scored on Lawley's two-run two-bagger in the third.

Brevard County starter Drew Gagnon, the Brewers' No. 13 prospect, fell to 3-3 with the loss. He allowed four runs -- three earned -- on six hits while fanning six over four frames.

The one-hit defeat dropped Brevard County's team batting average four points to .227, worst in the FSL. The Manatees have struck out more than any team on the circuit and are tied for the second-fewest walks drawn.

Having split two games in St. Lucie, the series shifts to Brevard County for a pair of games on Wednesday and Thursday. The two clubs will meet for another split four-game set in mid July.

John Parker is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._milb&sid=milb
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...bound-for-exam

Top prospect Zack Wheeler told trainers on Monday about soreness in his right clavicle and is being dispatched to New York for further examination, assistant GM John Ricco said.

Manager Terry Collins said the initial belief is the injury is not serious and Wheeler will only need to miss one Triple-A start. Ricco said Wheeler already has been examined by a doctor in Las Vegas, but out of an abundance of caution given the importance of Wheeler to the organization, Mets doctors will take a firsthand look, too.

"He's going to most likely miss his next start," Ricco said. "It was nothing that happened during the last outing. It was something that he felt a couple of days after. It's near his right clavicle. That's all I have right now until we have a doctor see him tomorrow. I think we're being a little bit conservative given who it is."

Wheeler joins top catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud as a Las Vegas player on the shelf and due to be examined by team doctors. D'Arnaud, who suffered a left foot fracture four weeks ago, is due to be examined Friday by team doctors and hopes to shed a walking boot.

vCash
    Mike Puma ‏@NYPost_Mets 8m
    Person who saw Wheeler on Saturday said he was still throwing 97 in the 8th inning, so there was no indication of problem during his start.

vCash
    Non-issue.

They're just trying to make up an issue to keep him down another month. Possibly trying to limit his innings a bit too so he doesn't have to be shut down like Harvey last year.

vCash
    Las Vegas(18-19) lost 8-5.

Flores 1-2, R, 2b, RBI
    Lutz 3-4, R, RBI, BB, K
    Campbell 2-5, R, 3b, RBI, 2 K

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb

vCash
    St. Lucie(23-13) won 4-0.

Rivera 2-4, 2 R
    Reynolds 1-4, R, 2b, K
    Lawley 1-4, 2b, 2 RBI, K
    Rodriguez 0-4, 2 K
    Gomez 1-3, K

Bowman 7 IP, H, 0 R, BB, 9 K

vCash
    I am a little excited about Bowman, but yes AA is always the true test for guys like him, though he has solid velocity and a deep arsenal, so I think he will do fine there.

vCash
    Yeah I like him, and I think the fact the Mets put him as their opening day starter in Savannah speaks volumes.

vCash
    Flores has disappointed me this year I expected him to build off his good year last year he hasnt done much, but hes still young so he'll have next year in AAA to do something

vCash
    Binghamton(21-18) won 7-3.

Muno 1-3, R, 2b, 2 RBI, BB, K
    Puello 0-3, R, BB
    Vaughn 2-4, 2 R, RBI, K
    Forsythe 1-3, 2b, BB, K
    Tovar 2-3, R, RBI

Verrett 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 5 K, HR
    Leathersich 2 IP, H, 0 R, 4 K

vCash
    Savannah(21-15) lost 3-2.