Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Kyle Gibson

vCash

Kyle Gibson

Aside from Catman's excellent minor league roundup, the forum has kind of lost some steam. I thought I'd add a couple relevant threads.

For those that don't know, Kyle Gibson pitched a complete game shutout in his last outing at Rochester. It was much needed as the Twins had something like a 100 inning game where they used 40 pitchers the night before. After Gibson's last effort, I think it's safe to speculate when he should be called up and who he should replace.

I would think Pedro Hernandez would be the likely target. He got rocked last time out and after Gibson's performance it seemed possible Gibson may be the starting pitcher with the Twins today. That did not happen however. What will it take? One more poor outing from Hernandez? One more poor outing from Pelfrey? Should we assume Correia, Worley and Diamond are safe?

vCash
    I'd like to hope the Twins are taking things slowly with Gibson just to protect his arm, but I'm afraid this is financially motivated. They don't want to start his "clock" until about June 1 to keep him under team control for another season. He certainly has shown that he has the stuff to win at the minor league level. He just needs an opportunity to do it at the big-league level.
    And, thanks for the props. I enjoy doing the minor league stuff, although I'll be away from home for the next week.

vCash
    Actually, I think they only have to keep him in the minors for 20 days for them to retain that extra year of team control. I think they need to wait until June to avoid the Super 2 status. He would get an extra year of arbitration, but so far the Twins don't seem bothered by that fact considering Hicks and Arcia are already up. So I think Arcia and Gibson are locked up for another 6 years still, while Hicks has 5 at this point. It's all probably a moot point now though considering teams are giving their promising youngsters extensions after only a year or two.

vCash
    Another really good outing today. If he does well the next time or 2 out, I'm thinking he'll be in the bigs after that. The Twins really need some starters that can pitch. Right now, Worley is getting things going in the right direction and Correia isn't doing too badly, but Diamond, Pelfrey and Hernandez aren't doing very well.

vCash
    Correia has only lasted 6 innings once in his last four starts and given up 5 HR in those games compared to only 2 in his first 5 starts. Also in his last four starts he's given up 32 hits in 21 1/3 innings. I think Correia is coming back to what was predicted in the preseason.

Gibson should come up once the Super 2 deadline passes, although that is not a concrete date. Who he replaces could be up in the air. Pelfrey surely is a prime target, though Walters, Albers, Hendriks or DeVries could may have already taken his job. Worely and Diamond are probably the safest arms in the rotation since there is hope they will factor into the long range plans, but I believe both still have options. There's a good chance that the starting 5 in August are completely different than the starting 5 to open the season.

vCash
    I don't disagree with your assessment of the pitching in August/September. I'd like to see Worley get his stuff straightened out and Gibson get more consistancy, but both should be in the rotation soon. Pelfrey may not have been ready, physically, to take the reigns this season, ala Scott Baker. It looks like the rotation will be, in no certain order, Worley, Diamond, Deduno, Walters, and Gibson. Correia and Pelfrey may be traded, if an offer looks good enough or Pelfrey may be given his release.

vCash
    According to ESPN, Gibson is slated to make his big-league debut on Saturday against James Shields and the Royals. Looks like he gets a pretty tough test to start his big-league career.

vCash
    The call up seems overdue considering the team still has the leagues worst ERA. Still, happy he's finally up. Hopefully he gets a couple good starts to build some momentum for next year. He probably won't get a ton of starts considering he's already over the 80 inning mark and Terry Ryan earlier said they are looking to limit him to 130-140 innings this year. Hopefully Ryan can be talked off of that number, it's awful low even for a TJ victim.

vCash
    I don't disagree, but I'd like to err on the side of caution with him. If (and this is a mighty big if) the team is in contention going down the stretch and he's feeling strong, I would imagine that they would reconsider. Other than that scenario, I don't see them backing off 140 innings.

vCash
    Probably not. Everyone made a big stink about limiting Strausberg's innings last year and his magic number was 160. That's quite a drop off.

vCash
    Gibson's debut was pretty impressive yesterday. He pitched out of trouble in the 3rd and finished a few more innings afterward. Overall, I was satisfied with his outing and I'm sure he was as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Gibson's debut was pretty impressive yesterday. He pitched out of trouble in the 3rd and finished a few more innings afterward. Overall, I was satisfied with his outing and I'm sure he was as well.
    He looks like a mix between Nolan Ryan and Justin Verlander