Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Offseason Thread

Reasoner, Aucoin, Boulton, Martinek will be gone.

Try to re-sign Boyes, but not to be a top line player. We need to bring in a top line player, no matter what.

Try to re-sign Streit, Try to re-sign Nabby AS A BACKUP, but only if we can'ttrade for a real goalie.

Try to get a real goalie (Ryan Miller? Niklas Backstrom?)

Time to give ****ing Donovan a shot. Also think Nelson, Joensuu, Ullstrom, will have shots to make it.

Ninoa nd Strome better ****ing be here.

Andy McDonald, Daniel Alfredsson, Jaromir Jagr, Jarome IGinla, Ryan Clowe, Valterri Filppula. Look so sign some of these guys.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
    Niederreiter-Strome-Boyes
    Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
    Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
    Joensuu, Nelson

Hamonic-Visnovsky
    MacDonald-Donovan
    Streit-Strait
    Hickey, Carkner

IDK just improve the team Garth and Wang. If we just send the same team out there this year. We're not getting higher than a 7 or 8 seed again> need to make 1-2 top tier acquisitions, get rid of the dead weight, and give our top prospects a legit shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Alright, here's what I'd do / my checklist.

-Do not resign Boyes unless we plan to move him to the 2nd or 3rd line, we can get a much better upgrade at the first line. I'd be happy with any of these replacements:
    Nathan Horton, David Clarkson, Mikkel Boedker. Boedker is really a dark horse very fast skater and can put the puck in the net.

-Resign Streit. If he wants to much money, target Bogosian, Leddy, Whitney, Voynov, Pietranglo, Shattenkirk, Alzner. There are plenty of younger options if Streit doesn't want to resign here and it wouldn't bother me. I'd love to see Streit remain an Islander, but we will see what happens. Many options to go here.

-Resign Nabokov. If that doesn't happen go after Miller or Backstrom.

You gotta improve the team regardless, please spend some money Wang.

vCash
    ^Most of the dmen you listed were RFA's thus goign to be nearly impossible to get. Whitney is always injured, Streit is still the best option.

Boedker also an RFA, Horton would make some sense but not to be a top liner imo. Stay away froM Clarkson, too much of a wildcard. We need a playmaker on the top line

vCash
    Here is what we need to do:
    1.) Sign/trade for a goalie!
    2.) Sign/trade for a goalie!
    3.) Sign/trade for a goalie!
    4.) Top tier Dman(if possible)
    5.) Bring up Strome, Nelson

Think Nino will be on the block. If not add him to the mix. I disagree about this team not being higher than an 8th seed with no changes. This team is a year more seasoned. Some players seemed to have turned the corner (Bailey, KO). Add in Cizikas, Nielson, Martin, a full season with Joensuu, Grabs etc. Of course you have JT and MOulson. D is solid with Vis, AMac, Hamonic, Carkner, and if Hickey continues to grow. Plus tons of young talent in Bridgeport headed by Reinhart, Donovan, Ness, DeHaan etc. This team is in position to challenge next year IF they fill one of my top 3, this team will be tough to beat.

Now they have tasted the playoffs and we saw this team grow before our eyes as they learned to win. They NEED a top flight goalie. If they had one this year they would be playing in the second round this year.

This team is NOT far from being a top team in the NHL.

Best part is JT, our best player, is only 22 years old. Have not even seen him at his best!! Crazy to think about!

vCash
    If we throw the same exact team out there next year we have NO CHANCE of improving. 1, we faced almost 0 injury trouble this year, that is an ideal that is almost certain not to repeat itself, and 2, Nabby is almost certainly not going to play like he did in April for any stretch next year because of his age. Another year, andother slight dropoff. Guys liek Nielsn, Boyes, Moulson, MacDonald, aent getting better naymore, Streit and Vis are old and going to decline a little.

We will likely miss the playoffs, if that is the case.

With that, I see us trying to address the goalie situation, signing or trading for a top 6 winger, and bringing in a top 4 defenseman, which will help us. If we do those things, in addition to bringing up our top guys liek Strome and Donovan, I think we can be a 5 or 6 seed next year.

vCash
    Really wouldn't mind Bernier if we can get him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    If we throw the same exact team out there next year we have NO CHANCE of improving. 1, we faced almost 0 injury trouble this year, that is an ideal that is almost certain not to repeat itself, and 2, Nabby is almost certainly not going to play like he did in April for any stretch next year because of his age. Another year, andother slight dropoff. Guys liek Nielsn, Boyes, Moulson, MacDonald, aent getting better naymore, Streit and Vis are old and going to decline a little.

We will likely miss the playoffs, if that is the case.

With that, I see us trying to address the goalie situation, signing or trading for a top 6 winger, and bringing in a top 4 defenseman, which will help us. If we do those things, in addition to bringing up our top guys liek Strome and Donovan, I think we can be a 5 or 6 seed next year.
    I agree about the injury situation. Moulson, Grabs are both potential 30 goal guys. Nielson, KO, Bailey are 20 goal guys, JT is a 40 goal guy. Throw in Cizikas, Martin, Joensuu, Strome, Macdonald and whoever else and the offense is going to be strong with no changes really.

D will improve. Vis is solid. AMac and Hamonic both will improve with the experience. I think Streit is going to be gone so they need to replace him. Bring up Donovan or some other rookie. Throw in Carkner, Hickey, and Strait and d should be solid!

Goalie is the biggest need! IF we acquire one that will easily improve this team. Nabby was average most of this season and the Isles went 24-17. If we improve goaltending they will easily move up the standings. I disagree this team takes a step back with minimal changes. KO was not very good for half this season and Bailey came on late. IF they can be consistent through out the season that in itself will make the Isles better. Everything rests on getting a stable goalie! You get that and this team will be in top 5-6 of eastern conference. They finished 2 pts behind the 5th seed this season and they had Nabby all year and questionable D play. Experience will pay huge dividends for this team.

THat being said, I hope they spend some this off season. It can only help to put a good winger with JT. WOuld love to see lines look like:
    1.) JT/Moulson/?
    2.)Strome/KO/Bailey
    3.) NIelson/Boyes/Grabner
    4.)Cizikas/MM/Macdonald

or something to that effect. Hell this team might not have space for Boyes because of Nelson and JJ. I think Streit is gone. We will see. Either way I love that this rebuild approach is really starting to pay dividends! The future is bright for this team as was shown in their series with the Pens!

I love this team!!!

vCash
    Gotta get something going on in here before we all drop dead. Nino Niederreiter. Absolutely shined during the IIHF. Do you think we will trade him? I remember that fuss we had with him or his agent (can't remember) but he wasn't happy that he didn't make the team in this shortened season.

vCash

vCash
    Id give it less than 1% chance of happening, bt im praying Elias Lindholm falls to 15. Kid will be a stud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Id give it less than 1% chance of happening, bt im praying Elias Lindholm falls to 15. Kid will be a stud.
    If Mike Bossy fell to us in 1977 (15th pick) (way before our time) anything can happen! I'd be very much happy with that pick, but I'll cheer for whoever we draft even if it is the 5'8 goalie...

vCash
    http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

KMO who do you want out of these 2? I'd go McAdam (I wouldn't want either of them 15th pick, just trying to generate a discussion cause we are all dead in here.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URn5rztZyJQ

I don't think goalie is the way to go with pick number 15. Nabby hasn't been resigned yet, and like you said Backstrom will be out there along with Thomas, Khabibulin, Mike Smith, Mason, Theodore, Garon, Emery, Ellis, Montoya (lol).

I don't like the free agent class for goaltenders this year. They are mostly old, but I do have a few dark horse candidates who could do the job for us. Ray Emery. Very impressive season for a backup, but that whole Hawk team is stacked. I'd love Mike Smith, but him and Backstrom easily are going to be resigned/ or highly coveted by other teams that need goaltenders. I'd rather use our 1st round pick this year towards a position that we need - such as a winger or another defender. We still have Poulin, Nilsson, and Koskinen who had a strong year in the SM-Ligga.

Ideal situation for me - Resign Nabokov but make him take a backup role and let the 3 kids I mentioned battle it out in camp and see who stays and who goes.
    Last edited by KingsnQueens7; 05-28-2013 at 12:38 AM.

vCash
    http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...roberto-luongo

34 years old, and we'd have to dump at least 1 good prospect for him. Not worth it.

vCash
    It'd be a total deal for NYI. The ownership isn't spending much and they're factoring in the stupid money they have to pay DiPietro. So, factor 1 is a low spending team with a massive drain of a contract.

DiPietro is not an NHL player. He cannot help the NYI in any way whatsoever.

Getting Lu rids NYI of that awful DiPietro contract and NYI gets a goalie who is still very good.

Why on Earth would Van do this? If the assets/picks were right. The thrifty NYI are in a rough way with that huge contract. Vancouver would have to get some solid assets to take on that burden of a contract. At least Luongo is still very good. He was actually better than Schneider in our short round 1 series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtin' M's Fan View Post
    It'd be a total deal for NYI. The ownership isn't spending much and they're factoring in the stupid money they have to pay DiPietro. So, factor 1 is a low spending team with a massive drain of a contract.

DiPietro is not an NHL player. He cannot help the NYI in any way whatsoever.

Getting Lu rids NYI of that awful DiPietro contract and NYI gets a goalie who is still very good.

Why on Earth would Van do this? If the assets/picks were right. The thrifty NYI are in a rough way with that huge contract. Vancouver would have to get some solid assets to take on that burden of a contract. At least Luongo is still very good. He was actually better than Schneider in our short round 1 series.
    Luongo is good, but he's getting up there in age at 34. After 2 or 3 seasons he will be at the same stage Nabokov is now, old and not suited for the starting role. The only way it makes sense to me if we were forced to deal Nino to the Nucks for Luongo, DP would have to be involved but it would still suit the Nucks better long term as Nino is only 20 and has played very good in Bridgeport and in the IIHF. If Nino still isn't over the training camp incident and if it came down to having to deal him I'd much rather trade him for the Kings backup goalie Bernier straight up.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast