Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Compensatory picks: What will the Raiders be awarded in the 2014 draft?

Hey guys, I know their is a system in place rewarding additional picks based on a team's free agents signing elsewhere. Does anybody have an idea how it works and what the Raiders will be awarded in 2014? We've lost Desmond Bryant (Browns), Mike Goodson (Jets), Mike Mitchell (Panthers), Brandon Meyers (Giants), Matt Shaugnessy (Cardinals),and Phillip Wheeler (Dolphins). As far as I know Richard Seymour, Omar Gaither, Matt Giordano, Matt Leinart, and Shawntae Spencer are still UFA and have the potential to sign elsewhere. It seems like for those players we will be rewarded fairly well. Bryan, Meyers, Shaugnessy and Wheeler all have starting potential. I know compensation calculations are handed out based on the amount of snaps a player is involved in as well as the player accumulated for replacement. I know it's a ways out, but the forum has been slow (Thanks for the rookie updates!!!) and I'm thinking forward to the 2014 season...
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr&blck760 View Post
    Hey guys, I know their is a system in place rewarding additional picks based on a team's free agents signing elsewhere. Does anybody have an idea how it works and what the Raiders will be awarded in 2014? We've lost Desmond Bryant (Browns), Mike Goodson (Jets), Mike Mitchell (Panthers), Brandon Meyers (Giants), Matt Shaugnessy (Cardinals),and Phillip Wheeler (Dolphins). As far as I know Richard Seymour, Omar Gaither, Matt Giordano, Matt Leinart, and Shawntae Spencer are still UFA and have the potential to sign elsewhere. It seems like for those players we will be rewarded fairly well. Bryan, Meyers, Shaugnessy and Wheeler all have starting potential. I know compensation calculations are handed out based on the amount of snaps a player is involved in as well as the player accumulated for replacement. I know it's a ways out, but the forum has been slow (Thanks for the rookie updates!!!) and I'm thinking forward to the 2014 season...
    We will not know until the season ends as it is based on the performance of the Free Agents you lost vs Free Agents signed...

vCash
    ^Gotcha...Speculation?
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

vCash
    ^Gotcha...Speculation?
    It would be nice to get 2 3rd round picks...

vCash
    ^Gotcha...Speculation?
    3rd for Wheeler, 4th for Bryant, 6th for Myers

vCash
    I think Meyers will get us a 4th round or better same goes for Wheeler. Seymour will sign with someone around June or July but I don't know how much he will play.
    “You don’t adjust. You just dominate.”
    -Al Davis
    Reggie Please draft Aaron Donald.

vCash
    When I first saw this thread, I thought the Raiders weren't going to get anything.

Bryant / Wheeler / Myers / Seymour / Kelly - they'll all be worth compensatory picks, IMO.

vCash
    Next year Reggie truly gets to play with a full deck. Cash and a full draft (the compensatory picks will make up for the 2013 trades).

vCash

Raiders 2014 Compensatory Picks

I don't want to burst bubbles, but I might be about to. I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think compensatory picks don't work the way people have talked about them above.

First, consider that there are only 32 compensatory picks. For folks who think the Raiders will get five or six, consider that, if that were the case for every team, there would be more than 150 compensatory picks. Not happening.

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that compensatory picks are based on a combination of players lost and players gained in free agency. The Raiders lost Mike Goodson, for example, but they got Rashad Jennings. Jennings has been far more valuable than Goodson this season.

Raiders fans also need to remember how many free agents the Raiders signed this year. It's staggering! Almost the entire defense! It's easy to argue that the Raiders got a lot more than they lost.

I've read several articles that suggest the first metric in the compensatory calculation is volume of players lost vs. players gained. It's hard to imagine that the Raiders lost more free agents than they signed. Don't think so?

That brings us to the next important point: Releasing a player does not count toward compensatory consideration. That means Seymour, Kelly, DHB, Palmer, Lechler, and McClain don't count.

That leaves a handful of players who could help the Raiders qualify for a pick.

Desmond Bryant got a good contract (contracts are part of the compensatory pick calculation), but probably won't make the pro bowl (which is also part of the calculation), and didn't play the full season (also a part of it). Is he more valuable than Pat Sims AND Vance Walker, who the Raiders acquired this year?

So far I've focused on gains and losses at one position. How about the loss of Matt Shaughnessy? His contract is comparable to that of Charles Woodson's (one year, for decent money) and I don't know that the NFL will consider Shaughnessy's performance as significantly better than Woodson's.

How about if we add Mike Jenkins and Tracy Porter in the Raiders' "gains" column? Is Shaughnessy more valuable than Woodson, Jenkins, and Porter? Again, remembering that volume of gains vs. losses is the first metric?

What about Mike Mitchell, Brandon Myers, and Phillip Wheeler? Only one of them got a decent contract, but all three have had decent seasons and played in most of their teams' games. None of them are likely to earn postseason acknowledgements (like Pro Bowl nods). How much more valuable are they than Nick Roach, Kevin Burnett, Usama Young, Kaluka Maiava, and the laundry-list of free agent defensive and offensive lineman the Raiders acquired in 2013?

Again, it's a combination of gains and losses. We can argue all day about how certain players the Raiders lost are marginally more valuable than the players they signed, but remember that Nnamdi Asomugha, who at the time he signed with the Eagles was considered one of the best players in the league(and signed a contract to suit), got the Raiders the first overall compensatory pick, which is the 33rd pick of the 3rd round (97th overall).

None of the players the Raiders lost in free agency this year compare (zero Pro Bowls among them), and they gained quite a bit, especially in terms of volume. Raiders fans, of which I count myself a proud part, might want to temper expectations.

One compensatory pick, probably in the 7th round, would be reasonable. Anything else is a boon.

If you're interested in the formula, I'll include a link below. Please bear in mind that nobody outside the NFL office knows the exact formula, but the article will give you some idea(it is written from the Steelers' standpoint, last off-season. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "As I understand the Compensatory Pick formula...").

Hope this helps. Go Raiders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LechlerFan View Post
    I don't want to burst bubbles, but I might be about to. I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think compensatory picks don't work the way people have talked about them above.

First, consider that there are only 32 compensatory picks. For folks who think the Raiders will get five or six, consider that, if that were the case for every team, there would be more than 150 compensatory picks. Not happening.

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that compensatory picks are based on a combination of players lost and players gained in free agency. The Raiders lost Mike Goodson, for example, but they got Rashad Jennings. Jennings has been far more valuable than Goodson this season.

Raiders fans also need to remember how many free agents the Raiders signed this year. It's staggering! Almost the entire defense! It's easy to argue that the Raiders got a lot more than they lost.

I've read several articles that suggest the first metric in the compensatory calculation is volume of players lost vs. players gained. It's hard to imagine that the Raiders lost more free agents than they signed. Don't think so?

That brings us to the next important point: Releasing a player does not count toward compensatory consideration. That means Seymour, Kelly, DHB, Palmer, Lechler, and McClain don't count.

Desmond Bryant got a good contract (contracts are part of the compensatory pick calculation), but probably won't make the pro bowl (which is also part of the calculation), and didn't play the full season (also a part of it). Is he more valuable than Pat Sims AND Vance Walker, who the Raiders acquired this year?

So far I've focused on gains and losses at one position. How about the loss of Matt Shaughnessy? His contract is comparable to that of Charles Woodson's (one year, for decent money) and I don't know that the NFL will consider Shaughnessy's performance as significantly better than Woodson's.

How about if we add Mike Jenkins and Tracy Porter in the Raiders' "gains" column? Is Shaughnessy more valuable than Woodson, Jenkins, and Porter? Again, remembering that volume of gains vs. losses is the first metric?

What about Mike Mitchell, Brandon Myers, and Phillip Wheeler? Only one of them got a decent contract, but all three have had decent seasons and played in most of their teams' games. None of them are likely to earn postseason acknowledgements (like Pro Bowl nods). How much more valuable are they than Nick Roach, Kevin Burnett, Usama Young, Kaluka Maiava, and the laundry-list of free agent defensive and offensive lineman the Raiders acquired in 2013?

Again, it's a combination of gains and losses. We can argue all day about how certain players the Raiders lost are marginally more valuable than the players they signed, but remember that Nnamdi Asomugha, who at the time he signed with the Eagles was considered one of the best players in the league(and signed a contract to suit), got the Raiders the first overall compensatory pick, which is the 33rd pick of the 3rd round (97th overall).

None of the players the Raiders lost in free agency this year compare (zero Pro Bowls among them), and they gained quite a bit, especially in terms of volume. Raiders fans, of which I count myself a proud part, might want to temper expectations.

One compensatory pick, probably in the 7th round, would be reasonable. Anything else is a boon.

If you're interested in the formula, I'll include a link below. Please bear in mind that nobody outside the NFL office knows the exact formula, but the article will give you some idea(it is written from the Steelers' standpoint, last off-season. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "As I understand the Compensatory Pick formula...").

Well said LechlerFan. I was trying to make this same point in one of the other threads. I also think the Raiders will get no more then 1 compensatory pick and it will probably be a late one at that. Probably in the round 6 to round 7 range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krsonekth View Post
    Well said LechlerFan. I was trying to make this same point in one of the other threads. I also think the Raiders will get no more then 1 compensatory pick and it will probably be a late one at that. Probably in the round 6 to round 7 range.
    hes right. oh well. Lets hope reggie nails this draft and hayden get better.
    The Autumn Wind is a Raider

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LechlerFan View Post

Great post. First one at that.

Oakland Raiders / Jason Kidd-Mavericks Fan Till Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nets/Raiders! View Post
    Great post. First one at that.
    never thought i would hear that haha
    The Autumn Wind is a Raider

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    When I first saw this thread, I thought the Raiders weren't going to get anything.

Bryant / Wheeler / Myers / Seymour / Kelly - they'll all be worth compensatory picks, IMO.
    Seymour and Kelly were cut. They dont count towards comp picks
    Raiders Keith McGill

PSD Mock Draft Raiders GM
    1st Anothony Barr OLB UCLA
    2nd Dominique Easley DT University of Florida
    3rd Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    4th Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
    4th Jordan Zumwalt ILB/OLB UCLA
    5th Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
    5th Richard Rodgers, TE, California
    5th Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
    6th Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska
    7th Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
    7th Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State

vCash
    Mike Mitchell has been having a good year. We might get a good return out of him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast