Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Juan Lagares should be the everyday CF

Seriously. He hasn't hit much yet, but his defense has been outstanding. That catch he made yesterday saved the game for us. He has a staggering 5 defensive runs saved already, and we've already seen his range and arm. It was said that some Mets officials believed that Lagares is a better defensive CF than Matt den Dekker, and I am very impressed.

He will hit eventually. He's always been able to hit for a solid average throughout his minor league career. My concern with him was always that he didn't hit enough to play a corner OF spot, because I was led on to believe that his defense was subpar in CF. Obviously that is not the case.

Jordany is not a real outfielder. Lagares is. I want to see him play everyday in CF vs. RHP and LHP.

vCash
    I currently disagree. I don't doubt his ability to play CF, but this lineup cannot just give up a spot for someone who can't hit. Mets are averaging what? 2.3 runs recently? We need someone who will drive in and create more runs.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    I currently disagree. I don't doubt his ability to play CF, but this lineup cannot just give up a spot for someone who can't hit. Mets are averaging what? 2.3 runs recently? We need someone who will drive in and create more runs.
    Do you have someone on the roster in mind?

Lagares has been pretty solid with each step up the ladder. I think he can hit sufficiently -- eventually -- to at least be a legit candidate for next season in CF. TC stated recently he was going to give Lagares a legit look in CF, so we will see.

If Lagrares works out and the Mets can sign Choo this winter and put him in right, that would be significant.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

Lagares has been pretty solid with each step up the ladder. I think he can hit sufficiently -- eventually -- to at least be a legit candidate for next season in CF. TC stated recently he was going to give Lagares a legit look in CF, so we will see.

If Lagrares works out and the Mets can sign Choo this winter and put him in right, that would be significant.
    Therein lies the problem for Collins. He needs hitters in that anemic lineup. All we have now is Wright and Murphy was hitting but has been hitting the ball right at people lately. Buck is back where he normally is - a .230 hitter with pop. Everyone else can't hit a lick. Maybe Tejada to some extent. The bench players like Valdy and Baxter are good off the bench but don't seem to grasp their opportunities as everyday players by either not hitting or not fielding or both. So Collins is forced to mix and match and platoon. Lagares probably needs to play against lefty pitching (Valdy against righty pitching). Put Lagares in for defense late in those games that Valdy starts.

vCash
    Lets give him a couple of months and lets see what happens. If Ike can sleep for 3 months, then this kid deserves a shot. Let him play. Sit him against tough lefties (or is it righties) and pinch hit V-Spin and Baxter when there's rbi's on the table from 5 inning on. Let's see what we got. Next try Ceasar in Binghamton and DD when he's back to health. Obviously Cowgirl and the Captain look more like Four A players at this point (sadly).
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Who says Lagares can't hit? It's not like we have a monster waiting to play over him. Valdespin has gotten his chances in starts, and hasn't really done anything with it. I'm still fine with playing him vs. RHP, but not over Lagares in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

Agreed 100%, it's been a while since that's happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Therein lies the problem for Collins. He needs hitters in that anemic lineup. All we have now is Wright and Murphy was hitting but has been hitting the ball right at people lately. Buck is back where he normally is - a .230 hitter with pop. Everyone else can't hit a lick. Maybe Tejada to some extent. The bench players like Valdy and Baxter are good off the bench but don't seem to grasp their opportunities as everyday players by either not hitting or not fielding or both. So Collins is forced to mix and match and platoon. Lagares probably needs to play against lefty pitching (Valdy against righty pitching). Put Lagares in for defense late in those games that Valdy starts.
    It's too early to mark Lagares as a platoon player. He should be given a ful opportunity. He's a fundamentally sound player with some nice tools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Who says Lagares can't hit? It's not like we have a monster waiting to play over him. Valdespin has gotten his chances in starts, and hasn't really done anything with it. I'm still fine with playing him vs. RHP, but not over Lagares in CF.

Agreed 100%, it's been a while since that's happened.
    I do: Big long, slow swing. He doesn't resemble a hitter to me.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    His swing is a little long, but he's got good bat speed. He's just feeling for the baseball right now trying to make contact. With more confidence, opportunity, and better luck he should hit enough to play CF everyday. He didn't spend much time in AAA remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    His swing is a little long, but he's got good bat speed. He's just feeling for the baseball right now trying to make contact. With more confidence, opportunity, and better luck he should hit enough to play CF everyday. He didn't spend much time in AAA remember.
    He is a +.300 hitter at A+, AA and AAA ball so maybe he can translate that into a decent average in the ML. The problem is we need hitters so we score more than 2 or 1 or zero runs in a game and support some of the very good quality starts we've gotten so far this season. That is so frustrating. Poor Terry has hitters who can't field or fielders who can't hit or some who can do neither right now. Wright and Murphy being the only exceptions right now. And Buck is doing a good job (about what is expected).

vCash
    The dude is definently a hitter. Infact, a high contact free swinger. I'd have no problem with him playing every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by murphdog8 View Post
    The dude is definently a hitter. Infact, a high contact free swinger. I'd have no problem with him playing every day.
    I have no problem playing him every day either because the only value this season will have is to evaluate what talent we might uncover. He has shown little power but a good BA, but one are he needs work on is basestealing. His success rate in the minors (66%) is unacceptable.

vCash
    I think down the road he may well end up a platoon partner of someone like Den Dekker or Nieuwenhuis. But for now it's not a bad idea to get him some PA. Jordanny should get some starts as well, but I don't think he's a regular either.

vCash
    Two weeks ago no one cared about Lagares and every one loved Valdespin.. Now the guy makes one catch and goes 3 for 20 and hes our new CF'er.....
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I think down the road he may well end up a platoon partner of someone like Den Dekker or Nieuwenhuis. But for now it's not a bad idea to get him some PA. Jordanny should get some starts as well, but I don't think he's a regular either.
    I think that Legares should start in CF and V-Spin should start in RF. Also, I might consider giving Baxter a few days in RF while he seems to be hot. baxter is very streaky and as soon as he does an Ofer than put V-Spin back in. I am not enamored with Byrd and think he gets entirely too many starts.

Also time to give Ike 2 weeks in the minors and bring Josh up and let him play. he plays the game right, and has great presence in the box. Can't play him anywhere but 1B and he deserves a shot, but with that said we also have Andrew Brown up and I feel he should get some play time as well I don't know how he would do at 1B, but then that leaves Justin Turner who is also hitting the ball well right now. We are seeing the anemic bat when we got guys who can and have been performing better. I don't think it much matters until the pitching starts showing back up, especially with Buck feeling secure in his job and looking ugly at the plate again.

On a good note the BP has actually been moving up the charts from what was 27th to top ten. Edgin wasn't ready nor was Carson, nice to see Familla now pitching like we all knew he could.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast