Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    7,116
    vCash
    1500

    DBB: Pistons Trade Scenario: Deng to Detroit?

    By revken on May 6 2013, 10:52a

    Whenever anyone has asked Keith Langlois of Pistons.com about how the team might use its approximately $25 million in cap space this summer, he has consistently said we are just as likely to use that money to facilitate a trade. His premise is that there are teams without cap space that, because they are threatened by the luxury tax, might be willing to part with a valuable player to save money.

    Last week there was this exchange in the Pistons.com Mailbox:

    Darren (Warwick, Australia): With the Bulls figuring to pay the luxury tax again next season, combined with the emergence of Jimmy Butler, is there any chance the Pistons could land Luol Deng? I’m not an NBA general manager, but I think he’d be good in a Pistons jersey.

    Langlois: Deng would be good in any jersey, Darren. I think you’re barking up the right tree, but maybe at the wrong branch. This is precisely the type of deal the Pistons will be looking to make – looking at franchises that are facing a cap crunch and gauging which players might be made available. You’d have to believe the Bulls are intrigued by the cost-saving possibilities of sliding Butler into Deng’s small forward spot, not just to save tax dollars but to allocate money to other needs. No, Butler isn’t Deng, but can he be close enough in another year that the Bulls would be better off spending some of the savings on another player or two? The hurdle in completing the deal would be twofold, as I see it from a thousand-yard perspective: (1) Would the Bulls want to risk alienating Derrick Rose by trading away one of his two most reliable teammates (Joakim Noah the other) perhaps a year too soon; and (2) would they be willing to deal Deng to a division rival, especially one with the antagonistic history the Pistons share with them?
    In order to consider the possibility of Deng coming to Detroit, we need to answer three questions:

    1. Would Chicago be willing to trade Deng?

    2. Would Chicago be interested in the Pistons as a trade partner?

    3. Would Deng make the Pistons a better team?

    Let’s try to answer each of these questions in turn:

    Would Chicago be willing to trade Deng? Deng has been Chicago’s starter at SF since his rookie year in 2004-05. Over 9 years he’s averaged 16 points on 46% shooting, 6.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists. He’s also averaged almost 36 minutes per game for his career. This year he played 38.7 minutes a game; the previous 2 years he averaged over 39 minutes. He’s made the All-Star team once – in 2011-12. In 2008 he signed a 6 year/$71 million contract extension with the Bulls. Next season will be the final year of that deal, which will pay him $14.2 million.

    Chicago has salary commitments next year of $77 million to 9 players. Richard Hamilton’s $5 million is unguaranteed, but even without him they will be up against the luxury tax threshold with only 8 players under contract. That’s a tight spot to be in when you still need to fill out your bench. Of course, it’s possible that the Bulls won’t worry about the tax bill when it comes due – at least they’re not saddled with the even higher payrolls of the Lakers, Nets or Heat!

    But what the Bulls also must consider is whether they want to sign Deng to a new contract in 2014. He just turned 28 in April, so in all likelihood he’ll be looking for another lucrative deal. Keeping him beyond next season would probably make Chicago a repeat offender under the 2011 CBA, which means they’d soon have to pay even more in luxury taxes. Trading Deng could offer them the chance to save themselves money now and in the future, as well as deriving a return that they would otherwise lose when he becomes a free agent.

    Chicago also has a player in Jimmy Butler who has performed very capably and is still on his rookie deal (he’ll make $1.1 million next season). His WS/48 this year was .158; Deng’s was .105. While Butler may be a less prolific scorer than Deng, having Derrick Rose back in the line-up next fall (is that assuming too much?) should easily make up the difference. Jettisoning Deng’s salary would also make it easier for the Bulls to fill the remaining spots on their roster with some adequate reserves.

    Trading Deng is not Chicago’s only option for unloading salary. They could also use the amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer, who is due to make $15.3 million next season and $16.8 million in 2014-15. But then they’d lose his 16 points and 10 boards a game, and deplete their already thin frontline. While Taj Gibson could become their starting PF, their bench support would be very inadequate. Right now the only other bigs on their team are Joachim Noah and Nazr Mohammed. They’d have to amnesty Boozer, then hope they could sign some capable reserves.

    Therefore, I think Chicago has some very good reasons to consider shopping Deng.

    Would Chicago be interested in the Pistons as a trade partner? While I can see how intradivison and historic rivalry might give them pause, I doubt that this would be the deciding factor. The real question would be whether the Pistons could offer the Bulls a combination of value and cost savings that interests them. So what do we have to offer them?

    Looking at our roster, I see 2 players who might interest Chicago: Rodney Stuckey and Kyle Singler. Stuckey would offer the Bulls a combo guard with an expiring deal ($8.5 million next season), who could either start at SG or serve as a backup PG to Rose. Singler is cheap ($1 million) and would provide them with a SF backup for Butler. This deal would save the Bulls $4.7 million next season. Assuming they drop Hamilton, Chicago’s salary commitments would be $67.2 million for 9 players. This would make it easier for them to sign a few more players and, if the luxury tax threshold rises above $70.3 million, they might even avoid paying taxes.

    While there may be other teams who could use Deng and could present them with a better offer (Sacramento, for example, might offer them Marcus Thornton), I see the Pistons as an attractive trade partner for Chicago.

    Therefore, I think Chicago would be interested in trading Deng to Detroit.

    Would Deng make the Pistons a better team? Clearly SF was a weak spot for last year’s team – especially after we traded Tayshaun Prince. While there were excellent reasons to trade him and Austin Daye in return for Jose Calderon, I don’t think anyone believes Singler was a more capable starter in Prince’s place. While Kris Middleton showed some promise late in the season, it would take major improvements from him and Singler to keep SF from being a glaring Pistons weakness in 2013-14. Deng would provide us with an immediate upgrade – a solid veteran with playoff experience.

    If we made this trade, our salary commitments would be slightly under $40 million for 9 players. That would give us sufficient money to sign Calderon, our draft picks, and 1 or 2 other free agents to complete our roster.

    If our goal is to be in the playoffs next spring, then a starting line-up of Calderon, Deng, Drummond, Knight and Monroe should be capable of achieving that goal. Unless he improves significantly, Knight would certainly be the weak link. But assuming we can bolster our bench through the draft and some other free agent signings, I think 40+ wins would be very possible.

    Of course, in 2014 Deng’s contract would expire – as would Charlie Villanueva’s, giving us nearly $23 million to spend. I assume a major chunk of this savings would go to extend Greg Monroe’s deal. Whether we tried to keep Deng would probably depend on how much he could command on the market. But even if we let him walk, we’d still have money to spend on another free agent. Most importantly, our young team would have experienced its first taste of playoff basketball.

    Therefore, I think adding Luol Deng would definitely make the Pistons a better team.
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/5...eng-to-detroit

    #ERMAHGERD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    lukass' closet
    Posts
    4,169
    vCash
    1500
    Adding Deng would be nice but unlikely IMO.

    Trade Stuckey, Singler for him in a heartbeat.

    Draft Shabazz and boom. Huge needs filled.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    10,880
    vCash
    1500
    For Stuckey & Singler? I'd take that in a heartbeat as well...but, Deng wouldn't be the first player in mind when Trades/FA signings can take place



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,014
    vCash
    2500
    Knight, Shabazz, Deng, Monroe and Drummond is a completely different team that could compete on a daily basis. I would certainly be excited for a lineup like that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    942
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Adding Deng would be nice but unlikely IMO.

    Trade Stuckey, Singler for him in a heartbeat.

    Draft Shabazz and boom. Huge needs filled.
    Deng is 28, so he's on the right side of 30. His contract expires next summer, so we'd have a year to evaluate. However, that means he'd be 29 and looking for a long term deal that would expire on the wrong side of 30.

    Not too thrilled with his latest injury bouts. Nothing he can do, but this is a guy who postponed wrist surgery last summer to play in the olympics. That's his decision, but I think it's coming back to haunt him or us.

    His 3 pt% the last 3 years (with rose distributing and a low post threat in boozer/Noah) is 34%. Not thrilled about that either. Singelr shot 35%, granted his only year in the NBA.

    Deng is a better defensive player than Singler because of athleticism. But Deng is 6'9" 220 and Singler is 6'8" 230 (both per wikpedia).

    I'll take Singler and offer them just Stuckey. We don't need to make salaries match because of our cap space.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    lukass' closet
    Posts
    4,169
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Deng is 28, so he's on the right side of 30. His contract expires next summer, so we'd have a year to evaluate. However, that means he'd be 29 and looking for a long term deal that would expire on the wrong side of 30.

    Not too thrilled with his latest injury bouts. Nothing he can do, but this is a guy who postponed wrist surgery last summer to play in the olympics. That's his decision, but I think it's coming back to haunt him or us.

    His 3 pt% the last 3 years (with rose distributing and a low post threat in boozer/Noah) is 34%. Not thrilled about that either. Singelr shot 35%, granted his only year in the NBA.

    Deng is a better defensive player than Singler because of athleticism. But Deng is 6'9" 220 and Singler is 6'8" 230 (both per wikpedia).

    I'll take Singler and offer them just Stuckey. We don't need to make salaries match because of our cap space.
    Deng is a better defender because he is just better than Singler.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    942
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Deng is a better defender because he is just better than Singler.
    I agree. But is he 12M better? (13M vs 1M)

    Next year he's looking for a pay day of probably minimum 4 years 36-40M. Do we want to make that investment? And I think Singler has better basketball IQ. Deng has it, but Singler has more.

    I don't think the Bulls trade him, but actually amnesty Boozer since his contract has two more years at 15M per.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,609
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    I agree. But is he 12M better? (13M vs 1M)

    Next year he's looking for a pay day of probably minimum 4 years 36-40M. Do we want to make that investment? And I think Singler has better basketball IQ. Deng has it, but Singler has more.

    I don't think the Bulls trade him, but actually amnesty Boozer since his contract has two more years at 15M per.
    Like in the article, trading for Deng for a year replacement doesn't mean he would sign long term here. And with CV's contract done, if we don't resign Deng, and if we traded Stuckey we would have more money to get another FA or two along with resigning Moose.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    3000
    For Stuckey & Singler? Hell yeah. Hopefully it would come with an extension but even if it doesn't, it's not like we gave up any part of our future.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    942
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Algmuskrats View Post
    Like in the article, trading for Deng for a year replacement doesn't mean he would sign long term here. And with CV's contract done, if we don't resign Deng, and if we traded Stuckey we would have more money to get another FA or two along with resigning Moose.
    Stuck's contract is up next year any ways. It's gone next summer regardless if we trade for Deng.

    Same for CV's as you say. Why take a guy and his money this season, with the somewhat intent of not resigning him? He sucks, we're stuck. He explodes, and given his age, we pass on resigning. Not sure how that makes us better short term or long term given Stuck's contract is gone next summer and Singler is cheap at 1M.

    Put it another way: Would we take our FA money this summer and sign Deng to a 12M deal? Because that's in essence what we'd be doing. And then signing him for only one year.

    Also, I know it's his decision. But he by passed having surgery on his wrist last summer so he could play in the Olympics. He's trying to play in this series, meaning if he has surgery it won't be almost to June. If not, he's limping around for another year and then surgery next summer. If I'm paying a guy 12M (and at the time last summer it was assumed Rose would be back this year) and the Bulls had a legit chance to compete for chip this season, I want the guy to have the goddamn surgery. Sure, it worked out because Rose hasn't comeback. But that wasn't the view last summer.
    Last edited by markbutter; 05-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,456
    vCash
    1500
    We might have to give up our pick to get him as well, not worth it at his age.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,105
    vCash
    1500
    Deng's a player that would be good to get but I can think of a few others that I'd rather see on this team.
    Favourite Teams:

    Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •