Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Should Chris Cooley Have His Number Retired?

With the drafting of rookie Jordan Reed, the days of Chris Cooley in Washington, barring an injury at tight end, are undoubtedly over. This naturally has sparked a new debate over the former tight end with his place in Redskins history. Should his number be retired or placed on the “unavailable numbers list?”

As we know, in Washington the policy has been to never officially retire a number, ever since Sammy Baugh’s number 33 went off the market many years ago. With how Sammy Baugh played for the organization, not to mention how he revolutionized the game with his passing, it’s understandable why his is the only retired number.

Does Chris Cooley belong with Sammy Baugh? What about some of the players already instilled on the unavailable list?

Washington has been a town that for quite some time that has given too much credit to less deserving players. Marko Mitchell, Colt Brennan, Marcus Mason, Chris Horton, Brandon Banks, and many others are prime examples of that.

This is in contrast to the 80′s and 90′s when players were labeled fan favorites due to their skill and production on the field. The Redskins of the 2000′s were given the fan favorite label due to the way they made up for their lack of production on the field.

Read the rest by clicking here
    What do you think guys? Yes? No? Not sure?
    Last edited by InsaneBoost; 06-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash

Smile

As much as I love Cooley......I don't think his career warrants a retired number.

What would Jerry Smith, Clint Didier , and Rick "Doc" Walker say
    Last edited by coconut; 05-08-2013 at 06:29 PM.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    I've always been of the opinion that if anyone were to have their number retired it should be Sean Taylor. Not based on his numbers and his career but out of respect for what happened.

vCash
    No, Hes was a nice player for 5 or so years but only HOF caliber players should have their name retired

vCash
    As a fan I want to say yes, but I can't.

My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

vCash
    Not a chance... I love Cooley he will always be a Redskin but he wasn't great, just a very good football player. If we retired every guy who was a good football player we would run out of numbers. But I love the question, better off-season topic than that name change BS.

vCash
    Just met him last weekend, great guy. But no, I don't think so. I do think the 21 does however

vCash
    Unfortunately no. But Sean Taylor I agree with.

vCash
    Personally, I'd say no to retiring the jerseys of both Chris Cooley and Sean Taylor. Put them in the Ring of Honor, but we just don't retire any numbers. IF I had to pick someone to retire their number, I'd say Darrell Green.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinsDrumMajor View Post
    Personally, I'd say no to retiring the jerseys of both Chris Cooley and Sean Taylor. Put them in the Ring of Honor, but we just don't retire any numbers. IF I had to pick someone to retire their number, I'd say Darrell Green.
    Agreed

vCash
    I dont think it should be yes he was a good player but he wasnt great. Sean Taylors number though is a tough one because he was doing great and was in his prime before he was killed so his Im not sure about.

vCash
    I wouldn't say Taylor was in his prime, but rather approaching it.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    N0 WAY! I like cooley but com'on man! Sammy Baugh is the only REDSKIN to have his jersey retired. Cooley is not next in line.

vCash
    Cooley was a great player and a true Redskin. I think he has a long career ahead of him after football doing local tv spots, maybe radio or something related to the Skins but to retire his number seems like a but too much. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Skins have only truely retired one number (33) correct? There are a number of players in the ring of honor at the stadiu, and there are numbers players just don't wear out of respect for the history (21, 81, 28, etc.) but if the numbers of players like Theisman, Sonny, D. Williams, S. Taylor, Mann, Green, etc. aren't "retired" you can't retire Cooley's. Also, I think I read that someone in camp is already wearing #47 this year...

vCash
    Just some respect

http://youtu.be/GdSbgyUAE34