Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

George Karl named Coach of Year!!

DENVER -- George Karl led the Denver Nuggets to their best season in team history, earning him coach of the year honors on Wednesday.

He received 62 first-place votes, followed by Erik Spoelstra of the Miami Heat with 24 votes, from a panel of sports writers and broadcasters. New York's Mike Woodson finished third and San Antonio's Gregg Popovich, who won the award last season, was fourth.

The Nuggets went 57-25 -- the league's fourth-best record -- and captured the No. 3 seed. But the Nuggets were eliminated in the first round by the Golden State Warriors 92-88 in Game 6 last Thursday night.

"I am honored and energized to represent coaching and be their ambassador as coach of the year and continue to symbolize the great coaching there is in the NBA," Karl said in a statement. "There are probably seven or eight guys who are deserving of it and another 10 or 15 other coaches who have done a great job and aren't getting any recognition."
    Congrats George I think every Nuggets fan agrees with this award!!!

vCash
    As a regular season award, sure. But as a postseason award? Mark Jackson (second year coach, by the way, folks) absolutely schooled him. 57 is legitimately a big deal, so kudos for that. But I'm having a hard time celebrating this. It's a pretty hollow victory when we're watching GSW play SAS, and Denver has gone fishing... I'd like to see a stat (perhaps I'll look it up) on how many coaches have won 57 or more games and lost in the first round. Very few, I'd imagine. And none among them are the greats, I'd assume.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    The only reason I give any coach that wins this credit is because it is hard to keep your team focused for 82 games and he did that well.. Sorry I disagree Den and my reasoning is really why I could care less if Karl leaves or stays, the NBA is the least coached influenced game out there.. Everyone looking at Karl as the escape goat here will be very surprised when we play the same or worse for another coach.. Fact is we had no one step it up in the playoffs, Ty played well but when at times we needed him most he was gone. Everyone *****ing about rotations and all this crap, who the hell was he supposed to rotate for.. Everyone in this forum who clearly knows more than everyone in the Nuggets front office was saying more time for Evan and he was horrible in the playoffs, guess no one is perfect.. Fact is this team is soft and no one except for a little bit in Ty can step up and take over a game. Half the team can't make a free throw and the whole team was horrible getting rebounds in the playoffs.. Personally I am more concerned about the Nuggs signing the person who is not under contract that can make more impact than any coach and that is Masai.. Either way until someone on this team steps up and becomes a star not a super star even just a star this team won't go anywhere in the playoffs no matter who the coach is!!

vCash
    You are just flat out wrong about coaching not being integral to basketball, there is no way around it, I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt with differing opinions but I just see no room for debate on this subject.

Did you not watch that series? if it wasnt blatantly obvious the importance of coaching you just werent playing attention

No other examples should be needed but i'll list a few......

Spurs are less talented than the nuggets, or at the very least they are very comparable, but not even close in success

Bulls without their star, without any decent player not playing hampered by injury or disease, not only handled the Nets on the road but are giving Miami fits

Lakers since phil? with D'antoni?

Knicks, Golden State.......... so many obvious examples

And your other points, do you not see that there could be other reasons nobody stepped up? was it not blatantly obvious that the at least part of the reason Ty would disappear at times was because Karl made Miller the guy and turned Ty into a spot up shooter who wasnt allowed to push the pace?????? Do you not think there was any chance that if Karl gave a single **** about developing McGee or Fournier during the regular season they could have done better in the playoffs?

vCash
    Not that he was before but there's now no doubt that he does not get fired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    As a regular season award, sure. But as a postseason award? Mark Jackson (second year coach, by the way, folks) absolutely schooled him. 57 is legitimately a big deal, so kudos for that. But I'm having a hard time celebrating this. It's a pretty hollow victory when we're watching GSW play SAS, and Denver has gone fishing... I'd like to see a stat (perhaps I'll look it up) on how many coaches have won 57 or more games and lost in the first round. Very few, I'd imagine. And none among them are the greats, I'd assume.
    Is Popovic a great?

vCash

vCash
    Well, I think GK was the best coach in the NBA during the regular season. Nuggets had the worst schedule at the start of the season and the west is by far more balanced and tougher than the east.

Yes, GK makes my head hurt in the post season but with the way he got this team to play during the season, through injuries, youth and schedule he deserves the award. Good for him.

And I know other teams have had injuries but Gallo, in the west, was a huge blow to the nuggets.

We are in the third qtr of game 2 between GSW and SAS, and GSW are 18 points up. They should have won game 1. They should be 1-1 by the end of the night and could clear have been 2-0 up. Maybe people have underestimated GSW and Nuggets, with the injury to Gallo, ran into a hot team. Doesnt make the first round exit any easier to swallow but perhaps GSW are better than people gave them credit for.

vCash
    Oops... may have spoken too soon about GSW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poz303 View Post
    Well, I think GK was the best coach in the NBA during the regular season. Nuggets had the worst schedule at the start of the season and the west is by far more balanced and tougher than the east.

Yes, GK makes my head hurt in the post season but with the way he got this team to play during the season, through injuries, youth and schedule he deserves the award. Good for him.

And I know other teams have had injuries but Gallo, in the west, was a huge blow to the nuggets.

We are in the third qtr of game 2 between GSW and SAS, and GSW are 18 points up. They should have won game 1. They should be 1-1 by the end of the night and could clear have been 2-0 up. Maybe people have underestimated GSW and Nuggets, with the injury to Gallo, ran into a hot team. Doesnt make the first round exit any easier to swallow but perhaps GSW are better than people gave them credit for.
    GSW doing their thing

Losing Gallo hurt somewhat but the small things Karl doesn't do catches up to him in the playoffs. Not playing certain players who can actually play, playing favorites during the season and inability to recognize what works and what doesn't. If Hamilton Randolph Evan Mosgov got minutes all through the year, that series would have been different. We don't havea star so we should be playing as much people as possible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastson View Post
    GSW doing their thing

Losing Gallo hurt somewhat but the small things Karl doesn't do catches up to him in the playoffs. Not playing certain players who can actually play, playing favorites during the season and inability to recognize what works and what doesn't. If Hamilton Randolph Evan Mosgov got minutes all through the year, that series would have been different. We don't havea star so we should be playing as much people as possible
    Have to agree with you. And he should have started McGee a lot sooner. And we all want a pure shooter (as we said last off-season) yet JHam gets no love and no playing time. He is probably the best shooter on the team.

vCash
    Best season in franchise history, 2nd best seeding in franchise history..

Promptly gets schooled out of the first round by a 2nd year (1st year play-off) coach with a lesser team.

Sounds about right.

But..anytime you set a franchise record in wins..you deserve some credit...I guess. Hard not to see why he wouldn't get this award.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poz303 View Post
    Well, I think GK was the best coach in the NBA during the regular season.
    the regular season is preperation for the playoffs. and GK did a ****** job of that.

he got us a good seed, but i thank altitude for that just as much as GK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurple View Post
    the regular season is preperation for the playoffs. and GK did a ****** job of that.

he got us a good seed, but i thank altitude for that just as much as GK
    Yup. Before altitude showed up, the franchise was struggling. But suddenly altitude was here and voila.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Yup. Before altitude showed up, the franchise was struggling. But suddenly altitude was here and voila.
    That's right, altitude only shows up when you run hard I guess GK is on to something there