Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Hanrahan DLed, Webster called up (starts tomorrow), Doubront to pen

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 3m
    Red Sox placed RHP Joel Hanrahan on the 15-day DL with right forearm strain. RHP Allen Webster recalled from Pawtucket.
    Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m
    Webster starts tomorrow. Doubront to bullpen beginning tonight.
    Pete Abraham twitter

vCash
    Praise the lord.

vCash
    Farrell says Webster is "short-term" as well as Felix in the pen. I'm willing to bet that two quality starts by Webster might really push the Sox to keep him in the rotation. Then maybe a phantom DL for Felix for a bit.

vCash
    Doubront is a serviceable #5 starter, but due to the fact that he rarely pitches over 5 innings, he might be better off serving as a swingman out of the pen with Webster taking his spot in the rotation. Can't stress enough how much I love this decision.

vCash
    Felix is a solid 5th starter but like AI said, we can't afford his regular short starts with the way the pen is right now. I agree that this is the right decision. I just hope Webster can make it tough to send him back down.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    There's 0 chance Webster takes Doubront's spot right now. It would ruin the sp depth. If one of our starters gets injured there is Webster and no one else. Morales is injured, RDLR is still building up the pitch count, Aceves would have been called up to relieve if he was a realistic option. Webster will go down after the start for another reliever. Also at this point Webster is pretty much a 5 inning guy too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    There's 0 chance Webster takes Doubront's spot right now. It would ruin the sp depth. If one of our starters gets injured there is Webster and no one else. Morales is injured, RDLR is still building up the pitch count, Aceves would have been called up to relieve if he was a realistic option. Webster will go down after the start for another reliever. Also at this point Webster is pretty much a 5 inning guy too.
    Quick news about Rubby, his pitch count in starts have now been increased to 75.

vCash
    Ehhhh, I wouldn't say 0 quite yet. If he pitches well like he did in his ML debut, the sox will have little choice but to throw him out there again and again.

This move is more telling of the sox's outlook on Doubront. It's been pretty clear so far this season that his arm/shoulder strength is nowhere near what is has been in the past. He's topped out at like 89mph so far this season when he's been a career 93-94mph fastball pitcher. If he's not throwing cheese, he's extremely hittable, which has been very clear so far this season.

It's pretty clear that Doubront has been out of shape since he came into spring training, like someone said above a DL stint looks to be on the horizon until he strengthen his shoulder/arm back to where he needs it to be in order to throw his mustard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Quite so. Too early to give up on Felix. However the patience of the Sox won't last forever.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    Ehhhh, I wouldn't say 0 quite yet. If he pitches well like he did in his ML debut, the sox will have little choice but to throw him out there again and again.

This move is more telling of the sox's outlook on Doubront. It's been pretty clear so far this season that his arm/shoulder strength is nowhere near what is has been in the past. He's topped out at like 89mph so far this season when he's been a career 93-94mph fastball pitcher. If he's not throwing cheese, he's extremely hittable, which has been very clear so far this season.

It's pretty clear that Doubront has been out of shape since he came into spring training, like someone said above a DL stint looks to be on the horizon until he strengthen his shoulder/arm back to where he needs it to be in order to throw his mustard.
    The only reason Webster was called up is because the bullpen is completely taxed and he was the only legitimate option. It doesn't matter how he pitches, they will likely send him down and call up Wright or Bard just to eat innings. Phantom dl'ing Doubront is ridiculous. It was only one terrible start, and they cannot afford to lose starting pitchers right now. If Lackey gets hurt again, or Clay gets hurt while Doubront is on the DL we would be in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Quite so. Too early to give up on Felix. However the patience of the Sox won't last forever.
    Definitely. Doubront losing his spot is a June-July thing if he's sturggling. Morales could get it if he is healthy and pitching well.

vCash
    Definitely. Doubront losing his spot is a June-July thing if he's sturggling. Morales could get it if he is healthy and pitching well.
    Only way Webster doesn't get Douby's spot in the rotation if he loses it is if he's injured.

vCash
    Doubront us getting very unlucky with BABIP, way too early to give up. If he gets on a hot streak he could at least be a valuable trade piece given he's a lefty with a very high k rate and multiple years of control.

vCash
    "I think everyone looks forward to seeing that guy on the mound," Farrell said. "He's got great stuff. He's showed he's got very good poise in the first outing he made for us and we'll see it again [Wednesday night]."

Doubront will only be in the bullpen through this turn in the rotation, Farrell said.

"As we're going through this couple-day period to somewhat regroup and get our pitching back on track, this was the one way that we could communicate to everyone involved -- pitchers -- that this would be a concrete plan over the next couple days.

"We didn't want Felix going down and either getting loose or possibly being available -- he is available tonight -- but potentially coming into that game with the thought of him starting tomorrow as well. This was the way to be clear-cut about it."
    Boston Globe

I'm sure the explanation makes sense in Farrell's mind but I can't say that I get it. Regardless, I like the way Farrell communicates with his players; he gets the point across without throwing guys under the bus. I've got to think that part of "get[ting] our pitching back on track" is to let Felix know that he's not irreplaceable in the rotation. Otherwise why not go straight after RP who will be called up to replace Webster?

Webster could be more than a 5IP guy, at least for the one start he's got. The Twins are not exactly setting the world on fire at the plate (below league average OBP, 13th BA and lowest SLG in the AL). Couple that with Webster's success against MIN in ST (6IP, 2H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 7K) and he could give another solid 6+IP.

Wonder who the replacement arm will be when he's done? Bard is still throwing fewer than 50% of his pitches for strikes. It could be Wright as a long man but Farrell showed no faith in him while he was up earlier; no need to have a RP you won't use... not while the pen is grinding. Jose De La Torre got some hype for his work against MLB players in the WBC and has put up nice numbers for PAW (0ER over his last 7G/12.2 innings). Rowland-Smith has also been waaayyy ahead of the AAA competition and might merit a refill on his cup o' coffee. (I know the Sox need a spot on the 40-man for the last couple of guys. If the Sox think Morales is more than 3 weeks from being ready he could move to the 60-day DL to accommodate such move).
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 05-07-2013 at 11:26 PM.

vCash
    You get more innings with Doubront who can go multiple innings in the pen and then Webster's replacement. I think part of it is mechanical, one of the reporters said Nieves was working closely with him in his throwing session.

I wouldn't be surprised if Webster went deep and threw a gem since teams are unfamiliar with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's all over the place and Doubront essentially becomes a piggy back starter in the game. Young players are unpredictable and inconsistent. That's not the type of pitcher he is right now though. His last start in the minors was the first time hes went more than 5 innings in the minors this year. I only brought it up because people kill Doubront for that, but it's a common thing with young pitchers. People hated Lester and wanted him gone for the same thing. Wright would be brought up strictly as mop up to prevent the pen getting killed in case we have another early blowup.

Webster is the type of prospect that you want to give starts when guys are injured. During the stretch run move him to the pen if your in contention and hope he becomes a huge weapon in the playoffs as a reliever. Felix will have to get hit hard multiple times to lose his job.

vCash
    "This is intriguing for a number of reasons. First, Webster has been excellent for Pawtucket in four starts, and impressed in his major league debut two weekends ago. Additionally, the lack of efficiency that has plagued Doubront as a starter would be less relevant in a shorter role, while streamlining his repertoire may help improve his already stellar strikeout rate. However, the time seems wrong for such a move, particularly if it is only going to fill a short-term need. Webster, while tremendously intriguing and obviously talented, still has made only five starts above Double-A. There is obvious downside to rushing his development at this point. Also, while Doubront's occasional inconsistency has been frustrating, it is part of the development curve for a 25-year-old, and his positives of a high strikeout rate and top notch stuff make it short-sighted to change course. Furthermore, such a move would cut into the Red Sox already-precarious starting pitcher depth. The team was burned last season by moving Franklin Morales back and forth between the rotation and bullpen, and are unlikely to repeat the mistake with Doubront. If, come midsummer, the Red Sox haven't developed a long-term hold to fill in the bullpen, if Doubront is still struggling to find consistency, and Webster is ready to graduate Triple-A, this could be an option. The timing is wrong for such a move right now."
    Soxprospects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast