Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Saad nominated for Calder

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422521

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Montreal Canadiens right-winger Brendan Gallagher, Florida Panthers centre Jonathan Huberdeau and Chicago Blackhawks left-winger Brandon Saad were named finalists for the Calder Memorial Trophy on Monday.

The honour goes to the NHL's top rookie. The winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup final.

Gallagher ranked second among NHL rookies this past season with 15 goals. He had 28 points in 44 games and finished in the top five among league freshmen in shots on goal (117), plus-minus (plus-10) and game-winning goals (three).

The 21-year-old forward was selected by the Canadiens in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Huberdeau, selected by the Panthers with the third overall pick in 2011, had 31 points (14-17) in 48 games. Saad, picked by the Blackhawks in the second round of the 2011 draft, had 27 points (10-17) in 46 games.

Members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association submitted ballots for the Calder Trophy at the conclusion of the regular season. The top three vote-getters were designated as finalists.

The NHL will announce the finalists for the James Norris Memorial Trophy on Tuesday. The honour goes to the top defenceman.

vCash
    Was an absolute steal in the second round. I was hoping the Wings would grab him.

He's had a great season. He's looked good in the top six from the 5-6 games that I've watched this season. He's going to be a very good player.. BUT.. I'm shocked that he got nominated here. I really thought Jonas Brodie should have got that nomination.

With that said, what do you guys think his offensive ceiling is? Watching him, I see a 35/35 type guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Was an absolute steal in the second round. I was hoping the Wings would grab him.

He's had a great season. He's looked good in the top six from the 5-6 games that I've watched this season. He's going to be a very good player.. BUT.. I'm shocked that he got nominated here. I really thought Jonas Brodie should have got that nomination.

With that said, what do you guys think his offensive ceiling is? Watching him, I see a 35/35 type guy.
    Tough to say. Played on the top line with two likely future HOF's and really struggled to get points the first third of the season or so. Really turned it on in a big way the last 15 games. Love his hustle and instincts. Will be interesting to see how he does in his first full season next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Tough to say. Played on the top line with two likely future HOF's and really struggled to get points the first third of the season or so. Really turned it on in a big way the last 15 games. Love his hustle and instincts. Will be interesting to see how he does in his first full season next year.
    I really noticed him the last two games Chicago played Detroit. I thought he was really good. I got to watch a bit of him when he was playing in juniors.. and he was a very good player. I had him going earlier in the draft.

vCash
    I think in terms of career production, we're looking at a 25-25 guy who plays a respectable two-way game and might have a 30 goal campaign mixed in. Honestly, I'm more than thrilled with that.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I think in terms of career production, we're looking at a 25-25 guy who plays a respectable two-way game and might have a 30 goal campaign mixed in. Honestly, I'm more than thrilled with that.
    The player I keep thinking of when trying to draw a comparison for Saad in terms of production and not necessarily playing style is RJ Umberger. Umberger's more of a checker and he can play some C if need be, but I think Saad will put up slightly higher point totals. I see Saad being a 50-point player with a few 60-point seasons peppered in there. I could see him being an Andrew Ladd type player (once again, in terms of production and not necessarily playing style).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    The player I keep thinking of when trying to draw a comparison for Saad in terms of production and not necessarily playing style is RJ Umberger. Umberger's more of a checker and he can play some C if need be, but I think Saad will put up slightly higher point totals. I see Saad being a 50-point player with a few 60-point seasons peppered in there. I could see him being an Andrew Ladd type player (once again, in terms of production and not necessarily playing style).
    It's hard to project him at this early stage in his career. I think given his ability and how he plays the game, if he can emulate Sharp and be the next Patrick Sharp, then he will have surpassed his ceiling imo. He's got a long way to go to get to Sharp's level, but they are a very similar style of player. Offensively, he's not a pure scorer or dishman, he does a mix of both. He skates like a young Sharp and checks like he does too. His defense is slightly above average. His instincts and hustle bail him out of jams that his youth creates, but through the maturation process and playing with especially Toews/Hossa/Sharp, his cerebral game will come around. He'll learn how to position himself in his own zone with and without the puck, he'll learn how to create while being defended by more than one man, and he'll need to learn the players in the league better. This last point of learning opponents really showed during the 2nd half of the season. He struggled against certain defensive players early in the year, but then the 2nd and 3rd time playing those d-men, you could see that he watched film with the coaches and learned the do's and don'ts.

With all that being said, it's also tough to project a guy's point ceiling on a deep team likes the Hawks have had for a few years now and will likely have for years to come. Guys are saying he could be a 50-60 point player in a full season and I hope you're right. However, on a deep team and even when you score a lot of goals, often times there's not a lot to go around on the stat sheet. For example, in the 2011-12 full season, only 4 players had over 43 points and only 4 guys had over 48 points in the 2010-11 season. So instead of projecting what his points ceiling could be, I'd just be happy if he's the next Patrick Sharp and can contribute at a high level for the Hawks for the next decade. Will be interesting to watch him grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    It's hard to project him at this early stage in his career. I think given his ability and how he plays the game, if he can emulate Sharp and be the next Patrick Sharp, then he will have surpassed his ceiling imo. He's got a long way to go to get to Sharp's level, but they are a very similar style of player. Offensively, he's not a pure scorer or dishman, he does a mix of both. He skates like a young Sharp and checks like he does too. His defense is slightly above average. His instincts and hustle bail him out of jams that his youth creates, but through the maturation process and playing with especially Toews/Hossa/Sharp, his cerebral game will come around. He'll learn how to position himself in his own zone with and without the puck, he'll learn how to create while being defended by more than one man, and he'll need to learn the players in the league better. This last point of learning opponents really showed during the 2nd half of the season. He struggled against certain defensive players early in the year, but then the 2nd and 3rd time playing those d-men, you could see that he watched film with the coaches and learned the do's and don'ts.

With all that being said, it's also tough to project a guy's point ceiling on a deep team likes the Hawks have had for a few years now and will likely have for years to come. Guys are saying he could be a 50-60 point player in a full season and I hope you're right. However, on a deep team and even when you score a lot of goals, often times there's not a lot to go around on the stat sheet. For example, in the 2011-12 full season, only 4 players had over 43 points and only 4 guys had over 48 points in the 2010-11 season. So instead of projecting what his points ceiling could be, I'd just be happy if he's the next Patrick Sharp and can contribute at a high level for the Hawks for the next decade. Will be interesting to watch him grow.
    I'd be thrilled if he was the next Sharp. I love Saad's skating ability. He looks much more confident this year. We got a steal.