Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How does this series play out?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Jays sweep

4 23.53%
  • Blue Jays take 3/4

7 41.18%
  • Series split

4 23.53%
  • Rays take 3/4

2 11.76%
  • Rays sweep

0 0%
Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Blue Jays vs Rays: May 6-9

Toronto Blue Jays

VS

Tamp Bay Rays

Monday, May 6, 7:10 PM EDT, Tropicana Field

vs
    Mark Buehrle.........Jeremy Hellickson
    1-2, 6.43 ERA..........1-2, 4.71 ERA

Buehrle continued to struggle in a Blue Jays uniform by surrendering three homers in his last start vs. Boston. It was the second consecutive start he allowed that many home runs and the 16th time overall in his career.

Hellickson allowed four runs on nine hits en route to a five-inning no-decision Wednesday night against the Royals. He is 3-2 with a 2.89 ERA in six career starts against the Blue Jays.

Tuesday, May 7, 7:10 PM EDT, Tropicana Field

vs
    J.A. Happ.........Roberto Hernandez
    2-2, 3.98 ERA...........1-4, 5.28 ERA

Happ was anything but sharp in his last outing against Boston. The lefty made it through only 3 2/3 innings, allowing three hits, two earned runs, and walking a career-high seven.

Hernandez has just one quality start in five outings, and gave up five runs on eight hits (three homers) in six innings in his last start in Chicago. His start against Kansas City was postponed by snow. He has 30 strikeouts in 30 2/3 innings.

Wednesday, May 8, 7:10 PM EDT, Tropicana Field

vs
    Ricky Romero.............Matt Moore
    0-1, 6.75 ERA.........5-0, 1.95 ERA

Romero's return to a big league mound on Friday came with mixed results. The Toronto lefty stymied Seattle through the first three innings before having trouble locating the strike zone.

Moore struggled with his command in a no-decision in Colorado, going five innings and yielding four runs on seven hits and four walks. He was out of sync and uncomfortable, but he battled and the Rays won in extras.

Thursday, May 9, 7:10 PM EDT, Tropicana Field

vs
    R.A. Dickey.......David Price
    2-5, 5.36 ERA..........1-3, 6.25 ERA

An extra day of rest didn't help Dickey vs. the Mariners. He surrendered three home runs, including a grand slam, allowing seven earned runs in only six innings. The good news, however, is that his upper back feels the best it has in a while.

Price battled without his best stuff at Coors Field on Saturday, allowing 11 hits and giving up nine runs for the first time in four years. His velocity was down, resulting in less effective secondary pitches.

Blue Jays, Rays looking to change fortunes
    Both teams have high expectations, but find themselves below .500

The season is just over a month old, but the early hole the Blue Jays find themselves in continues to deepen with each series loss. They will have a fresh start beginning Monday against the Rays.

The Jays managed to avoid being swept by the Mariners and ended a four-game losing streak with a 10-2 win in the series finale Sunday, but they have still won only one series this year and have dropped 10 of their last 13 games.

"We're digging a pretty big hole right now," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "There's no question about it."

A team laden with All-Stars and high expectations has largely disappointed from the onset, falling to last place in the always-contentious American League East. They were outscored, 25-3, in their four games before Sunday.

"As hard as it is, I'm always optimistic," Gibbons said. "I know how the game works. Things can change in a hurry. ... There's no question this business takes a toll on you. Especially this stretch, where it's a constant bombardment."

The Toronto offense will most likely face similar challenges this week at Tropicana Field, where the teams kick off a crucial four-game series Monday. The Rays enter Monday in fourth place in the division but with a four-game advantage on the last-place Blue Jays.

And the Blue Jays know a series against the Rays always comes with formidable pitching matchups. Tampa Bay will send right-hander Jeremy Hellickson to the hill for the opener, as he looks for his second win of the year.

Hellickson, who is 3-2 with a 2.89 ERA in six career starts against Toronto, allowed four runs on nine hits en route to a five-inning no-decision Wednesday against the Royals.

"I haven't been as consistent as I want," Hellickson said. "There was a three-game stretch there where I felt as good as I ever have, and then those last two games have been awful, pretty terrible."

Hellickson said he knows what he is up against Monday.

"They have a lot of the same guys," he said. "A lot of really good hitters. I know they're not playing to their potential right now, but on any given day the offense can get started, and with the offense they have it could be any day, so I'm going to have to go out and be a little better."

Blue Jays: Buehrle goes for win No. 2
    Toronto will send veteran Mark Buehrle to the hill for the series opener, as he also looks for his second win of the year. The left-hander has struggled in his first season with the Blue Jays, and he surrendered three homers for the second consecutive outing in his last start against Boston.

"I have to make better pitches," said Buehrle, who has a 6.43 ERA. "[I] have to keep the ball down, execute pitches and stay low in the zone."

Adam Lind has drawn a walk in eight of his last 11 games dating back to April 15. Prior to that, he had drawn only three.

Rays: Welcome back to the Trop
    The Rays should welcome their return to Tropicana Field this week. After Sunday's win over the Rockies in their series finale in Colorado, the Rays were 4-5 on their latest road stretch and 6-12 overall in road games this year.

Tampa Bay will be opening a 10-game, 11-day homestand against the Blue Jays, Padres and Red Sox. The Rays are 8-4 at home this season.

Over his last 17 games played (beginning April 17), first baseman James Loney has hit .528 (28-for-53) to raise his batting average more than 230 points, from .167 to .398.

Worth noting
    Toronto's Casey Janssen has recorded seven saves in as many opportunities this year. He has notched a save in each of his last 13 chances and 29 of his last 31 dating back to May 9, when he took over as closer.

The Rays have given up a lead in 11 of their 16 losses this season. In 2012, they gave up the lead in 34 of their 72 losses.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    Alright, TB hasn't been playing that well either. So I think we should shoot for at least a split. Anything above that would be outstanding.
    And if we lose this series, Alyssa gotta go:-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    Alright, TB hasn't been playing that well either. So I think we should shoot for at least a split. Anything above that would be outstanding.
    And if we lose this series, Alyssa gotta go:-)
    Alyssa wasn't around for the last series. She clearly isn't the problem!
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    Winning is nice.
    Love Bautista's return last 7 days...313/520/375 ...895 OPS. Getting on alot more, more walks and singles. Already leads team in OBP and OPS at .830 ( only player over 800) except Reyes!

Cabrera, wow, holding off on getting too excited but would be great if this is things to come from a CLEAN Melky.

1 Thing.......If Cabrera was brought in as an upgrade to Davis in LF, why in the last 3 games did Davis play LF and Cabrera DH'd. You'd think if he was the upgrade that it would be Melky out there?
    Last edited by wagnall; 05-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StealingSigns View Post
    Alyssa wasn't around for the last series. She clearly isn't the problem!
    Of course she isn't the problem. But we need some sort of a lucky charm or voodoo at this point:-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    Of course she isn't the problem. But we need some sort of a lucky charm or voodoo at this point:-)
    I think we should have a fan of the "game". Post some picture of a Jays fan until one of them proves to be good luck.

vCash
    I went 3 for 4 but we are going to have to pitch, hit and score like yesterday. The run Diff. last year was incredible. 3 maybe stretching, but I'm hopin for 2 series wins (5-2) which gets us closer to .500.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    I think we should have a fan of the "game". Post some picture of a Jays fan until one of them proves to be good luck.
    As long as they dress like Alyssa, and are hot !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    Agreed!

vCash
    I would accept picture of male blue jay fans if it meant winning.

Here is the 1st picture I found from my googling: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8154/7...ed330d9f_z.jpg

vCash
    Winning is nice.
    Love Bautista's return last 7 days...313/520/375 ...895 OPS. Getting on alot more, more walks and singles. Already leads team in OBP and OPS at .830 ( only player over 800) except Reyes!

Cabrera, wow, holding off on getting too excited but would be great if this is things to come from a CLEAN Melky.

1 Thing.......If Cabrera was brought in as an upgrade to Davis in LF, why in the last 3 games did Davis play LF and Cabrera DH'd. You'd think if he was the upgrade that it would be Melky out there?
    Gibbons said Melky has been a bit banged up and they wanted to DH him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    I would accept picture of male blue jay fans if it meant winning.

Here is the 1st picture I found from my googling: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8154/7...ed330d9f_z.jpg
    That looks good. Girls are very attractive and have nice legs. The guys you can white out...LOL, But seriously, that is a nice picture . What you going to do with them?
    Last edited by wagnall; 05-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    Gibbons said Melky has been a bit banged up and they wanted to DH him.
    Fair enough, did not hear that, but makes sence. Just seemed odd!

vCash
    Try Melky at DH and put Rajai in LF -- Rajai is hitting well, a way to keep him and his speed in the lineup. Eliminates Lind in the lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Try Melky at DH and put Rajai in LF -- Rajai is hitting well, a way to keep him and his speed in the lineup. Eliminates Lind in the lineup.
    Thats what they did all weekend.......

Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast