Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Reimer your guy

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!!! Reimer I want Reimer to be our guy for the next 10 years

9 42.86%
  • I believe in Reimer but he needs to improve in some area's to be considered a legit #1

10 47.62%
  • I want a 2 goalie system going into next season

0 0%
  • No we need a legit number 1 guy

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is James Reimer our guy long term, has he won you over

Been thinking about this the last couple days. There is no doubt he has been great for us, he has been huge but I am so worried about his rebound control and his glove. I am going to date myself a bit but Reimer reminds me of Jim Carrey. Carrey had an insane couple of years but once everyone figured out he had no glove pucks starting get past him pretty easy. Carrey also had horrible rebound control.

In my idea world I would have loved to run with Reimer and Kipper and i suppose that could be an option going into next year. I believe Reimer could be in the 7-13 range as far as goalie rankings in the league if he can solve those 2 issues. I think a good experienced backup could really help

I hope i don't get ragged on for being a terrible Leafs fan with this but just want to know how everyone else feels.

Thoughts

vCash
    tied for 7th in save % in the reg season this year at the age of 25, I'll take that.
    last season they started pickin on his glove, this season its got a bit better.
    he also played huge down the stretch.
    I love reims in net,

vCash
    He's still young and has improved a lot since his ECHL days. I really do think he can be like Potvin for us and be our #1 for a number of years.

vCash
    There are only 3-5 superstar goalies in this league nowadays and you dont need to have one of them to be a contender anymore if you play a strong team defensive system. Average to slightly above average goalies can put up huge stats in a good system. Look at St.Louis, Chicago, Anaheim and SanJose among many other teams, they don't have superstar goalies, but with their systems their goalies put up great numbers. Carlyle has done this before with Giguere in Anaheim and I personally think he can do it here too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
    There are only 3-5 superstar goalies in this league nowadays and you dont need to have one of them to be a contender anymore if you play a strong team defensive system. Average to slightly above average goalies can put up huge stats in a good system. Look at St.Louis, Chicago, Anaheim and SanJose among many other teams, they don't have superstar goalies, but with their systems their goalies put up great numbers. Carlyle has done this before with Giguere in Anaheim and I personally think he can do it here too.
    This right here. This is why we see guys like Mike Smith put up great stats in Phoenix...and every goalie before him. You have a good system, you have good goalie stats. There are superstar goalies like Lundqvist,Rinne(who was bad this year),Price(also bad this year) and one or two more but most goalies rely on the players around them and not purely on athletic ability. It's a tricky position. Lundqvist has possibly the best d-core infront of him but anybody who's watched a Rangers game knows that without him, that team is nothing. Rinne played poorly this year and it showed in the standings even with guys like Weber,Blum etc in front of him.

I guess it goes to show that some goalies are only as good as the defense in front of them. Reimer has been great this year. Not elite, not top 5, but good enough. Stick a Norris trophy winner in front of him and he'll look elite. Craig Anderson is a good example. Not super athletic. Doesn't usually make crazy saves. The defensive system in front of him allows him to see shots,make many easy saves etc. Now, he's been great this year, obviously, but anybody that the Sens have stuck between the pipes has looked amazing which says a lot about the coaching/system. Goaltending is not what it was a decade ago. Having an elite, athletic goaltender is a luxury, but not a necessity to win a cup. Stick with Reimer.

vCash
    He's doing the job well right now so stick with him. That being said he's like anybody else on the team to me. If you can find someone better and it makes sence then go for that. If not let him keep doing his thing. He's entering "prime" years right now so the best may be yet to come. The playoffs will do nothing but help him anyways.

vCash
    I don't agree with any of the options on the poll. I'm closest to number one but leaning to number 2 except I do believe that even if he doesn't necessarily fix a few of those issues, he's still a solid number one goalie. He's getting better too which is encouraging.

vCash
    I don't really agree with the questions in the poll either. But, if anything, he's done enough to warrant the franchise giving him the opportunity to be #1 next season (and not bringing in a veteran #1). Let's see what he can do in a full season. He's certainly looked good enough this year... good enough that we shouldn't be considering goaltending our #1 off-season priority. We definitely shouldn't be toying with the idea of moving any prospects to aquire a goalie, Leafs fans are finally getting to see what can become of highly touted, home grown prospects.

vCash
    Yes, he is the man, and has a hot wife. Now close the thread. LOL.

All jokes aside yes he is our guy, what I think he really needs to work on is his rebound control, his glove side and being a little bit more patient when it comes to out waiting the shooter when they are going up high. Other than that he is great at everything else. These playoffs are good for him. He is only what 25 years old? He is still really damn young, with his attitude and learning curve he can be a top no.1. Compare him to last year boy he is solid. Also last game with Devils this year was no fluke, the man committed serious robberies there.

vCash
    Reimer is the guy this guy bounces back from horrible games like a stud shut down the bruins in game 5. I want this guy around for the next 10 years but i do say the leafs should sign him to a 6 year 30 million contract when he is a free agent

vCash
    If he can control a few more rebounds he might be the guy, but I'm not 100% sold yet.

Leafs, Raps, Jays, and Bills fan!

vCash
    What more does he need to do? When he's been healthy he's been stellar. If I have to pick between Reimer, Luongo and Kipprasoff for the next 5 years it's a no brainer to me I'd go with Reimer. You always want to have someone capable of pushing the starter though so I think a more appropriate question right now is if Scrivens is the right guy to be the back up?

vCash
    Also everyone talks about his glove and rebound control but to me his weakness is puck handling. His glove has looked great lately, rebound control has been average.

vCash
    I think he has stepped up and delivered for the Leafs this season and has proven to me that he can be our number 1 goalie. That being said, I would like to see the Leafs look at drafting a high end goalie prospect in the draft this year like Fucale. He likely would not be NHL for quite a while, but I like the idea of drafting and developing a goalie with a high ceiling properly. There would be no need to rush him to the NHL with Reimer here and this gives the Leafs possible stability in net for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMichael View Post
    I think he has stepped up and delivered for the Leafs this season and has proven to me that he can be our number 1 goalie. That being said, I would like to see the Leafs look at drafting a high end goalie prospect in the draft this year like Fucale. He likely would not be NHL for quite a while, but I like the idea of drafting and developing a goalie with a high ceiling properly. There would be no need to rush him to the NHL with Reimer here and this gives the Leafs possible stability in net for years.
    If we could have him and Sparks as the start to our depth in goal I'll be pretty happy with that. Also if we could get a veteran backup for Reimer I think it would do wonders and make him even better. Reims will never be Olympic level or perrenial All-Star but he could be a guy that has a few great years for us and remains a reliable guy for the rest of it. What i think we all love about Reimer is the fact that he doesn't let in the garbage 60 foot wrist shots that Toskala and Raycroft were so famous for letting in on a game by game basis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast