Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Chances of getting CP3 (again) just doubled

Gotta love the Clips being swept in the first round.
    CP3 is pissed, the issue of him being the only tough competitor on that team has become a national story line, & he has stated he is looking at free agent options.

So our chances of getting him back (F you Stern/Silver) just doubled.
    I know this is unlikely given the CBA gymnastics required, but its not impossible.
    Doubling may mean going from 5% to 10%, but that is still doubling.

And/Or: if he leaves Clipper land, he may displace some other quality point guard who could become available to us. This is the whole reason the Clips held onto Bledsoe, to replace Paul if he no-signed. So now Paul is free, this will be fun to watch...
    The Los Angeles Lakers

We have so many of these, we give them out to our fans.

vCash
    Hopefully him n Dwight don't partner up and sign in Dallas or something

vCash
    No way we get CP3

vCash
    How, exactly, would we get him though? We can't S&T for him (unless we amnesty Kobe and trade Pau without taking any salary back). Why would he want to come to the Lakers at that point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog-99 View Post
    CP3 is pissed, the issue of him being the only tough competitor on that team has become a national story line, & he has stated he is looking at free agent options.

I know this is unlikely given the CBA gymnastics required, but its not impossible.

And/Or: if he leaves Clipper land, he may displace some other quality point guard who could become available to us. This is the whole reason the Clips held onto Bledsoe, to replace Paul if he no-signed. So now Paul is free, this will be fun to watch...
    How would we get Chris Paul? We don't have any cap room so we can't do a sign and trade. We aren't going to amnesty Kobe. Our only tradable asset is Pau Gasol. We have no draft picks to trade.

In order to sign Chris Paul we would need to:

1. Amnesty Kobe.
    2. Trade Pau to a team with cap room and not take any major salary back.
    3. Hope Dwight re-signs.
    4. Hope Artest opts out of his deal.
    5. Probably trade Nash or Blake.

Unless Chris Paul says I want to join the Lakers, can we stop with the CP3 to Lakers threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog-99 View Post

The odds are still long, but I'm not going to dispute your premise. If it was a billion-to-one shot before, I think the back half of the Clippers' season and the lazy way the Clippers got beat has probably narrowed the odds to 500 million to one.

One advantage the Lakers had all year was that the season-long disaster was process in real time. Making the playoffs almost seemed like a miracle at the end, particularly after Kobe snapped the rubber band in his ankle, giving us a sure-fire excuse about why we got swept.

The Clippers are only just now starting to process why they stink, and I imagine there's going to be a fair amount of turmoil to come -- including whether or not the head coach stays. Does CP3 want to be part of that rebuilding effort, or has he seen enough of Blake Griffin's limited skillz?

If I'm Mitch Kupchak, CP3 is the first guy I talk to in the off season, and I'm willing to give up anything to get his leadership and grit and decision making.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    The odds are still long, but I'm not going to dispute your premise. If it was a billion-to-one shot before, I think the back half of the Clippers' season and the lazy way the Clippers got beat has probably narrowed the odds to 500 million to one.

One advantage the Lakers had all year was that the season-long disaster was process in real time. Making the playoffs almost seemed like a miracle at the end, particularly after Kobe snapped the rubber band in his ankle, giving us a sure-fire excuse about why we got swept.

The Clippers are only just now starting to process why they stink, and I imagine there's going to be a fair amount of turmoil to come -- including whether or not the head coach stays. Does CP3 want to be part of that rebuilding effort, or has he seen enough of Blake Griffin's limited skillz?

If I'm Mitch Kupchak, CP3 is the first guy I talk to in the off season, and I'm willing to give up anything to get his leadership and grit and decision making.
    one can make a very strong argument that Lakers need more rebuilding than Clippers do.

vCash
    its funny though....

some lakers fans "Dwight wont leave money on the table..."

some lakers fans "CP3 would leave clippers because he is mad.."

Dwight and CP3 are both in the same exact boat. And as someone mentioned above...if they both join a team somewhere...that would be a disaster! r

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGLakers View Post
    one can make a very strong argument that Lakers need more rebuilding than Clippers do.
    Again, I don't disagree. But if the Lakers were healthy for the playoffs, I think we would all agree that they'd actually have been in a pretty good position given the way the other teams in the West are struggling. Kobe's injury really killed any hope, but it's not as if we don't have pieces and playoff experience. Our biggest liability is simple age, which is the main reason we need to retool.

But what about the Clips? They're not old like the Lakers, they just flat-out failed in the first round. Where did the experienced and deep bench go? Where was their defense? Why was CP3 the only go-to guy when it really counted?

I'm not saying the Clips will blow up the roster -- but that's actually the problem. If they're not willing to make the changes that need to be made to become serious title contenders, is CP3 going to be interesting in hanging around? I mean, if you're CP3, do you really see re-signing with the Clippers as a great choice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post

This I can agree with. Doubling of the odds means very little in terms of the Lakers getting CP3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    How would we get Chris Paul? We don't have any cap room so we can't do a sign and trade. We aren't going to amnesty Kobe. Our only tradable asset is Pau Gasol. We have no draft picks to trade.

In order to sign Chris Paul we would need to:

1. Amnesty Kobe.
    2. Trade Pau to a team with cap room and not take any major salary back.
    3. Hope Dwight re-signs.
    4. Hope Artest opts out of his deal.
    5. Probably trade Nash or Blake.

Unless Chris Paul says I want to join the Lakers, can we stop with the CP3 to Lakers threads.
    I do typically enjoy your knowledge of the new CBA, but couldn't we realistically create enough space to sign CP3 with either option #1 OR option #2 as opposed to the entire list being necessary to make it happen?

There are still TPEs in the new CBA, correct? If DH12 and CP3 strategize to land in the same spot and, if that spot is in Lakerland, it would appear Pau - unfortunate as it may be - is the odd man out anyway. A TPE for Pau would create the necessary space to sign a max backloaded contract.

On a side note to all; say what you will about Nash - and I'm not convinced he was remotely healthy at any point all year - but we'd have CP3 penetrating and kicking to one of the purest perimiter shooters in the league? That's pretty enticing.

vCash
    We would have to drop around $50 million in salary. Please tell me how that happens. It can't so lets just move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DODGERS&LAKERS View Post
    We would have to drop around $50 million in salary. Please tell me how that happens. It can't so lets just move on.
    Why $50mil?

vCash
    To answer the question of "why the Lakers when they have to rebuild" is:

Most teams that can take him have to rebuild in some way.
    So you go to the Lakers because they are the Lakers.
    They have some pieces in place, a plan for after next year w/ cap space & the history of the Lakers to rebuild upon.
    Frankly they have a $3B contract with TWC that they have to live up to as well.

The Clips, Cavs, Rockets, Dallas, all have history too. Most of it not any good, and a lot of it stinking bad.

Do understand I know this is a long shot, but its a shot.
    The whole point of me posting this is that it is what I want to have happen, though it is exceedingly unlikely.
    Id much rather post on PSD & argue with Laker fans, then watch the Grizz completely choke a game to OKC, or NYK play Indiana. It just all crap when the Lakers arent in the mix.

The Lakers ARE the center of the NBA universe.
    That gravity pulls all great things toward US.
    The Los Angeles Lakers

We have so many of these, we give them out to our fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Why $50mil?
    As of now we have a payroll of $78 million. And that's without Dwight.

With Dwight we're at about $100 million. Even if we amnesty cut Kobe, we're still about $12 million over the cap... If we trade Pau for picks we're about $10 million under the cap. And that's still not enough for CP3. We don't have his bird rights and I don't see him leaving that much money on the table.

Therefore to have enough capspace we need to 1. cut Kobe, 2. trade Pau for nothing and 3. MWP has to opt out or we trade Nash for picks. Step 2 and 3 could be pulled off but theere's no way we cut Kobe. LA would go up in flames.

@ TPE for Pau: Correct me if I'm wrong but you can only use a TPE to trade for a player, not sign FA's

0% chance of happening if you ask me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast