Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 off-season thread

Break it up?
    Last edited by B'sCeltsPatsSox; 05-03-2013 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Break it i=up
    It's a process that should have happened 2 yrs ago. The celtics window pretty much closed when Shaq went down.

Now? Rebuilding will take much longer. PP has much less value, Allen who was once an asset who is obviously gone and the team has pretty lucrative deals signed into ageing or under achieving role guys (Terry/Lee).

The celtics imo havn't cared about building a true contender for the past few yrs...They were 100% happy with 50+ wins and a couple rounds of playoffs knowing full well this team prob wasn't truely winning #17..But Ainge wanted to keep his job and Wyc was likeing the $$.

vCash
    You can build a team by:

1. Drafting
    2. Free Agents
    3. Trades

This team has never built primarily by free agents.

The Celts have been built in the past by trades and the draft. Problem is, we have very little that is of real value in trade because it's past expiration date.

Fact is that Ainge and the owners plan failed. The Celts have already became the 4th banana franchise in this city - by a wide margin - and we haven't even started to rebuild in earnest, and we have no real resources to work with in trade.

So, we are looking at middle class hell for about two years (that is out of the playoffs, but not top choices in the lottery). Followed by some years as a lottery team.

Ainge and Doc will both be long gone before this team plays in its next Finals. If Wyc and company think the Celts are not performing well financially now, wait about 3-4 years, they'll be in for a rude shock.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    It's a process that should have happened 2 yrs ago. The celtics window pretty much closed when Shaq went down.

Now? Rebuilding will take much longer. PP has much less value, Allen who was once an asset who is obviously gone and the team has pretty lucrative deals signed into ageing or under achieving role guys (Terry/Lee).

The celtics imo havn't cared about building a true contender for the past few yrs...They were 100% happy with 50+ wins and a couple rounds of playoffs knowing full well this team prob wasn't truely winning #17..But Ainge wanted to keep his job and Wyc was likeing the $$.

We were 1 game away from the finals last year, I don't understand why you are complaining about that.

This year rondo went down, that's not anyone's fault.

vCash
    Talked to some close to Paul, they are certain he's played his last game as a Celtic. Their quote, all good things must come to an end
    -Greg Dickerson
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2012

vCash
    Paul Pierce deserves praise, but I think it's time for him to go. Then Jeff Green can either elevate his game and take his place, or fizzle out. Boston might be able to get one or two quality young players for Pierce, who a team without a closer/go-to guy might be wanting since his contract expires after next season.

They should keep KG for his defense and presence on the floor, but try to nab Demarcus Cousins somehow. Boston just needs more consistent players. Guys like Terry can go off one night and not do much most nights. Everyone else (especially Bass and Lee) is expendable. Does Boston have any cap room?

Who the best in the league? You tell me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEnNB4aSRs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Paul Pierce deserves praise, but I think it's time for him to go. Then Jeff Green can either elevate his game and take his place, or fizzle out. Boston might be able to get one or two quality young players for Pierce, who a team without a closer/go-to guy might be wanting since his contract expires after next season.

They should keep KG for his defense and presence on the floor, but try to nab Demarcus Cousins somehow. Boston just needs more consistent players. Guys like Terry can go off one night and not do much most nights. Everyone else (especially Bass and Lee) is expendable. Does Boston have any cap room?
    No cap room.

vCash
    If KG/Paul are gone Id trade Green and probably Rondo along with them.
    Green's value skyrocketed 2nd half of the year but I can't see him doing it as the man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    Green's value skyrocketed 2nd half of the year but I can't see him doing it as the man
    I would too, but would ownership allow that? Probably not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    I would too, but would ownership allow that? Probably not.

vCash
    1) Pierce has stated he wants to play next season.

2) KG is fiercely loyal and a man of his word. He is signed for 1 more year with an option for a second. Unless physically unable to play he will honor that contract.

3) That places the onus on DAnny. Does he even consider amnestying Pierce or trading him away from the Celtics? With amnesty available I don't think the buyout is even in play.

4) Rondo, Bass, Green and Terry are all signed for 2 more seasons. Green w/ an option for an additional year.

5) Bradley and Crawford are signed for 2 more years with a qualifying offer on the second year.

6) Sullinger and Melo are signed with qualifying offers through 2016-17

7) Williams, Randolph, White all have varying degrees of guarantees for next season.

8) DAnny propped the window open for next season and with qualifying offers / options possibly through 2014-15.

9) Wilcox is the only expiring contract and I have to think he burnt bridges when refusing the trade. Team didn't want him and he forced them to trade away Collins, a player they evidently did want.

10) Draft pick takes Wilcox's roster spot to bring roster back to 15.

11) I don't know if White will stick, but I bet Williams and Randolph do.

12) There does not exist much salary cap flexibility with the current roster.

13) Packaging players to upgrade one position is not much of an option either. They have to return near equal salary meaning a trade would likely have to send out more players than brought in return creating more vet minimum openings at the bottom of the roster. Could work as both Collins and Barbosa have indicated interest in returning...., but really?

14) Crawford.... not sure they want to keep him because he will be a pain in the ***** if he's not starting or 6h man, but who would take him and what else would the C's have to give up to rid themselves of him?

15) Window is propped open fellas. I'm betting not a lot is done in the offseason and the C's will bank on keeping everyone healthy and making a run again next season. Sorry, but the C's have no cap flexibility and have a roster with numerous "2 year contracts". The turnover / rebuild is set to begin in earnest after 2013-14, in 2014/15 when all those expiring contracts become valuable on the trade market or after that season when they have all expired.

16) Best hope for next season is that Pierce will accept a reduced role as KG has, they hit on a talented big man who can defend, rebound and score a little in the draft and everyone avoids season-ending injuries.

17)

Rondo / Williams
    Bradley / Terry / Crawford
    Green / Pierce / Lee
    Bass or Sullinger / Randolph
    KG / Draft Pick / Melo

Throw in Collins or Barbosa... or another vet minimum for PG or Post positions.

18) Gorgui Dieng is my preference at #16. He's the most ready from a group of big men that could include Adams, Saric, Gobert, Noguiera, Withey. Had hoped Olynyk would be available but his stock is rising and he looks to go between 8-12 at this point. Plumlee might slip to 16, but I would still take Dieng.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 05-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    IMO other than the major personal decisions of Pierce and KG, nothing else major will really happen...

Rondo will be back which IMO means Green will definitely not be moved because that possibly looks like the future tandem for the C's... Throw in Sully coming back and AB getting a full off-season to work on his offense...

I don't see Bass's contract as a major problem...

Wouldn't shed a tear if Lee and/or Terry are moved... (Hopefully for some future picks and maybe a 2nd for this year)...

IMO I think Crawford and Williams can be cheap replacements for both of them...

I'm ready for some better draft picks in the coming years...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Lee has to go. Way too much $$$$ for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    Lee has to go. Way too much $$$$ for him.
    I think the money is right for him but I think he will suit another team much better in a starting role... He won't fit in Boston getting limited reserve minutes behind AB and Rondo...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I think the money is right for him but I think he will suit another team much better in a starting role... He won't fit in Boston getting limited reserve minutes behind AB and Rondo...
    The money isn't right if he's going to play how he played this year. He was solid defensely but offensively, he really struggled.

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast