Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Matt Flynn is 'presumed starter,' Raiders GM says

NFL teams always want to give off the appearance of competition for starting jobs. In reality, though, observers only have to follow the money trail to predict the outcome.

Oakland Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie stated a month ago that Matt Flynn only would have the opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job despite his $6.5 million in guarantees for 2013.

A more realistic McKenzie has now acknowledged to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport that Flynn is going into the offseason as the "presumed starter."

The organization reportedly remains skeptical that Terrelle Pryor is ready to push for the starting role.

Although fourth-rounder Tyler Wilson is an intriguing prospect for a team without a proven starter, McKenzie concedes that the rookie will start out "at the bottom until he can maneuver his way up by his play."

It sounds like Flynn will garner the majority of the reps throughout the offseason and into training camp. He's the heavy favorite to start the season opener. If Flynn stumbles as he did last summer, though, it won't be a shock to see Wilson under center against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 1.

Link.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...aiders-gm-says

I would rather hear "may the best man win". I don't think Flynn has earned anything. If Pryor brings it best, start him. If it is Flynn, start him.

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    This is just a journalist trying to make news out of nothing.

Everyone knows that the most experienced and/or successful QB starts the offseason/camp activities as the starter.

Flynn has more experience and success in the NFL than both of our other QB's combined.

Once camp gets going, the "cream will rise to the top."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post

Everyone knows that the most experienced and/or successful QB starts the offseason/camp activities as the starter.

Flynn has more experience and success in the NFL than both of our other QB's combined.

you call 2 games Flynn played experience? just asking

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanBL9 View Post
    Yes Flynn does have more NFL experience then the other two QB's. Yes Flynn has only started 2 NFL games, but that doesn't take into account all the preseason games he has played in as well. So in terms of seeing playing time on the field yes Flynn does have more experience then the other twol QB's.

vCash
    Flynn could always lose the job, has happened before. Nothing has happened yet, so of course a rookie will start at the bottom, and the person with 2 starts will be ahead of the person with 1 and 0. Nothing has been said about who is the starter week 1, just heading into camp.

vCash
    Flynn sat behind Rodgers, and lost out to Wilson. While that may not seem like tons of experience, it is...

Most QB's need a few years on the bench to really grasp the speed of the game. Even the guys that come out firing their rookie year, still need 2-3 more before their game really progresses. I for one appreciate a QB that has multiple years on the bench like Flynn, and would've preferred Pryor to sit behind CP for a few years but that was not best for the team.

The good thing is, we have competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Flynn sat behind Rodgers, and lost out to Wilson. While that may not seem like tons of experience, it is...

Most QB's need a few years on the bench to really grasp the speed of the game. Even the guys that come out firing their rookie year, still need 2-3 more before their game really progresses. I for one appreciate a QB that has multiple years on the bench like Flynn, and would've preferred Pryor to sit behind CP for a few years but that was not best for the team.

The good thing is, we have competition.

Looking forward to the OTA's and training camp. I can't remember the last time the QB position was so wide open. Al Davis always had his favorites, so the suspense of whether Jeff Garcia was ever going to beat out JaMarcus Russell was pretty unremarkable. The competition isn't rigged, it could be anyone. I am looking forward to it.

vCash
    Well, Flynn has more NFL experience in the amount of years, going through all the OTA's, preseason games, etc. He has held the clipboard for Rodgers and Wilson, and has watched from the sidelines more than Pryor and Wilson. Things like these can't be overlooked.

vCash
    We really have to back off and give Matt Flynn a fair shot. I think this guy can prove himself as a winning qb. That fact that he was replaced by a rookie means nothing when you consider that it was no ordinary rookie, but the Rookie Of The Year. That's not anything to be ashamed of.

He was drafted by the Packers, hired by Pete Carroll at Seattle, now by Reggie. Let's face it, these guys know talent, maybe especially qb talent. If he's good enough for Carroll to hire and project as a starter, then he's good enough to deserve a shot here.

Just my opinion of course.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanBL9 View Post
    Yes, I do. He's been in the league for 5 years. That's 5 years of NFL Coaching, learning NFL offenses, and adjusting to NFL speed. He has played in 20 NFL pre-season games. And even though he's started only two games, that's still more than both of our QB's combined, with a whole lot of production. So yes, he is BY FAR the most experienced and "proven" of our 3 QB's, which is why he is "starting" to open up the off-season.

vCash
    100% Big Guy

vCash
    What the starter thread isn`t good enough? Therefore start another starter thread lol ( brilliant ).

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...aiders-Will-Be

Everyone wants a smart team but no one wants to get smarter.

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 05-03-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Reggie got played in a New York Minute

vCash
    i would also presume him to be the starter with the amount he's getting paid. anything can happen from this time to the beginning of the season.

vCash

Right on the money ,and if Allen don't follow the points you just made he will pay the price. The key words in R.M.'s statements is presumed starter that is the same title he had in Seattle ,and we all know how that turned out. Flynn will have to earn the starting job in Oakland no matter what you hear from the media.
    Eat to live don't live to eat.

vCash
    Yes, I do. He's been in the league for 5 years. That's 5 years of NFL Coaching, learning NFL offenses, and adjusting to NFL speed. He has played in 20 NFL pre-season games. And even though he's started only two games, that's still more than both of our QB's combined, with a whole lot of production. So yes, he is BY FAR the most experienced and "proven" of our 3 QB's, which is why he is "starting" to open up the off-season.
    I agree. I would like to see Pryor succeed but I don't care who is behind center as long as they are good. If Flynn turns is the man I am all for it. He has the ability so let's see it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast