Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is BC good at drafting?

This might be a stupid thread but i'm very bored. Anyone here think that BC is overrated on his drafting ability? He seems to pick good players at the positions he has been given but often fails to make any draft day trades. Moving up a spot or two in the last couple of drafts could have made a tremendous difference. (ex: Last draft, he said that teams wanted too much to move up. I'm sure it depends on who he was dealing with. I imagine that we could have traded with Kings for their 5th pick by not giving them much in return, since they obviously weren't that interested in Robinson. We could have got Lillard in return. (granted- i'm sure four other teams ahead of Portland would have picked him if they knew how good he would be. But still, shouldn't a exceptional talent evaluator GM know this?

I don't know. I realize that BC is actually decent at drafting players at the spots he gets. But he never trades up in the draft, and this seems rather strange since trading up is such a common thing. Especially when you have GM's who aren't sold on any one individual player, or are willing to trade a couple of spots up since they know their number one option would still be available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo400 View Post
    This might be a stupid thread but i'm very bored. Anyone here think that BC is overrated on his drafting ability? He seems to pick good players at the positions he has been given but often fails to make any draft day trades. Moving up a spot or two in the last couple of drafts could have made a tremendous difference. (ex: Last draft, he said that teams wanted too much to move up. I'm sure it depends on who he was dealing with. I imagine that we could have traded with Kings for their 5th pick by not giving them much in return, since they obviously weren't that interested in Robinson. We could have got Lillard in return. (granted- i'm sure four other teams ahead of Portland would have picked him if they knew how good he would be. But still, shouldn't a exceptional talent evaluator GM know this?

I don't know. I realize that BC is actually decent at drafting players at the spots he gets. But he never trades up in the draft, and this seems rather strange since trading up is such a common thing. Especially when you have GM's who aren't sold on any one individual player, or are willing to trade a couple of spots up since they know their number one option would still be available.
    I have wondered if its him or the ability to spend resources on the draft/ Good scouts and talent evaluators. Is it him, hard to say unless you are in the inner circle.

I for sure don't like the how easily he gives up 2nd rounders in trades. That second he gave up with Hadaddi for telfair is mind blowing to me. The only way that could ever make sense is if BC didn't trust Lowry enough to finish the current season.
    Last edited by deaner; 05-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.

vCash
    He drafted Jonas and was critisized for a year about his choice to draft Jonas as #5 and people wanted to burn him at the stake for not picking Brandon Knight so I'm going to say yes he's good at drafting (I'll say that for now until I see how Ross pans out since it's too early to judge this kid now because I think everyone in the Raptors forum would have picked Drummond).

Who knows if he could have really drafted down for Lillard to be honest depends if we got what other teams want and for your example of the Kings I'm not sure what we would have to offer them except for bargs... lol

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    He drafted Jonas and was critisized for a year about his choice to draft Jonas as #5 and people wanted to burn him at the stake for not picking Brandon Knight so I'm going to say yes he's good at drafting (I'll say that for now until I see how Ross pans out since it's too early to judge this kid now because I think everyone in the Raptors forum would have picked Drummond).

Who knows if he could have really drafted down for Lillard to be honest depends if we got what other teams want and for your example of the Kings I'm not sure what we would have to offer them except for bargs... lol
    I think he knows the Ross/Drummond pick was a mistake. It was about enabling your coach to develop HIS team. Just another reason I don't like Casey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    I have wondered if its him or the ability to spend resources on the draft/ Good scouts and talent evaluators. Is it him, hard to say unless you are in the inner circle.
    Good point. But, I don't think it's always about money. A good GM can pick good scouts because he knows how to evaluate their talent properly. Of course financial issues come into play as well though.

I for sure don't like the how easily he gives up 2nd rounders in trades. That second he gave up with Hadaddi for telfair is mind blowing to me. The only way that could ever make sense is if BC didn't trust Lowry enough to finish the current season.
    Yeah, Haddadi could have been a solid back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post

True, we don't really know what other teams wanted. When he mentioned that other teams were asking for too much (he could have been alluding to Bargnani) I don't even want to think about that lol

I think he knows the Ross/Drummond pick was a mistake. It was about enabling your coach to develop HIS team. Just another reason I don't like Casey.
    I don't mind him passing up Drummond. I mean the guy went from a projected number 1 pick to 9th. Plenty of other teams GM'S weren't very high on him.
    Last edited by kenzo400; 05-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.

vCash
    I didn't have much of a problem with him drafting Ross.

However I do see a problem with burying him on the bench. If you can't develop this kid and give him consistent playing time what's the point in keeping him?

Package him with bargnani a for a worth while return. or simply start playing him a lot more, instead of playing Anderson soo dam much.

vCash

I for sure don't like the how easily he gives up 2nd rounders in trades. That second he gave up with Hadaddi for telfair is mind blowing to me. The only way that could ever make sense is if BC has a trade that will be made before June 30th that drove that decision. Even then, I'd have to calculate what benefit if any dealing Hadaddi made on an end of year Gasol deal.

I don't think he has had too much luck in landing solid players with 2nd round picks, and I also think he hopes this team will be a playoff team next year. If so, then our second round pick would be very low, and probably not worth very much to us or anyone else.

As far as "is he a good drafter"....lets think about this...

2006: well documented....don't really need to

2007: we didn't have a first rounder, but that wasn't BC's fault as it was traded in 2004. He traded our 2008 2nd rounder to SA for Printezis....a pick they landed Goran Dragic with...so in hidsight, a bad trade. He also traded 2009 and 2011 2nd round picks to Detroit for Carlos Delfino. Detroit used the 2009 pick for Jonas Jerebko (passing on Marcus Thornton and Danny Green), and in 2011 they got Kyle Singler (passing on Chandler Parsons)

2008: drafts Roy Hibbert, and then trades him (TJ Ford ,Rasho and Maceo Baston) to IND for Jermaine O'Neal .....in hindsight, an absolutely terrible trade for the Toronto franchise.

2009: drafts Demar Derozan with the 9th overall selection (passing on PG's Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday and Ty Lawson.) Then trades a future 1st and the 2010 2nd round pick to get Shawn Marion...

In 2010: drafts Ed Davis 13th overall ( passing on Patrick Patterson, Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe) Then trades a conditional 2013 second round draft pick to Miami for Soloman Alabi.

In 2011: draft jonas Valanciunas at #5

In 2012: drafts Terrance Ross at #8, passing on Drummond, and Quincy Acy

I would say BC has drafted pretty well over the last 5 drafts, but he is better off staying away from draft day trades because he hasn't made a good one since he got here. Sure I would rather have Larry Sanders as a defensive anchor than Ed Davis, and it looks like Jrue Holiday may be the stud PG we have been wishing for, but he isn't drafting duds like this franchise did a decade ago when they failed totally from 2001->2005 (and yes, I consider taking Bosh over Wade a total failure)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I didn't have much of a problem with him drafting Ross.

However I do see a problem with burying him on the bench. If you can't develop this kid and give him consistent playing time what's the point in keeping him?

Package him with bargnani a for a worth while return. or simply start playing him a lot more, instead of playing Anderson soo dam much.
    The problem is the coaching. Ross will never develop unless you involve him in actual offensive plays. He is s spot up shooter and he needs to be set up. Of course he is going to be inconsistent when he is just hoping to get free looks off fast breaks.

I agree about Anderson. I'm sure Ross can be just as inefficient as Anderson, so I see no point of keeping him.

vCash
    I think the only draft pick B.C really blew on was Bargs.

Dero,Davis,Jonas were all fine picks, considering where we picked them at.

vCash
    The derozan pick was good (we needed a sg badly)
    Jonas was great
    Andrea horrible
    Ed decent
    Ross...too early

vCash
    The problem is the coaching. Ross will never develop unless you involve him in actual offensive plays. He is s spot up shooter and he needs to be set up. Of course he is going to be inconsistent when he is just hoping to get free looks off fast breaks.

I agree about Anderson. I'm sure Ross can be just as inefficient as Anderson, so I see no point of keeping him.
    completely agree, Anderson is a min salary journey man. Ross can actually be something special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think the only draft pick B.C really blew on was Bargs.

Dero,Davis,Jonas were all fine picks, considering where we picked them at.
    I don't think Barg's was even a bad pick. It was the fact that we already had Bosh. The team was doomed to fail when your main two guys are sticks, and one cannot even play the PF role on defence.

vCash
    if we picked rondo instead of bargnani our team would look completely different today. I remember him working out for us and we gave him strong consideration at the time. But b.c had his heart set on bargnani I guess.

That's the only draft I really have big regrets about in b.c's years here.

vCash
    I don't think Barg's was even a bad pick. It was the fact that we already had Bosh. The team was doomed to fail when your main two guys are sticks, and one cannot even play the PF role on defence.
    it really was a bad pick. B.C had tunnel vision in that draft year. It seemed he wanted this big 7foot Italian player despite whoever else was available. He picked by need instead of BPA.

Most rookies are sticks coming in to the league. For example you look at Jonas and clearly he still needs to grow in to his body.

plus I wanted rondo in that draft. I remember him being impressive but I guess it was a risk to take him first overall at the time.

vCash
    he gets good talent at the positions he drafts but you can question what he looks for, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast