Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ranking the contract-extension priorities

After the next season many players will be free agents. After Rodgers' and Matthew's contract extention who is the next most important player who needs an extension?

Here are the players:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith
    CB Sam Shields
    DL BJ Raji
    DL Mike Neal
    DL CJ Wilson
    DL Ryan Pickett
    DL Johnny Jolly
    FB John Kuhn
    LB Rob Francois
    LB Jamari Lattimore
    QB Graham Harrell
    RB James Starks
    S Morgan Burnett
    T Marshall Newhouse
    TE Jermichael Finley
    TE Matthew Mulligan
    WR James Jones

Here's also an article about that topic.
    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/ranking...medium=twitter

vCash
    3 way tie (Shields, Raji, Burnett)

vCash
    shields
    burnett
    raji
    Neal
    EDS
    Jones
    Finley
    the rest

vCash
    Raji
    Burnett
    Shields
    Jones
    Finley

Everyone else

vCash
    Burnett Shields Raji Neal Jones Finley EDS

vCash
    Shields
    Raji
    Burnett
    Jones
    EDS
    Finley
    Neal
    Wilson
    Jolly
    Newhouse

Replaceable ...
    DL Ryan Pickett
    FB John Kuhn
    LB Rob Francois
    LB Jamari Lattimore
    QB Graham Harrell
    RB James Starks
    TE Matthew Mulligan
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    After the next season many players will be free agents. After Rodgers' and Matthew's contract extention who is the next most important player who needs an extension?

Here are the players:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith
    CB Sam Shields 3
    DL BJ Raji 1
    DL Mike Neal
    DL CJ Wilson
    DL Ryan Pickett
    DL Johnny Jolly
    FB John Kuhn
    LB Rob Francois
    LB Jamari Lattimore
    QB Graham Harrell
    RB James Starks
    S Morgan Burnett 2
    T Marshall Newhouse
    TE Jermichael Finley
    TE Matthew Mulligan
    WR James Jones 4

Here's also an article about that topic.
    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/ranking...medium=twitter
    Those are the only 4 I'd be considering at this point. I'd say Burnett ahead of Shields mainly for the fact that without Burnett we have nothing at S and at that point it won't matter whose at CB. Shields as I have started before, have concerns about once he gets the money.

vCash
    C Evan Dietrich-Smith
    CB Sam Shields
    DL BJ Raji
    DL Mike Neal
    DL CJ Wilson
    DL Ryan Pickett
    S Morgan Burnett
    T Marshall Newhouse
    TE Jermichael Finley
    WR James Jones

The ones in bold are the ones i want resigned the most. Don't really care what order.

Finley i want resigned if he will be affordable and has a good season.

Pickett for the vet min but i could see him being let go.

Newhouse on a cheap deal. He is solid depth with some starting experience. Same thing goes for Wilson as well.

EDS i would like to see resigned if he indeed wins the starting job and plays well.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    big cheese!!! everything u bolded and then said mirrors how i feel about all of these guys. you is smart.
    the packers have so much talent...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    big cheese!!! everything u bolded and then said mirrors how i feel about all of these guys. you is smart.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    I'd guess all of them. Ted doesn't ever let his draft picks go. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

vCash
    C Evan Dietrich-Smith
    CB Sam Shields
    DL BJ Raji
    DL Mike Neal
    DL CJ Wilson
    DL Ryan Pickett
    DL Johnny Jolly
    FB John Kuhn
    LB Rob Francois
    LB Jamari Lattimore
    QB Graham Harrell
    RB James Starks
    S Morgan Burnett
    T Marshall Newhouse
    TE Jermichael Finley
    TE Matthew Mulligan
    WR James Jones

vCash
    clearly harrell
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Now in which order do we actually think they will get their contracts?

I'm thinking we will hear the Packers and Burnett are talking next. I'd think they feel the sooner they lock him up the better(And cheaper).

I also believe that is their reasoning for discussing a contract with Shields already. Both those contracts could inflate rapidly with another good year. Shields already drastically went up last year.

Raji I kind of believe they should wait till the end of the season. He has been so inconsistent and now they gave him another first rd talent to work with. So his snaps should be limited with Neal and Jones taking a lot of snaps when there is only 2 down lineman. Either he will perform much better or continue to be inconsistent. I personally believe what he will be asking will be too much. Kind of a guess but I think he is going to overvalue himself. The national media kind of quieted down on it but he was being put in the same discussion as Rodgers and Matthews. Not good and you know him and his agent were listening.

I think Jones will want to hit Free Agency again and get a second chance after basically being ignored last time. This is his last chance for a big contract and I honestly believe he will take it wherever he can get it which I don't believe will be in Green Bay. I guess it all depends on the market but my guess is he won't be back in GB in 2014.

Neal is kind of in the same boat as Raji. I think he has a very good chance of returning also. Could be great as a nickel/dime pass rusher. Was very good last year. If he stays healthy he should earn a good amount of money this season though. I'm expecting a big year from this guy. Hopefully nothing that drives his value through the roof though. Only way he isn't brought back is if a different team offers an insane amount. With his injury history I don't see it. GB will want him back.

EDS should be cheap. Most likely just let him play out the season and go from there. Now there is a lot of competition on the Oline and outside of LT his position will be the next one up for grabs.

Finley I have no clue. Obviously he plays out the season but I'm 50/50 if he should get another contract. I feel this is going to be a really good season for him. I don't think GB can handle losing both him and Jones so something will need to be done. If the market for Jones is high and Finley did play up to his standards I think you have to pay Finley.

Newhouse is very good depth and shouldn't be too expensive(Indy did pay Walden 4 mil per year). I'd rather have Newhouse backing up at tackle than Barclay that is for sure.

I guess I didn't really answer my own question. I guess I'm saying Burnett and Shields will get theirs before the season and the rest will have to wait till the season is over. The only exception IMO could be Neal. I just think they try signing the young players that don't have a REALLY high value yet. This could save them cap space in the long run. Never know because after this season one or all of those players could have their value tripled or worse with a great year. Burnett gets 8 INT he makes the pro bowl and widely becomes considered one of the best young safeties in the NFL. Shields performs just like last year gets 6-7 INT and shuts down WR's and teams will be all over him. That contract could get crazy. Neal starts racking up sacks.. 8-10 sacks and there could be a lot of teams bidding on his services as a specialty pass rusher. All those scenarios would be amazing and honestly not unreasonable but if they didn't get their contracts yet it could get ugly for the Packers Cap or defense if they lost one of them.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 05-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post

I think Jones will want to hit Free Agency again and get a second chance after basically being ignored last time. This is his last chance for a big contract and I honestly believe he will take it wherever he can get it which I don't believe will be in Green Bay. I guess it all depends on the market but my guess is he won't be back in GB in 2014.

I guess I didn't really answer my own question. I guess I'm saying Burnett and Shields will get theirs before the season and the rest will have to wait till the season is over. The only exception IMO could be Neal. I just think they try signing the young players that don't have a REALLY high value yet. This could save them cap space in the long run. Never know because after this season one or all of those players could have their value tripled or worse with a great year. Burnett gets 8 INT he makes the pro bowl and widely becomes considered one of the best young safeties in the NFL. Shields performs just like last year gets 6-7 INT and shuts down WR's and teams will be all over him. That contract could get crazy. Neal starts racking up sacks.. 8-10 sacks and there could be a lot of teams bidding on his services as a specialty pass rusher. All those scenarios would be amazing and honestly not unreasonable but if they didn't get their contracts yet it could get ugly for the Packers Cap or defense if they lost one of them.
    1. Do you know how many WR who are as good as Jones or even better will be free agents next year? I think this could be very important. If there are a lot of good WR his market value could sink. But if he's one of the best, some team who needs WRs (and I'm sure there will be one like every offseason) will pay him more than the Packers.

2. Is the bold part a worst or best case scenario?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast