Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How does this series play out?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Jays sweep

7 36.84%
  • Blue Jays take 2/3

5 26.32%
  • Red Sox take 2/3

4 21.05%
  • Red Sox sweep

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox vs Blue Jays: April 30-May 2

Boston Red Sox

VS

Toronto Blue Jays

Tuesday, April 30, 7:07 PM EDT, Rogers Centre

vs
    Jon Lester........Brandon Morrow
    4-0, 2.27 ERA..........0-2, 5.27 ERA

The lefty is off to a 4-0 start this season as he's enjoying his lowest walk, home run and hit rates of his career. Lester fired seven shutout innings against Toronto on April 7.

Morrow surrendered four runs on three hits and three walks during his last start against Baltimore. He carried a 5-2 lead into the seventh but was forced to take a no-decision after allowing two of the first three batters he faced to reach base.

Wednesday, May 1, 7:07 PM EDT, Rogers Centre

vs
    Clay Buchholz.........Mark Buehrle
    5-0, 1.19 ERA.........1-1, 6.35 ERA

The first five-win pitcher in the Majors this season, Buchholz is holding hitters to a .192 average. The righty has struck out more than a batter per inning while allowing just one home run.

Buehrle's first month in a Blue Jays uniform didn't exactly go as planned. Three of his five outings lasted 5 1/3 innings or fewer, with at least five earned runs. In his most recent start, he allowed five runs in 5 1/3 innings vs. the Yankees.

Thursday, May 2, 7:07 PM EDT, Rogers Centre

vs
    Ryan Dempster........J.A. Happ
    1-2, 3.30 ERA...........2-1 3.86

The 35-year-old righty has struck out at least seven batters in each of his first five starts with the Red Sox. The 16-year MLB veteran has never pitched in the Rogers Centre.

Happ held the Yankees to three runs on eight hits and two walks, while striking out five over six innings Saturday, but he did not factor into the decision in the Blue Jays' 5-4 loss.

Red Sox try to up streak; Blue Jays look to end skid

The Blue Jays will look to end a season-high four-game losing skid when the Red Sox come to town on Tuesday.

"It's a slow start. That goes without saying," said Toronto general manager Alex Anthopoulos. "We've had a few games that were blowouts, but we've been in so many games where, one way or another, things aren't breaking our way right now."

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Boston, which is off to its best start since 2002 and is coming off a four-game sweep of the Astros at Fenway Park.

"The fact is, we have three areas of the game where we're operating pretty well right now," Red Sox manager John Farrell. "We've had a very good offensive approach, even on nights where we've only scored a few runs. We've done a very good job of chasing a starting pitcher to get into the middle of the bullpen. Our starting pitching has been very consistent. I think we've played very good defensively."

Toronto will send Brandon Morrow to the mound to try and reverse his team's downward trend.

The Blue Jays' No. 2 pitcher was pitching superbly into the seventh in his last start on Wednesday against Baltimore, but Morrow was forced to take a no-decision after he and the bullpen allowed three runs in his final inning.

Toronto will face off against Boston ace Jon Lester, who shut down the Blue Jays over seven innings on April 7 and is looking for his fifth victory of the season to match teammate Clay Buchholz.

In his last start, Lester grinded through 5 2/3 innings against Oakland, walking six and allowing three runs, but he still managed to walk away with his fourth win.

"I wouldn't say I didn't have good stuff," said Lester. "I thought I had good stuff. Early on, it was a little bit of a battle, a lot of foul balls. It was big to get a win right there. The offense picked me up, coming back after that three-run inning to score three and tie it up. They kept doing a good job later after that to score some more runs."

Blue Jays: Romero sharp in Class A debut
    Left-hander Ricky Romero took the first step in his return to the Majors by tossing seven quality innings for Class A Dunedin on Saturday night.

Toronto's former ace had been held out of games until Friday as he worked through a series of mechanical adjustments on the mound with roving pitching instructor Dane Johnson at the club's Minor League complex in Dunedin, Fla.

"I don't know yet at this point," Anthopoulos said when asked what the next step for Romero is. "I want to speak to Dane and see what he feels. ... I'm really leaning on him to make the decisions on what he feels is best."

Toronto right-hander Sergio Santos has resumed throwing, but there's no timetable yet for his return.

Santos was placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month because of a minor right triceps strain. He was sent to the club's Minor League complex in Dunedin to work through the issue.

"We don't have a date yet [for his return], but as long as he doesn't have any setbacks, we expect to get him back as soon as we get him into a game and maybe get him a back-to-back appearance," Anthopoulos said.

Red Sox: Victorino dealing with inflammation
    Shane Victorino had an MRI that revealed inflammation in his lower back and is receiving treatment.

Victorino, who hasn't played since Wednesday, is improving, according to Farrell.

"We feel like, just in talking with [general manager Ben Cherington], when you start to get into more than half of what the 15-day-DL period would be, then you've really got to look at making a decision on a roster [spot] -- at that point, being able to [make the injury date retroactive]," said Farrell. "We're still a few days away from that."

Daniel Nava has a .407 on-base percentage, which ranks 11th in the American League. While he's always been a player who is going to earn at least one good pitch during an at-bat, Nava has gotten better at making pitchers pay for their mistakes.

"He's gained valuable experience at this level," Farrell said. "I'm sure it's given him confidence. He believes he can compete and contribute every day at this level."

Relievers Joel Hanrahan and Craig Breslow, both on the DL, are on the mend, and Hanrahan could be activated sometime during the team's series in Toronto.

Worth noting
    The Red Sox are 2-1 against the Blue Jays this year, with the only series taking place in Toronto during the first weekend of the season.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    hopefully being back home helps them win at least one game, but who knows pitching match ups dont seem to favour the them
    Sens Raps Jays

vCash
    The awful month for Jays ends today. I hope they shake off the bad mojo and get back to winning ways in May. I know Boston is hot, but I have a feeling Jays might win 2 of 3 here. They must! If we lose 2 out of 3, then that’s 10.5 games out of first place. Go Jays go!

vCash
    We sweep.

vCash
    I desperately want the Jays to sweep this, but man, I do not like those pitching match-ups.

My head says Sox take 2 of 3, my heart says a Jays sweep. Umm, go heart!

vCash
    Horrible month but one great way to start May would be a sweep.

vCash
    A sweep here is the only thing that can be deemed acceptable.... I have my doubts

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    A new day a new series. I think I needed that day off as much as the team did.

9. 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
    Reason
    Disruptive

vCash
    We will sweep. Have to start somewhere and this is as good as any.

vCash
    However we do, its nice to get back to the park and have some fun, cause this last week has been pretty much a downer.

vCash
    I think we win 2/3. I think he get absolutely dominated by buck holes

vCash
    Lester and Buckholz will be tough to beat. Hopefully we can get to them early and put a crooked number up to give the guys confidence and let them play loose..

vCash
    Thinking of going to a game this series. Debating whether to go tomorrow or Thursday. I think we have a better chance of winning on Thursday.

15. 04-30-2013, 03:25 PM
    Reason
    Disruptive

vCash
    We get swept. Just look at the pitching matchups.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    We get swept. Just look at the pitching matchups.
    First 2 games are tough. I think Thursday game is winnable. It is not like Dempster has been lights out. And Happ has been decent.

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast