Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What overall grade would you give the Giants 2010 Draft?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

0 0%
  • B

8 57.14%
  • C

6 42.86%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
  • Incomplete

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Time to Grade Another Giants Draft! .......the 2010 draft

We did this last year with the 2009 draft which got a C (and it may be time to revisit that one since Andre Brown is back). It's pretty funny that yesterday there were articles grading the Giants draft even though none of the players have seen an NFL field yet.

It takes 2-3 years to REALLY judge how well a draft went. So this year we'll grade the 2010 draft.

Here are the picks along with their analysis from the 2010 NFL.com page:

Round 1, Pick 15 (15) Jason Pierre-Paul DE 6'5" 270 South Florida
    Grade: 8.6
    Pick Analysis: The Giants add another talented pass rusher to their deep defensive line rotation with their selection of Jason Pierre-Paul. Although the South Florida standout is a little raw in some aspects of his game, he possesses outstanding first-step quickness and has an exceptional burst of the edge. Given the Giants' ability to develop young pass rushers, the addition of Pierre-Paul ensures that their stable will remain full for a long time to come.
    Round 2, Pick 14 (46) Linval Joseph DT 6'4" 328 East Carolina
    Grade: 7.8
    Pick Analysis: The Giants add a mammoth interior defender in Linval Joseph. The former East Carolina standout is a classic nose tackle with the strength and power to hold the point against single or double teams. Given the Giants' defensive woes last season, Joseph's presence in the middle should stop some of the leakage that plagued the unit.
    Round 3, Pick 12 (76) Chad Jones FS 6'2" 221 LSU
    Grade: 7.1
    Pick Analysis: The Giants addressed their dismal play at the free safety spot by adding Antrel Rolle during free agency, but the selection of Chad Jones is another attempt to upgrade the talent and depth at the position. The ultra-athletic Jones has outstanding size for the position, and flashes the potential to be a rangy ball hawk in the back end.
    Round 4, Pick 17 (115) Phillip Dillard LB 6'0" 245 Nebraska
    Grade: 3.9
    Pick Analysis: The Giants finally address their middle linebacker need with the selection of Phillip Dillard. The highly productive linebacker from Nebraska has good instincts, and is a tough, downhill player in the middle. He should compete for the starting job as a rookie.
    Round 5, Pick 16 (147) Mitch Petrus OG 6'3" 310 Arkansas
    Grade: 2.9
    Pick Analysis: The Giants pick up a strong interior blocker with the addition of Mitch Petrus. He was a top performer at the NFL Scouting Combine in the bench press, and his strength could help the Giants re-discover their power running game.
    Round 6, Pick 15 (184) Adrian Tracy DE 6'3" 248 William & Mary
    Grade 2.7

Pick Analysis: Another conversion prospect from the CAA. Arthur Moats went a few picks ago, and now Adrian Tracy goes to the Giants. Tracy is long, athletic and runs well. He lacks ability to stack the edge, however, and may not be strong enough to be a three-down player yet. That said, he has talent, and the ability to get to the quarterback.
    Round 7, Pick 14 (221) Matt Dodge P 6'1" 224 East Carolina
    Grade: 2.2
    Pick Analysis: The Giants finally inject some youth into the punter position. Last year, New York went with Jeff Feagles, the oldest player in the league. Feagles did not have a stellar campaign, and the versatile Dodge also has the potential to handle kickoff duties.

vCash
    1st - JPP A: He might need to redeem himself after last season, but this is a clear win on a 1st round pick.

2nd - Joseph A: Talent wise he might be a B, but as far as a pick; the Giants got their starting DT in the 2nd. Pretty solid.

3rd - Chad Jones Incomplete: Damn shame we'll never know how good he could be.

4th - Philip Dillard F: If you get a depth guy in the 4th its a C. But to get a guy who couldn't even stay on the team? Terrible. And notice that the analysis, from 3 years ago, says the Giants addressed their need at MLB.....which is still there.

5th - Mitch Petrus D-: Could be an F, but its not like they got no value out of him. He played some and is still kicking around the league.

6th - Adrian Tracy C: Really the grade should be TBD as it took us 3 years to figure out that the 3-4 OLB should be at DE. He could prove to be a better pick soon.

7th - Matt Dodge F-

Ok, so wins on the first 2 picks, which shouldn't be hard. Can't judge the 3rd pick, but easily could have been a win. 2 Fails, 1 subpar pick and 1 decent pick.

I think it's another C grade for me.

vCash

Time to Grade Another Giants Draft! .......the 2010 draft

The first two picks were great And the rest were awful. I think a C is fair.

vCash
    I said B because JPP was a phenomenal pick and Joseph has been very solid for us. But the rest of these guys really suck

vCash
    I think the frustrating part is that if Jones matured to a quality starter, this draft could be a B or an A.

vCash
    A- JPP if he gets back to his best year he's a hof type talent add in a should be slid 10 year starter at DT , both needs for us for the most part and JPP was also insurance with osi , DT b/c cofield and everyone leaving/left so on , 3 might have been great so that's what hurt the draft grade..

4-6 ehhh he gets a c- Tracy might do something and peters should contribute more on special teams but added depth and potential who have yet to pan out ..

Dillard and dodge out of nfl .. Dodge mentally though became a bust I think the last game ruined is belief in himself and def made us want him out lol

Overall 1st two picks were the As ..rest ehhhhhh in total B ..only bc how good JPP is and linval is a starter .

Jrs best draft for what they did the following season/playoffs is easily 07.

What I would of given the draft after the draft that day ? Mm idk I'm biased by now lol but chad jones I had high hopes for and was excited to get his talent on our team ... Would raise the grade adding a punter when we had an old guy and peters a lineman for depth whose played special teams an fb made me think its a b+ ...I don't recall who we passed on or much about that draft I didn't care that year I was busy for one thing and I dnt remember much I was in court I believe .

vCash
    Hindsight is 20/20, but here are some notable misses IMO:

Gronk, in a year we needed a TE
    Sean Lee and Angerer at LB, instead of Joseph. Joseph is awesome, but could have been a nice addition to a big area of need with Lee or Angerer.
    Chad Jones with Navorro Bowman on the board
    Phillip Dillard with Geno Atkins and Kam Chancellor on the board.

vCash
    Question: Should we factor in UDFAs? Cause that was the year they got Cruz.

vCash
    For me after the first 2 picks, it was a terrible draft. I had high hopes for Chad Jones, but you can't plan for that stuff.

Considering that JPP is arguably the best player in that draft, or easily top 5, the draft is almost a B for me, but I'll go C+. And I wouldn't count Cruz as part of the drafting class.

vCash
    For me after the first 2 picks, it was a terrible draft. I had high hopes for Chad Jones, but you can't plan for that stuff.

Considering that JPP is arguably the best player in that draft, or easily top 5, the draft is almost a B for me, but I'll go C+. And I wouldn't count Cruz as part of the drafting class.

vCash
    C+ for me. I'll leave it at that for now. Add my reason later

vCash
    I give it a B.

You have 2 studs for 10 years. Throw in Cruz and it's an A

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    I give it a B.

You have 2 studs for 10 years. Throw in Cruz and it's an A
    I was originally of the same mind, until I figured that hitting on your 1st and 2nd round picks should be a given for a good draft. Get some starters mid and late and THAT'S an A to me. Although its prob not fair to knock it down without Jones playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I was originally of the same mind, until I figured that hitting on your 1st and 2nd round picks should be a given for a good draft. Get some starters mid and late and THAT'S an A to me. Although its prob not fair to knock it down without Jones playing.
    There's hitting but how many 1st rounders turn out to be good let alone great? I see JPP and Joseph as pillars you build your team around. Look at the guys we were talking about drafting instead of JPP. Look at Austin compared to Joseph lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    There's hitting but how many 1st rounders turn out to be good let alone great? I see JPP and Joseph as pillars you build your team around. Look at the guys we were talking about drafting instead of JPP. Look at Austin compared to Joseph lol
    True, but in my mind a great draft worthy of an A is the 2007 draft. That should be the barometer for an A draft:
    Ross
    Smith
    Alford
    DeOssie
    Boss
    Koets
    Michael Johnson
    Bradshaw

Every single one of them contributed to the team at one point or another.

So when I look at 2010, no matter how good JPP and Joseph are, I see Dillard, Dodge, Petrus and I just can't see a great draft in there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast