Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Vontae Davis trade revisited

Mike Chappell with a quick word on the Vontae trade:

The outrage was immediate and, occasionally, over the top.

General manager Ryan Grigson, many insisted, had temporarily lost his mind. Send the Coltsí 2013 second- and fifth-round draft picks to the Miami Dolphins for enigmatic cornerback Vontae Davis?

Really?

Yes, really.

Grigsonís rationale at the time was Davis was a better player than the Colts would find with their second-round pick in this yearís draft, which was No. 54 overall. He was a 2009 first-round pick of the Dolphins who had appeared in 44 games, 36 as a starter. And as it turned out, the Colts recouped the fifth-rounder when Davis failed to meet play-time requirements.

After a slow start that in part was due to injuries, Davis rounded into a solid corner. He started 10 games and ranked third on the team with three interceptions.

To compare apples and apples, what did Miami do with the Coltsí second-round pick? They took Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor.

Taylor might develop into a Pro Bowl player. And he might not.

Given the choice, itís a no-brainer. Take the established veteran, especially when heís 24. The draft is risky enough as it is.

Of course, now itís incumbent upon Grigson to make certain Davis isnít a short-term addition. Davisí contract expires at the end of the season. If he plays at a high level, lock him up.

If the Colts determine Davis isnít worth a new contract or he doesnít merit one, then let the criticism begin anew.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsid...-vontae-davis/

Gotta agree with him.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Yes. Absolutely have to get him locked up long term for me to judge this a successful trade.

vCash
    At the time I didn't like the trade just because I felt that despite needing a CB, he wouldn't have made a difference and had we had a poor year last year our second rounder would have been a pretty high pick. However, our second rounder this year wasn't exactly a top 10 pick and Davis came around pretty good.

Again, if we lose him via FA the trade will be worthless, but I guess we have to see what happens.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. NeverĒ -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Vontae showed his worth after he overcame the early injuries. He is easily the best cover corner Indy has had since Big Play Ray.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    At the time I didn't like the trade just because I felt that despite needing a CB, he wouldn't have made a difference and had we had a poor year last year our second rounder would have been a pretty high pick. However, our second rounder this year wasn't exactly a top 10 pick and Davis came around pretty good.

Again, if we lose him via FA the trade will be worthless, but I guess we have to see what happens.
    Colts have almost as much cap space this next offseason as they did this offseason... and CB will probably be their biggest need, so I think re-signing him will be at the top of the priority list.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Vontae showed his worth after he overcame the early injuries. He is easily the best cover corner Indy has had since Big Play Ray.
    The way Vontae shut down Torrey Smith in the playoffs gives me hope. Too bad Boldin torched our #2 that game... forgot if that was Butler or Vaughn.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    The way Vontae shut down Torrey Smith in the playoffs gives me hope. Too bad Boldin torched our #2 that game... forgot if that was Butler or Vaughn.
    It was Vaughn first then Butler, iirc? Either way, a healthy Toler will be a huge upgrade as the #2CB. Butler was very good in the slot and Indy could do worse than having Vaughn as the #4 cb.

I would be shocked if Vontae wasn't signed long term prior to the season's end or right before UFA.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?