Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: UDFA Tracker

vCash

UDFA Tracker

Confirmed to be signing with the Panthers:

Robert Lester, S, Alabama (his twitter)
    Demario Jeffery, LB, South Carolina (agent's twitter)
    Taylor Cook, TE, Rice (Houston Chronicle Rice beat)
    Melvin White, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette (KLFY 10 in LA)
    Craig Roh, DE, Michigan (his twitter)
    Colby Cameron, QB, Louisiana Tech (LT Rivals site)
    Tori Mobley, OG, Jacksonville State (Ledger-Enquirer Sports)
    Trey Diller, WR, Sam Houston State (his facebook)
    Jesse Peterson, OT, Wheaton (his twitter)
    Michael Zordich, FB, Penn State (The Youngstown Vindicator [most badass paper name of all time])
    Bryan Jean-Pierre, DL, William & Mary (his twitter)
    Tyler Morgan, LS, Georgia Tech (Atlanta Urinal-Constipation)
    Wes Horton, DE, USC (Tony Pauline)
    Morgan Lineberry, K, Abilene Christian (AC RBs coach)
    Pete Kontodiakos, P, Colorado State (CSU football twitter)
    Eric Breitenstein, FB, Wofford (Wofford Athletics twitter) *minicamp tryout only
    Rob Jones, OG, ECU (his twitter) *minicamp tryout?

Looks like the Panthers were working the phones hard during the 7th round since they were pickless. Also looks like the Gettleman regime is going to be less secretive about the UDFA process than Hurney.
    Last edited by homestarunner93; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    CB depth

vCash
    Could be getting confirmation that you guys signed my cousin. Let me make sure first though.

The PSD's Mack-Donald's Crew (formerly the Sheldon Richardson Crew) Members: Raidaz4life, raiderposting, HunterNRoss, N. Cog Neato, RaiderKid318, theGhost-isGone, NYRaiderLove, raiderizer, weeman323, RaJAxTWa, laek, Wolfe-Raider, Shred003, themadstork

vCash
    This is probably close to the complete list when all is said and done. Obviously, the name that jumps off the page is Robert Lester. He will have a good shot to win a roster spot. Colby Cameron I think will probably be a PS guy this year. Taylor Cook is a possible PS guy as well since we lack TE depth and generally like to carry an extra one anyways, and with our light CB crop, you can't count out Melvin White to earn a roster or PS spot either. I'm really hopeful that Pete Kontodiakos will beat out Nortman for the punting job. He was actually quite a bit better this year than Nortman has ever been, CFB or pros. Lineberry is a pretty pedestrian kicker, only 6/10 this year in FGs, which is pretty disappointing because we could have used an UDFA that could have beaten or at least pushed Gano.

vCash
    I hope Lester can play free safety and take Nakamura's spot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    I was under the impression that Lester projects as a SS, not a FS. Godfrey likely to play FS anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I was under the impression that Lester projects as a SS, not a FS. Godfrey likely to play FS anyway.
    I believe this is correct, but our FS and SS designations are little more than names. The responsibilities are relatively similar.

vCash
    Just curious, but why is Godfrey going to FS? He's been at SS since like 09.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Just curious, but why is Godfrey going to FS? He's been at SS since like 09.
    1. So we don't get Nakamura'd again
    2. Michael Mitchell profiles better at SS
    3. So we don't get Nakamura'd again

vCash
    1. But how does moving Godfrey help that? There's still a hole at the other safety position.
    2. But does Godfrey project as a better/equal FS, because it doesn't make sense to move the better player based on a safety who probably won't be a starter after this season

I kind of wish our defense would allow Godfrey to move around I guess. I think he could be a top 15 safety in the right defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    1. But how does moving Godfrey help that? There's still a hole at the other safety position.
    2. But does Godfrey project as a better/equal FS, because it doesn't make sense to move the better player based on a safety who probably won't be a starter after this season

I kind of wish our defense would allow Godfrey to move around I guess. I think he could be a top 15 safety in the right defense.
    I've always thought Godfrey profiled better as a FS than a SS. On the occasions we do push the SS into the box (not too often), he seemed like he wasn't too comfortable there. I like him better in deeper coverage, and certainly more so than an obvious liability like Nakamura. I agree it would be cool if we could move Godfrey around more. I think he could be especially effective in a role like Charles Woodson played in GB the past couple of seasons as a slot CB/safety combo guy, but yeah, we don't really have the talent in the secondary to use him like that, nor will we have that sort of talent this season. We're a little handcuffed to that extent, but you do what you gotta do.

vCash
    All the depth charts out there now have them flip flopped at starting at the other position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    1. So we don't get Nakamura'd again
    2. Michael Mitchell profiles better at SS
    3. So we don't get Nakamura'd again
    4. Because Godfrey's a pretty good ball-hawk.

All the depth charts out there now have them flip flopped at starting at the other position.
    You know how meaningful depth charts are in April? Yeah...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Obviously, the name that jumps off the page is Robert Lester. He will have a good shot to win a roster spot.
    Yeah, that's the name that jumped out at me, too. I root for Damario, but he's got a tough, uphill struggle, and I doubt he'll make the cut. I saw some Penn St games this year (that offense they're running under O'Brien is great), and Zordich is a bruiser. Good blocker, and played some TB, too, in double-TE sets on power runs. Really good college player, long-shot in Charlotte.

vCash
    4. Because Godfrey's a pretty good ball-hawk.

You know how meaningful depth charts are in April? Yeah...
    I just want no part of being Nakamura'd again.