12 23.53%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NY Jets 2013 1st Round (#13) Pick: DT Sheldon Richardson

Sheldon Richardson
    6'2 - 294 lbs
    Missouri

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson’s first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback’s hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area

WEAKNESSES Richardson can struggle to break down and his upper-body strength is not elite, which means his high pad level and failure to use his hands to shed blocks can allow him to get turned from the hole and taken to the ground once off-balance. He had surgery in the offseason to repair a shoulder injury, so he must show his strength has improved. A better player in pursuit than he is holding the point against the run, where he can struggle to anchor. Drag down lunging tackler that misses ball carriers in space.

NFL COMPARISON Cullen Jenkins

BOTTOM LINE Richardson was forced to go the junior college route, then missed most of his sophomore year due to injury before attending his home state school in Columbia; he wasn’t a starter in 2011, but showed off the athleticism (eight tackles for loss, two sacks) to make scouts think 2012 could be a break-out year. He had a superb junior campaign, and his role grew extensively with Missouri using him in a variety of roles. With Richardson's incredible athleticism, he figures to be one of the top combine performers and will likely warrant a top-20 selection.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540142

vCash
    ConorTOrr 2m
    Interesting stat on Richardson: Almost half his "stops" came on third or fourth down this year. #nyj
    Interesting stat indeed..

vCash
    C'mon. I did not have too many strong opinions. All I wanted was a pick that didn't suck. They made a big time pick with Dee Milner, but this pick suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
    Last edited by DirtyJerZ; 04-25-2013 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    It depends on the defensive base the team is going to use. If the Jets are staying as a 3-4 base team, then this pick makes no sense to me. If the team is switching to a 4-3, then I really like this pick. Him and Wilkerson in the middle is a very strong pairing.

vCash
    I never would have picked this kid over Star. So now I just have to pray Rex and co's football knowledge makes me look like a dumb *** for that one. I have to look up more on him to be honest but I just wanted Jones or Star out of who was left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    C'mon. I did not have too many strong opinions. All I wanted was a pick that didn't suck. They made a big time pick with Dee Milner, but this pick suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
    Exactly how I feel. Head scratcher.

vCash
    I, personally, liked this pick more than Milliner's. Richardson is going to make some plays this year and I'm excited to watch him play.

vCash
    I honestly don't know what to think? Wow. Rex I'm counting on you son.

vCash
    Meh. We'll see what we got out of him when he hits the field, along with Milliner. Looking forward to round 2 tomorrow.

vCash
    Don't like this pick. We had other other needs that were more important to address. Would have been liked Jones, or Eifert among others with this pick. A defensive lineman in the first round 3 years in a row. Why? I liked Milliner pick though.

vCash
    Are we switching to a 4-3??? If not, why the **** dont you take Jones or Vaccaro here?? Ugh

vCash
    Hate this pick. Doesn't fit in the 3-4 so Star would've been better. If Jets were going 4-3, they could've taken Floyd!!! Safety is a glaring hole and Vaccaro could've been filed that need nicely. Pace & Barnes are the OLB's for now when they could've had Jarvis?? Ugh. Idzik blew this one IMO. How would they use Richardson with Wilk and Coples?? BUt I felt the same way on coples so I'll hold my peace on this pick until the end of next season.

vCash
    All of you guys (and there are a ton of you) that keep preaching BPA, you cannot complain. You got your wish. I can't count how many I've argued this point with and here's the classic reason why you don't simply and blindly subscribe to BPA. When your team has multiple needs and will have trouble fielding a team at some positions you cannot afford the luxury of going BPA. I'm not even mentioning backup depth at all LB positions but who's going to start at the following positions in game 1:

FS - Josh Bush
    OLB - Garrett McIntyre, Antwan Barnes
    OG - Vladimir Ducasse
    #1 TE - Jeff Cumberland

Those are some glaring weak links. Keep in mind we have a 2nd, 3rd & 4th remaining with our 5th pending a trade for a RB. If they go for a backup QB with one of those, that leaves two picks to find starters for the 5 iffy positions above and very little cap space for FA's. Of course Tebow will clear a little bit of room. This is the reality staring the Jets in the face by going BPA. Next year, once we have 50M of cap space to address needs, you will be in a much better position to go BPA. But this year? I don't think so. Maybe Idzik is tanking this year.

On the flip side, to have taken Jarvis Jones and Kenny Vacarro would've been considered reaches. Which pair would you rather have?
    Last edited by John X Doe; 04-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    All of you guys (and there are a ton of you) that keep preaching BPA, you cannot complain. You got your wish. I can't count how many I've argued this point with and here's the classic reason why you don't simply and blindly subscribe to BPA. When your team has multiple needs and will have trouble fielding a team at some positions you cannot afford the luxury of going BPA. I'm not even mentioning backup depth at all LB positions but who's going to start at the following positions in game 1:

FS - Josh Bush
    OLB - Garrett McIntyre, Antwan Barnes
    OG - Vladimir Ducasse
    #1 TE - Jeff Cumberland

Those are some glaring weak links. Keep in mind we have a 2nd, 3rd & 4th remaining with our 5th pending a trade for a RB. If they go for a backup QB with one of those, that leaves two picks to find starters for the 5 iffy positions above and very little cap space for FA's. Of course Tebow will clear a little bit of room. This is the reality staring the Jets in the face by going BPA. Next year, once we have 50M of cap space to address needs, you will be in a much better position to go BPA. But this year? I don't think so. Maybe Idzik is tanking this year.

On the flip side, to have taken Jarvis Jones and Kenny Vacarro would've been considered reaches. Which pair would you rather have?
    Kenny Veccaro. Best Safety in the draft and safety's a position of weakness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nate2usmc View Post
    Hate this pick. Doesn't fit in the 3-4 so Star would've been better. If Jets were going 4-3, they could've taken Floyd!!! Safety is a glaring hole and Vaccaro could've been filed that need nicely. Pace & Barnes are the OLB's for now when they could've had Jarvis?? Ugh. Idzik blew this one IMO. How would they use Richardson with Wilk and Coples?? BUt I felt the same way on coples so I'll hold my peace on this pick until the end of next season.
    The guy hasn't even put on the pads for the Jets and people are hating on this pick...unbelievable. Jarvis and Star had medical issues but so did our very first pick. But Milliner was a need pick. This pick is gonna surpise he has gap quickness the exact thing needed to put pressure on Tom Brady. The same type pressure the Giants used in two Super Bowl wins against Tom Brady. This draft philosophy is just like the Ginat take the best player on your board and find a way to utilize them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast