Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Playoffs Round 1: Boston vs. New York - Series thread

....-vs.-....

Games:
    1 Saturday, April 20 at 3 p.m. ET Madison Square Garden in New York City ABC
    2 Tuesday, April 23 at 8 p.m. ET Madison Square Garden in New York City TNT
    3 Friday, April 26 at 8 p.m. ET TD Garden in Boston ESPN
    4 Sunday, April 28 at 1 p.m. ET TD Garden in Boston ABC
    5* Wednesday, May 1 Madison Square Garden in New York City N/A
    6* Friday, May 3 TD Garden in Boston N/A
    7* Sunday, May 5 Madison Square Garden in New York City

* if necessary

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS:

Avery Bradley - Paul Pierce - Jeff Green - Brandon Bass - Kevin Garnett

Raymond Felton - Iman Shumpert - Carmelo Anthony - Kenyon Martin - Tyson Chandler

vCash
    I'm looking forward to seeing lots of honey nut Cheerios boxes floating around in the Garden.

Oh and I can't wait to see what the Cs do with game 3 being their first game at home since the marathon tradjedy.

As for the series itself, I see the Celtics winning this series is 5-6 games fairly easily. Chandler isn't healthy and the Knicks will get locked down with their 3pt shooting, because doc won't allow these guys to get great open looks.

I'm expecting to see a lot of of 1v1 looks for Melo as Doc will be content to let Carmelo "get his" while he focuses the D on the perimeter against players like Felton, JR, Kidd and Novak.

The Knicks will win at least one game with just ridiculous lights out 3pt shooting, but Carmelo will lose his team at least one game this series because he thinks he's the man out there since he just won the scoring title. I'm expecting Carmelo to take 25+ shots a game and average around 30-35ppg.

If Tyson Chandler can be a force down low with Felton on the Pick n Roll, then this whole series could swing in the Knicks favor, but until I see it, I'm not all that worried about it.

My prediction: Celtics in 6, and game 6 will be a blowout in favor of the Cs
    Last edited by Celticsfan2007; 04-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Possibly in 5 games? I highly doubt it, just don't see it. I expect them to win but I think it takes 7 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky. View Post
    Possibly in 5 games? I highly doubt it, just don't see it. I expect them to win but I think it takes 7 games.
    I've watched a ton of NYK and BKN basketball being I live in CT and get both NY and BOS local broadcasts, the NYKs had a great regular season and finished really strong with that winning streak but it was against a ton of teams either out of the playoff race or resting key starters down the stretch. The NYK a basically a glorified 3pt shooting team, but when there 3pt shot isn't dropping they are extremely beatable. Once they start missing, it typically turns into the Melo show, which I think works into the Celtics favor.

Doc and the Cs have seen teams like this before, and there type of style plays right into the strengths of the Cs defense. We have plenty of good defenders to combat Melo (pierce, green or KG) and hold their own. If Pierce and Green can make Melo work hard on D this team takes on a whole different dimension.

5 games might be a bit far fetched, but I'd be more inclined to say the celtics win in 5 than to say the Knicks could win this series in 5. This teams got too much heart to bow out without a huge fight
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Knicks in 6.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    game 1 is big
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant
    "You don't want Rondo? Send him my way," Kobe declared. "I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That's what makes championship players.

vCash
    Celtics must win game #1 or game #2. Having said that, I think they will. The NBA is about match ups. It always has been to some degree. I have watched both teams a lot this. I think the Celtics match up very well against the Knicks, sorry I do.

The regular season doesn't count. A proven team like the Celtics just want to get in. I think for the past month the Celtics were eyeing a Knicks match up. Reason #1- They stay out of the Heat side. Hope to see them in the ECF. Reason #2- The Celtics think Knicks are easy match up other than Pacers, Heat.

I think there is a method to Doc, DAnny madness.

Celtics win 6 games.

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Good lucky guys! This will be a hard fought, exciting series.
    My team, my city.

vCash
    Knicks in 5. It's crazy that you guys think just because the jerseys are still the same then the teams must be the same. This aint boston of two years ago, it aint even boston of last year. The two people who clearly ALWAYS killed those other knicks teams in Rondo and Ray Allen is replaced with Jason Terry and J Crawford and you guys feel good???? This aint the 2010 Knicks man. It's not a hurt Billups and Amare. It's not Toney Douglas,Shawnie Williams,Landry Fields,Anthony Carter, Jared Jeffries, Ronnie Turiaf over hear now. If yall think it's just Melo thats gonna go off on you guys, yall are in for a surprise.

KNOW THIS -- Boston will be LUCKY to make it out of APRIL in these playoffs
    KNICC UP OR GRIP UP

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post
    Knicks in 5. It's crazy that you guys think just because the jerseys are still the same then the teams must be the same. This aint boston of two years ago, it aint even boston of last year. The two people who clearly ALWAYS killed those other knicks teams in Rondo and Ray Allen is replaced with Jason Terry and J Crawford and you guys feel good???? This aint the 2010 Knicks man. It's not a hurt Billups and Amare. It's not Toney Douglas,Shawnie Williams,Landry Fields,Anthony Carter, Jared Jeffries, Ronnie Turiaf over hear now. If yall think it's just Melo thats gonna go off on you guys, yall are in for a surprise.

KNICC UP OR GRIP UP
    k dork

i disagree, team still has key components in doc, KG, paul and they have a way of raising the intensity of players around them and finding another level come playoffs. i understand that your senses are a little out of sorts since as a knick fan postseason is quite unfamiliar. im not guaranteeing celts win the series, but i like there chances and i can tell you this is far from your typical 7 seeded team.
    Last edited by Rain City; 04-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post

KNICC UP OR GRIP UP

So basically you're saying we're lucky if we don't get swept? Okay...

vCash
    Good luck guys. Pierce and kg as much as I hate them still got it. Jr smith is the X factor IMO.. Btw chandler is feeling great he said, he is perfectly fine.
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    This is a defining series for the Knick as well as the Celtics. I got a lot of Respect for the C's because they have deep playoff experience and Doc Rivers is a great HC. If the Knicks can win this series it will be a major hurdle in becoming a legitimate contender.

Being a Knick fan I want them to win the series but the regular season is all I have to go on....the playoffs is a character test and Knicks have not yet been able to get to the level of the Celtics in the playoffs.

I'm hoping we can get to that level in this series.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Synergy take on the series:
    ===NO. 2 NEW YORK KNICKS VS. NO. 7 BOSTON CELTICS===

Knicks Offense vs. Celtics Defense

The Knicks offense (ranked 4th overall with a PPP of .976) vs. the Celtics Defense (ranked 6th overall with a PPP of .906) will be a battle between two of the top 6 units in the league. The Celtics main deficiency defensively is their transition defense ranked 30th in the league (1.229 PPP). However, the Knicks are not the type of team that will be able to take advantage of this weak transition defense. They play at the slowest pace in the league using less than 10 possessions per game in transition. It is also interesting to note that the Celtics have gotten better defensively almost across the board since they lost Rajon Rondo to injury on January 27th. In fact, their Overall Points Per Possession (PPP) is .906 which ranked 6th best in the league this season (includes all games with and without Rondo), but it has dropped to .901 since the Rondo injury on January 27th.

The Knicks are a perimeter oriented team, which is illustrated by the percentage of shots that are jump shots, 60.8%. That the highest percentage of jump shots in the half court in the NBA. The Knicks are able to get .98 PPP off their jump shots in the half court, which is good for 4th best in the league. The Celtics defend the jump shot better than anyone in the NBA, only allowing .841 PPP from jump shots.

Celtics Offense vs. Knicks Defense

At the other end of the court the match-up is between the 12th ranked Celtics offense (.939 PPP) and the 21st ranked Knicks defense (.941 PPP). Much like their defense, the Celtics offense has gotten better since Rondo went down in late January, but it was not an across the board improvement. They have gotten better in Overall offense, Half Court offense, Spot Ups, Isolations, and Post-Ups, but they have not been as efficient in Transition or in P&R Ball Handler situations. One area that will be interesting to watch is Post-Ups where the Celtics are the 4th most efficient team in the league (.892 PPP) and the Knicks are the league's best Post –Up defense (.752 PPP).

The Celtics primarily utilize 3 players in their Post offense, Kevin Garnett (44.4%Time, Pierce 19.1%Time, Jeff Green 18.3%Time). Garnett and Pierce are both effective in the post scoring at least 1 point 47.1% and 49.3% respectively. This could be a matchup of strengths as Garnett could see a lot of Tyson Chandler, who only allows people to score at least 1 point 32.2% of the time. Likewise, Pierce can expect to be posting often against Carmelo Anthony who only allows his opponents to score 32.1% when he is guarding in the post.

Matchup to Watch: Carmelo Anthony vs. Paul Pierce

New York went 3-1 vs. Boston in the regular season, but Boston did a very good job of making Carmelo Anthony work for his points. Anthony was very efficient all year, ranking in the 88th percentile and scoring 1.021 PPP, but against Boston that PPP dropped to .815. Carmelo, who is led the league in scoring at 28.7 ppg, scored just 25.2 ppg against Boston while taking almost 26 field goal attempts/game. On the other side, Paul Pierce went in the other direction as his PPP went from .947 (69th percentile) in the regular season to 1.024 in the match-ups with the Knicks. Not surprisingly, with his increased efficiency Pierce's points per game went from 18.6 in the regular season to 21.2 ppg against the Knicks, while taking almost the same amount of shots per game.

vCash
    The guy who said game 1 was huge was right on the money. I can see the Knicks just having too much confidence and firepower if they get flowing in game 1. If they lose game 1, I can see Celtics getting a major psyche edge and turning game 2 into our ****ing Superbowl, which won't fare good for us even if we've done well in Boston this season.

Game 1 is going to be more telling in this series than any other IMO.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast