Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Brandon Nimmo Stands Out for Savannah

The title of this piece is too obvious. Brandon Nimmo, a 2011 first round draft pick taken ahead of Marlins phenom Jose Fernandez should stand out. No? But the outfielder from Wyoming’s development path has been slow. At a development stage when most top prospects are assigned to full season squads, Nimmo was returned to extended spring training and assigned to Brooklyn of the New York-Penn League in 2012. At 19, he produced 35% better than league average in 2012. However, it’s difficult to avoid focusing on a triple slash line of .248/.372/.406.

Video after the jump

Finally in full season, Nimmo has achieved a .405/.500/.486 line through his first ten games and shows no signs of slowing down. Having scouted him a couple of times against the Rome Braves, the left-handed hitter deserves mention with the very best the South Atlantic League has to offer. He’s also much improved from the player J.D. Sussman scouted last season while in Brooklyn.

(J.D. Sussman's report from last year): The Mets have oversold Nimmo’s athleticism but he is an interesting package. His approach is passive, he is content letting pitch after pitch go by as he waits on a fastball, preferably low in the zone. His pitch recognition needs considerable work and presently undermines his hit tool. Power could be his carry tool, it has the potential to be plus. Right now Nimmo is very raw and a full season assignment would be aggressive. But I don’t see the Mets keeping him in Brooklyn either.

Listed at 180 pounds, the six-foot-three Nimmo appeared 20 pounds heavier in person. Well-proportioned, discussion of him “outgrowing center field” is overblown. At full physical maturity, Nimmo may be 15-20 pounds heavier than he is now, but doesn’t have the frame to become bulky.

At the plate, Nimmo combines a patient approach with the ability to consistently barrel baseballs in the strike zone. In expecting to see a project, Nimmo’s polish was surprising. Most every ball put in play was hard hit resulting in gap power to all fields.

The most impressive swing of the two game set came against Braves organizational player Williams Perez. On an 89 mph fastball tailing down and away from Nimmo, he sat back beautifully, let the ball travel to his back hip and scorched a line drive single up the middle.

As Nimmo continues learn how to identify pitches to drive, his power should uptick as well. Early in the season, his strikeout and walk percentages have both decreased. While one might dismiss this as small sample size, Nimmo’s controlled aggression is a sign of growth from a scouting standpoint when compared to the player Sussman saw.

If this holds true, then Nimmo is bound to put baseballs in play at a higher rate than last season, resulting in the accumulation of extra base hits. He’s the type of hitter who may never present with more than average-to-above power, but it will play up.

Beyond strong plate discipline, Nimmo also features a simple set up and swing mechanics. When his hips and hands work in unison, easy power is present as the ball explodes off the barrel. When he leads with the hips, bat drag is present. Repetition will remedy this.

On defense, Nimmo went untested in the two game look. With his athleticism and stride length, nothing stood out as reasons why Nimmo would not be able to function in center field. Reads and route running may result in his moving to a corner, but he has 3-500 more minor league games to figure it out.

Running the bases, Nimmo isn’t as slow as his career 25% success rate would indicate. It would not surprise me if he finished the year with double-digit stolen bases.

The Mets organization has been patient with Nimmo and it’s beginning to pay off. Of current Major Leaguers, his upside projection falls in the .285/.350/.450 range. In 2012, corner outfielders who fit this profile include Orioles Nick Markakis, Rangers David Murphy and Royals Alex Gordon.

By the end of the 2013 season, don’t be surprised if Nimmo has overtaken Wilmer Flores as the best position prospect in the organization, assuming Travis D’Arnaud loses eligibility later in the season.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/brand...-for-savannah/

There's video of Nimmo if you click on the link.

vCash
    I'm still high on Nimmo, I see him being a good/very good player.

I like picks like this in the 1st round, a potential difference maker, not some so so short-stop.

vCash

I think that he could put higher OBP than .350, that is just a little above average, I am thinking he could be a .360-.380 guy consistently.

vCash
    The only problem withe the comps are that they are corner outfielders and Centerfield is where we will find Nimmo.

The problem I have with so many scouting reports on young kids like Nimmo, is that pigeonhole these prospects to be a certain way. The kid is so raw coming out of high school, he needed to be taught this FO way of playing baseball. You'll see quite a few HS players following the same route. This organizations baseball fundamentals are quite different to what they have been taught.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    he is moving really slow

we might not see him till 2017

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    he is moving really slow

Thanks for the laugh.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    dupe

vCash
    The way Nimmo is raking he'll end the season in St. Lucie this year. Then depending on how he hits there, he'll either start there again next season with a mid season call-up to AA or spend the entire season in AA in 2014.

He's probably going to reach the majors in 2015 barring injury or lack of production.

vCash
    I think he'll start in St. Lucie next year, and move up after a month or 2.

But then again I thought Plawecki would start in St. Lucie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    he is moving really slow

plz tell me this is sarcasm

vCash

I think that if he hits .300+ for two mores that he goes to St. Lucie and next year he starts in AA.

vCash
    They always loved his eye and it seems like he has taken the advice he got in the offseason to heart.

He's matured physically and if he can stick in CF, he could have significant positional value just based on his bat alone.

I like Nimmo's gap power but i think he will hit a few more long balls than Markakis and Gordon as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The only problem withe the comps are that they are corner outfielders and Centerfield is where we will find Nimmo.

The problem I have with so many scouting reports on young kids like Nimmo, is that pigeonhole these prospects to be a certain way. The kid is so raw coming out of high school, he needed to be taught this FO way of playing baseball. You'll see quite a few HS players following the same route. This organizations baseball fundamentals are quite different to what they have been taught.
    "Coachable"
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'm still high on Nimmo, I see him being a good/very good player.

I like picks like this in the 1st round, a potential difference maker, not some so so short-stop.
    Or a reliever like Kunz...that one made me crazy.....and a few picks later Freddie Freeman, Mike Stanton and Jordan Zimmerman were picked. In the draft you need impact players in round 1....potential aces pitchers, speedy leadoff hitters with great defense, sluggers.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    And Freeman, Stanton and Zimmerman were not among the top 100 pre draft pick list...Mulvey was #63 and Joe Smith #94 BTW so it meant that WAS, ATL and STL---three very effective drafting teams---had scouted these guys as being worth a 2nd round pick.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969