Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Game 82 (4-17-13): Sixers (33-48, 10-30A) @ Pacers (49-31, 30-10H)

VS
    Philadelphia 76ers - Indiana Pacers

Date: Wednesdy, April 17th, 2013
    Time: 8:00 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers coach Frank Vogel discussed resting his players in preparation for the playoffs, but the manner in which that extra rest was granted has to leave an uneasy feeling.

After having their last game canceled due to the tragic events in Boston, the Pacers conclude the regular season Wednesday night against a visiting Philadelphia 76ers team hoping to send coach Doug Collins out on a high note.

Vogel seemed prepared to rest an unspecified number of players for Monday's road game versus the Celtics, but two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon that left at least three dead and hundreds injured forced the cancellation of that contest.

After releasing a statement accounting for each member of the team, Indiana traveled home to prepare for its regular-season finale.

The Central Division champion Pacers (49-31) are guaranteed the Eastern Conference's third seed after falling 90-80 to second-place New York on Sunday.

They are on the verge of winning 50 games for the first time since 2003-04 but have been struggling down the stretch. Indiana has dropped four of five while allowing 100.4 points per game, nearly 10 above its season average.

Paul George, the Pacers' leading scorer at 17.4 points per game, finished 3 for 12 from the field and 1 of 8 from 3-point range while scoring nine points Sunday. He's averaging 10.8 points and shooting a dismal 28.3 percent over the last five.

"We haven't really earned (the No. 3 seed) as far as getting the win and solidifying it ourselves," George said. "We're just not taking care of business."

Vogel believes that's partly due to fatigue after the Pacers committed a season-worst 26 turnovers Sunday.

"Got a couple of guys banged up and a couple of guys with dead legs," Vogel said. "Paul George's 3-point shot is not even close. He's been playing too many minutes."

It's unclear if Vogel's plan to rest players has changed with the extra day off, but the Pacers surely will be in for a challenge against a motivated 76ers team likely playing its last game with Collins as coach.

Multiple reports have indicated Collins will be stepping down following a season that began with high expectations after the acquisition of Andrew Bynum but will end with the 76ers missing the playoffs for the first time in three seasons under Collins.

Philadelphia (33-48) never played a game with the injured Bynum, and Jason Richardson was lost for the season after suffering a knee injury in January.

"(I think about having Bynum) each and every day," forward Thaddeus Young said. "If we had the big fella in the middle, a bunch of things could change. This team was assembled to play around him. At the end of the day, it happened where he couldn't play this season. We'll try and take all the positives and bring them into next season."

Collins wouldn't discuss his future before or after Monday's 109-101 loss at Detroit that snapped a two-game winning streak, but he said his team will be relaxed heading into the season finale.

"I like what this team is doing, and it is a fun group," Collins said. "I told them that it is supposed to be great weather in Indy (on Tuesday), so we'll take the day off, enjoy ourselves and then get together for one last good game."

Indiana won the first two meetings this season before Jrue Holiday scored 27 points and dished out 12 assists in Philadelphia's 98-91 home win March 16.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    Jason Richardson, G: Out (knee)
    Andrew Bynum, C: Out (knee)

Indiana:
    George Hill, G: Day-to-day (groin) - reported to be out

vCash
    Looks like the Pacers could well be resting players, so a win here isn't as crazy as it would be otherwise.

Two other relevant games tonight:

Toronto (33-48, 20-20H) vs Boston (41-39, 14-26A) - 8:00pm ET
    Toronto have been decent recently (currently on a 6-1 run), particularly with Bargnani out. Boston have been struggling recently (currently on a 3-5 run). The big question is whether they rest their guys, or play them in tribute to Boston given everything that's going on there. They're locked into the 7th seed and have nothing to play for, so I'm guessing they'll either completely rest them, or start them but really restrict their minutes.

Portland (33-48, 22-18H) vs Golden State (46-35, 18-22A) - 10:30pm ET
    Portland have been awful recently (12 game losing streak), while Golden State have to win to ensure they play Denver instead of San Antonio - which you have to guess they'd prefer. It would be a big surprise if Portland won this one.

vCash
    The difference between the 10th, 11th and 12th picks isn't that big on average, and often the player going ahead ends up worse - last year NOH took Austin Rivers at 10, leaving Leonard, Lamb, Harkless, etc on the board, and in 2011 Milwaukee drafter Jimmer leaving Klay Thompson to go #11.

But it can also be the difference between Paul George and Cole Aldrich or Xavier Henry (2010), or between Brandon Jennings and TWill or Gerald Henderson (2009), or Brook Lopez and Jerryd Bayless or Jason Thompson (2008), etc.

In terms of moving up in the lottery we're talking about the difference between 4% (if you're alone in 10th worst) or 2.5% (if you're alone on 12th), so it's really not much, but if you have any preference at all amongst players in that late-lottery range it's really really in your interest to pick a couple of spots higher up.

vCash
    Great breakdown bholly!

With Boston with nothing to play for and there vets needing all the rest they can get and Toronto surging I cud easily see Toronto pull this game out.

With the pacers resting players to I cud easily see the Sixers winning that game. The blazers have just been tanking like crazy these last couple weeks and I am confident they will lose.

My guess is Portland gets the 10 pick, Sixers and Toronto tie for the 11 and 12 pick.

vCash
    Thre sixers will lose this game.

vCash
    I think the team's performance tonight will speak volumes about it's feelings towards it's coach.

Could be flat as a pancake...or they could come out flying (especially early).

vCash
    good point. i was gonna post something similar

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 4 Yards: 97 TD: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    I think the team's performance tonight will speak volumes about it's feelings towards it's coach.

it doesnt matter... its a completely empty game.... dont make it more than it is...

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post

They'll be flat, indifferent, uninterested, and apathetic. As they have been all season. This group of players is pathetic.

vCash
    i think they will play hard for Collins tonight. As much as some or most em may not like much anymore I still think they respect him and give him effort as a thank you

RETURN OF THE MAC

vCash

Game 82 (4-17-13): Sixers (33-48, 10-30A) @ Pacers (49-31, 30-10H)

For who for what?

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    I was thinking theyd proly play hard for Collins tonite, too, but you never know.. I wouldnt necessarily attribute poor play to their feelings towards the coach, either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    For who for what?
    any pro should want to at least end their season on a positive note.

Quote Originally Posted by Airevo76 View Post
    I was thinking theyd proly play hard for Collins tonite, too, but you never know.. I wouldnt necessarily attribute poor play to their feelings towards the coach, either.
    agreed. they have been pretty bad most of the year so poor play wouldnt exactly refelct on Collins. I just would like to see an effort

RETURN OF THE MAC

vCash
    Well, at least Toronto are winning, even if only narrowly.

vCash
    Looks like there our there tryna kick the pacers *** lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast