Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Game 80: Sacramento Kings (28-51) @ Houston Rockets (44-35) - April 14, 2013

(28-51) at (44-35)

Date and Time: Friday, April 14th, 2013 @ 4:00 PM
    TV: CSNCA, Radio: 1140 KHTK

Toyota Center
    1510 Polk St.
    Houston, TX 77002

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS:

Sacramento Kings

PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C

Thomas---Evans---Salmons---Thompson---Cousins

Houston Rockets
    PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C

Lin---Harden---Parsons---Montiejunas---Asik

Team Leaders

Code:
                        Sacramento Kings:           Houston Rockets:
    Rebounds:           DeMarcus Cousins - 9.9      Omer Asik - 11.7
    Assists:            Isaiah Thomas - 3.9         Jeremy Lin - 6.1
    Blocks:             James Johnson - 0.9         Omer Asik - 1.1
    Steals:             DeMarcus Cousins - 1.5      James Harden - 1.8
    Field Goal %:       Jason Thompson  - 50.9      Greg Smith - 62.6
    3-Point %:          Patrick Patterson - 44.1    Francisco Garcia - 39.7

Key Matchup

Tyreke vs Harden
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Should be a good one. Gonna try to watch it.

vCash
    I do not believe that I will be home in time to watch the game live. I will most likely watch it after it is over and post comments some time after the game.

vCash
    Sooooooo........ we're not doing so well.

vCash
    We had a nice little stretch in the second quarter. Other than that, we look like we're ready for the off-season.

vCash
    Houston Rockets are in playoff mode, definitely not going to get bad basketball out of them tonight... and that's almost what the Kings needed to get a W.

Another display of Isaiah being a streaky PG... assists are nice this game, but his season avg is still a pitiful 3.9. (I'm on the Trey Burke train if it means Isaiah to the bench)

With the way this is going, T-Rob is going to get some burn!

vCash
    LMAO Keith Smart is talking in his post game presser as if he's going to be coaching the Kings next year! LOL

He said something along the lines of, this summer we'll get with Cole Aldrich and train him and get him improved/ready for next season...

Smart is in DENIAL!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    LMAO Keith Smart is talking in his post game presser as if he's going to be coaching the Kings next year! LOL

He said something along the lines of, this summer we'll get with Cole Aldrich and train him and get him improved/ready for next season...

Smart is in DENIAL!!!
    He's got another year on his contract after this season, right??

He's in denial, but he's just being positive.

vCash
    Poor coach. What is he suppost to say? And if he is going to get with Cole in the off-season, does that mean tbat Cole is already getting a new contact by who? Ohww well. We don't need to win any more games. Just show up and be proud.

Things tbat I think neex to be addressed. 1. JIMMER; he needs to not only have more playing time he neds to have the bulk at pg. Good or bad. 2. how to use outlaw. That guy can shoot! He just trys to do too much all the time. he over estimates his ball handling skills. 3. is tony, pat, and cole better then i.t., j.t., and cousins? Or is it just the oppositions 2nd unit that they play against that makes them look better? 4. we have better sign Tony and Cole in the off-season. I think those are GREAT guys coming off the bench. There are many more things I would love to write in, but I'll stick to these tonight.

vCash
    Douglas as a backup isn't bad yeah, Aldrich... ehhh.. there's some value in big white stiffs, but he hasn't shown anything consistently now that his rookie contract is up that would suggest anything more than a 2nd string C at best.

Generally speaking, the Kings need to stop overvaluing their assets, that simply happens too much, the Rocket's main role players this year, Greg Smith and Patrick Beverly, were signed at league minimum, Smith wasn't drafted, Beverly never made the team he was drafted by, yet they been great, from a winshare point of view their contract value is off the charts. The difference between league minimum guys who are good and 2 million guys who are not really adds up after a couple, the sad thing is that the Kings are only about 2 millions lower than the Rockets payroll and that's mostly the result of the Thomas Robinson trade.

This is why Isiah Thomas actually has great value, a guy who's actually productive at the minimum is a very big trade chip in this day and age of the NBA. given that he only has a year left of that, the Kings may want to consider moving him if the deal is right.

But otherwise, the Kings need to first find value at the margin before anything else, game changing stars are not easy to come by and Cousins has a better chance of being that than most team could hope for, but the Kings need to surround him with a cost effective cast which would give them a real shot at a second star.

vCash
    I agree. I.T. over preforms for his contract. And is the 2nd or 1st best trading piece we have.

Cousins, I can live or with out. He may have outstanding talent, but at his position, (for what his skill set), can that translate into W's? I guess it depends on the system.

Douglas and Cole I refer as back ups. Not starters. But in my questions, I was making a point that they can play just as good. So why hang your franchise on I.t., j.t., and Cousins? It hadn't worked, and I don't believe ever will.
    Last edited by sneak; 04-15-2013 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    I agree. I.T. over preforms for his contract. And is the 2nd or 1st best trading piece we have.

Cousins, I can live or with out. He may have outstanding talent, but at his position, (for what his skill set), can that translate into W's? I guess it depends on the system.

Douglas and Cole I refer as back ups. Not starters. But in my questions, I was making a point that they can play just as good. So why hang your franchise on I.t., j.t., and Cousins? It hadn't worked, and I don't believe ever will.
    Given that the Kings are still basically at square one of the rebuilding phase after wasting so many years thanks to the Maloofs, you gotta judge what assets have the potential of being more than what they are now either because they improved or because they can be useful trade pieces.

To that end, Isiah Thomas is good, there's still a decent chance of improvement from him, and at his contract he's a very high value player. you can do something with that, I'm not entirely sure of the nature of his contract what it means in terms of extension and max off (I'd presume it couldn't be that high as a restricted FA) . so he's worth keeping around and either hope he develops a bit or have a decent shot at trading.

As for Cousins, he's not the ideal super star for obvious reasons, but I think one needs to put into perspective that center is the hardest position to find good talent in, that's just truth, there's no debating that. that in itself gives him a lot of value, I see him as a better Zack Randolph in the making, Randolph was also a moody a-hole that really didn't figure it out until he got older, but Cousin's physical gift is better by a considerable margin.

At the very very worst. he should get you a lot in trade, you can't let that asset go to waste no matter what. If they're going to trade him, please make sure it counts.

Thompson is a tough one, he's big, but he space the floor poorly and doesn't really rebound like you'd expect of a 6'11 PF, he's not terribly overpaid but also isn't that cheap, he's not old but also isn't developing much as he gets near his peak.

I think as the way the team is currently constructed you probably want to move Thompson, he's movable at his cost and age etc, you won't get a ton out of it, but I think it's a decent marginal improvement to go to Patrick Patterson as the main PF if only for the sake of spacing and chemistry. if your moving Cousins though that might change.

Salmon... this another tough one, from an asset POV he's worthless and really just an expensive placeholder, though I suppose in a rebuilding phase having him around would be ok since you have no obvious replacements anyway. and I don't advocate drafting a SF and start him 82 rookie. The biggest problem for a lot of these rebuilding team is that they assuming playing a lot of rookie and see who stick works, usually it doesn't, most non-super star rookies will suck and be bad for their development when you do that.

SG: Evans is likely to be gone, someone will drop money on him that price him out of his reasonable range of usefulness , unless someone want to do a sign and trade to save a few bucks then the Kings should do it, otherwise if someone's just gonna strait drop a 10m on him or something let him go. As i've repeatedly said, volume / inefficient scoring SG that suck at defense is generally terribly overvalued in the NBA. Evan's defense have improved somewhat as he starts to become a vet though, in the context of the Kings it's not terrible. So I guess if folks aren't offering over the 7-8M range the Kings should still consider matching. but be wary if someone goes into 9-10m range.