Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How does this series play out?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Jays sweep

13 48.15%
  • Blue Jays take 2/3

6 22.22%
  • Royals take 2/3

5 18.52%
  • Royals sweep

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

Blue Jays vs Royals: April 12-14

Toronto Blue Jays

VS

Kansas City Royals

Friday, April 12, 8:10 PM EST, Kauffman Stadium

vs
    J.A. Happ.....Luis Mendoza
    1-0, 0.00 ERA.....0-0, 1.50 ERA

Happ couldn't have hoped for a better start to 2013. Happ threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings, giving up one hit and three walks with six strikeouts against the Red Sox. The lefty's dominant start was the result of relying more on his changeup.

Mendoza held the Phils to two hits and one run in six innings last Saturday but wasn't rewarded with a win -- the Royals blew a 3-1 lead in the last inning. But it was a good first start for Mendoza, who won the No. 5 rotation job from Bruce Chen.

Saturday, April 13, 7:10 PM EST, Kauffman Stadium

vs
    R.A. Dickey......James Shields
    0-2, 8.44 ERA......1-1, 3.75 ERA

Dickey surrendered eight runs (seven earned) in 4 2/3 innings during his last start vs. Boston. One issue was that he broke a fingernail, which caused problems with his knuckleball. That led to an increased use of the fastball and diminished results.

Despite giving up four first-inning runs at Philadelphia in his last start, Shields followed that with five shutout innings and notched his first KC victory.

Sunday, April 14, 2:10 PM EST, Kauffman Stadium

vs
    Brandon Morrow.......Ervin Santana
    0-1, 5.59 ERA.........1-1, 3.21 ERA

Morrow allowed five runs on nine hits over just 3 2/3 innings during his last start against the Tigers. The biggest issue was his inability to command the slider, which resulted in not striking out a batter for the first time since last May.

In his first win for the Royals, Santana pitched eight innings and gave up one run and eight singles. He struck out seven, walked one and hit one.

Happ looking to continue winning trend vs. Royals

The Blue Jays will turn to No. 5 starter J.A. Happ against Kansas City on Friday in hopes he can turn around a string of poor starts to begin the season.

Toronto will be looking for a similar start to Happ's 2013 debut where the Blue Jays left-hander fired 5 1/3 scoreless innings against the Red Sox on April 6, walking three and striking out six.

Happ's success was the result of turning to his changeup more frequently, something he got away from the last couple of years.

"I think that's going to be a big pitch for me," said Happ after his last start. "I had a couple of good ones today, trying to keep them off-balance. I think it makes the fastball that much better.

They'll need Happ to continue his success as the Blue Jays' starting pitching has been poor recently. In the team's last four games the starters have combined to allowed 25 runs (23 earned) in only 14 innings -- good for a 14.79 ERA.

He'll take the mound for his second start on Friday night in his first career appearance at Kauffman Stadium.

The Royals are coming off their first series sweep of the season and have played very well to open the season, finding a way to win both low and high-scoring games.

Taking the mound for Kansas City is Luis Mendoza, who beat out Bruce Chen for the fifth spot in the rotation this spring to become the only holdover, along with Jeremy Guthrie, from last year's Royals rotation. Mendoza, a right-hander, held the Phillies to two hits and one run through six innings in his first start, and will be looking for much of the same against Toronto.

Mendoza wasn't awarded the win after Kansas City blew a 3-1 lead, but it was a solid performance for the right-hander, who is 1-2 with a 5.64 ERA through 22 1/3 career innings against Toronto. Mendoza lost in his last matchup with the Blue Jays -- giving up three earned runs with nine hits, while also striking out a career-high nine hitters in the process.

The trip to Kansas City marks a reunion of sorts for Blue Jays manager John Gibbons, who spent three seasons with the Royals as the team's bench coach.

"I loved my three years over there, I got close to a lot of the players. When I was there, you could see they were on the verge of something really good," Gibbons said.

Early this season it appears they are showing the potential that Gibbons spoke of. The Royals have won five of their last six games and are coming off a sweep of the Twins.

"They put together a great bullpen, they got some of the better younger players in baseball. I think probably the best defensive team in the league. They also have good team speed. You get those young guys, too, they get after you," Gibbons said.

"I expect them to be in this thing until the very end themselves."

Royals: Hosmer confident in defense
    After 64 2/3 flawless innings, the Royals' first error came on Tuesday, as third baseman Mike Moustakas booted Darin Mastroianni's hopper. The seven-game errorless streak was the first in franchise history, and first baseman Eric Hosmer and skipper Ned Yost say their defense will be a team strong point moving forward.

"It's probably the best left side in baseball," Hosmer said. "I think the biggest difference is how strong the throwing arms are. Moose and Esky [shortstop Alcides Escobar], with their range, can make plays in the hole but with that extra step in the hole, they have the arm strength that the average guy doesn't have. That's where they gain ground on the other guys -- their arm strength. It's unreal."

Blue Jays: Reyes off to red-hot start
    The Blue Jays have struggled of late, but the same can't be said for All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes, who is hitting .412 with 14 hits.

"I feel good at the plate right now," Reyes said. "Just seeing the ball good, making a good swing on the ball. I go up there looking for a pitch, and if I get it, I'm going to put a good swing on the ball.

"But that doesn't mean anything, because we know we're not playing the way we're supposed to play -- so I feel like I haven't done anything, because it's all about winning."

Jose Bautista played the whole series against the Tigers, after suffering an ankle sprain that caused him to miss the entirety of the Boston series, but struggled a little at the plate in the cold weather going 2-for-10.

The Blue Jays have yet to put back-to-back games without an error this season, and have struggled defensively in 2013 with nine errors in nine games to lead the league.

Worth noting
    The Blue Jays have struggled on the mound this season, particularly the starters. The Blue Jays own the second worst ERA mark in the league, behind only the Phillies, with a 7.59 ERA through nine games.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    Happ's an automatic win. It's the other two that I'm worried about.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Wow the Phils has a higher ERA than Toronto??? That's kind of amazing, especially since Lee's been lights out in 2 starts for them.

vCash
    I like the pitching matchups. Time for RA to step up and win us a tough start against their ace. I think Kauffman is a good environment for that knuckleball to start dominating. Morrow is due for a big start as well, and hopefully Happ can build off his first trip to the mound. I'm calling a Jays sweep.

vCash
    Lets Sweep, that way we get back to .500 and get some positive vibes going here, as its been pretty negative. We need to start over.
    Last edited by wagnall; 04-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    We could easily take 2/3, but a sweep would depend on the ace match up. The bats definitely need to come alive during this series. I think we give Santana a real good beating with the long ball.

vCash
    Nice to see you back Stealing with the game threads, with all due respect to Tmath, but he doesn't put up pretty pictures.

vCash
    We always have trouble against Shields and Santana. I think we only win the first game.

vCash
    Jays lose all three. The only way to not be disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    We always have trouble against Shields and Santana. I think we only win the first game.
    I understand our struggles against the two. But we are a new team.

vCash
    lets sweep em and get back to 500!

vCash
    2 out of 3 for the Jays. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic.

vCash
    happ and dickey pitch alright... morrow pitches great.

vCash
    I just have a really bad feeling about this series. I don't know why, but I just do.

vCash

Blue Jays vs Royals: April 12-14

A sweep would go a long way right now. But hey at least were not the Angels right now.

Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast