Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post JSonline:Jennings angry over benching

Brandon Jennings was taken out of the Bucks lineup early in the third quarter after Jrue Holiday beat him on a drive to the basket.

And the Bucks point guard did not play the rest of the way in Milwaukee's 100-92 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.

Jennings was held scoreless for the first time in 281 career NBA games as he went 0 for 3 in 17 minutes.

Monta Ellis shifted over from shooting guard and played the point the rest of the way.

"This is the third time I've been benched in the second half and it hasn't been under (former coach Scott) Skiles," Jennings said after the game. "You always want to be out there to help your team.

"I don't see any all-stars in this locker room so I think everybody should be held accountable, like anybody else. There's no maxed-out players in this locker room; there's no all-stars. So don't try to put me on a pedestal and just give everybody else the freedom to do whatever they want."

Jennings said he feels he is being singled out.

"Of course," he said. "This is the third time this has happened. We had a sluggish start but we still had a chance to win it. It was there for us to take."

Asked how he would respond for the Bucks' home test against the Los Angeles Lakers, Jennings said: "It's up to him whether he's going to put me in the game or not," referring to coach Jim Boylan. "Just go with the flow."

Boylan said he was reacting to the Bucks' sluggish start to both halves and low energy.

"At the point of attack, you need to have some intensity," Boylan said. "That was a little bit lacking tonight.

"I just felt I needed to do something to try to energize our team. We played with pretty good energy toward the end of the first half, and then we came out in the second half and we were right back to how we had started the game."

The Bucks were outscored, 8-2, at the start of the second half and Jennings was pulled after fouling Holiday. The 76ers guard made two free throws for a 62-50 lead.

Milwaukee rallied for a 78-76 lead after three quarters and led by four points early in the fourth quarter before the 76ers went on a 15-0 run to take control.

"When you play that position (point guard) there comes a lot of responsibility," Boylan said. "The offense is initiated from that position. The talent at that position in this league is outstanding.

"So you have to bring it every single night, at both ends of the floor. If that's not happening, you need to do something. I just felt I needed to do something tonight, so that's what I did."

Jennings scored just four points on 1-of-15 shooting against Indiana on Friday night.

He has scored just two points on four different occasions during his NBA career but had not been held scoreless.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200350901.html

Curious if he's thinking sign and trade come July 1 or taking QO and tells us where to trade him? Not sure we can trade him right away though in a QO. Besides he needs our consent to trade him. Might have to wait till close to trade deadline. Cause it might be considered a signing? Maybe not. By then locker room will be tainted. He's probably thinking Dallas in a sign and trade. We tell Dallas to pick who we want in the draft at #13 and they maybe include local kid Crowder. At #13 they could pick Glenn Robinson III for us and we get to pick MCW or Burke?

vCash
    regardless of how they do it, it sounds like this guy needs to go. Having him and Ellis doesn't really make sense anyway.

vCash
    Plus we knew there be problems adding Redick in the mix minutes wise. Jennings was catered here and very seldom benched. Skiles kinda baby him back in the day. After we lost Ridnour, Jennings had free rein here. Cause he knew we had no reliable back ups. More fuel to the fire for this offseason. Not many decent trade destinations for Jennings either since pg's are a dime a dozen these days.

Only hand full of team's be interested in Jennings like Dallas or Utah. But Utah isn't a large market. Suns were rumored to be interested according to Woelfel and another newspaper. But they have Dragic under a deal yet around $8M per. Raptors could be interested but doubt they want to part with Ross. Also doubt we want to take on any bad contracts from them neither. We still have to decide on Gooden amnesty yet this summer.

vCash
    Brandon Jennings was 0-for-3 with no free-throw attempts and no rebounds through three quarters against the 76ers last night. That was also his final line, because Jim Boylan benched the Bucks point guard for the fourth quarter.

Jennings didn’t take kindly to the move. Associated Press:

“I don’t see any All-Stars in this locker room,” he said.

“I think that everyone should be held accountable,” he said. “There’s no maxed-out players in this locker room. So don’t try to put me on a pedestal and just give everyone else the freedom to do whatever they want.”

If Jennings, who will become a restricted free agent this summer, wants to receive a max contract (or anything near it), he better start acting like a max player right now. Being a max player, as Jennings hints, comes with higher expectations. Teams will be rightfully skeptical of giving big money to Jennings, who just announced he doesn’t want to be held to a higher standard. If he’s not going all out in a contract year, why would that change once he gets a guaranteed large contract?

But I’m also sympathetic to Jennings’ situation.

The Bucks embarrassed him. He’s embarrassing them.

That’s not the mature, measured response I’m sure Boylan was seeking, but it’s an understandable response. It’s probably no coincidence Jennings is better than most NBA players, including most of his teammates. Typically, better players are better because they work harder. Jennings has probably out-worked his peers to raise his baseline level, and now he’s being punished for not meeting the standard he created by working hard in the first place.

Still, Jennings fell well below any reasonable standard last night. But he also limited his impact. He took just three shots and had no turnovers. Some players force the issue to protect their per-game averages, but Jennings just allowed teammates who were having better games to take over.

It’s not the 0-for-3, no-turnover nights that kill you. It’s the 3-for-14, six-turnover nights that kill you. Jennings played like he understood the difference.

Is that the mark of an All-Star or a max player? Well, Jennings answered that himself when he sat in the locker room and said there were no All-Stars or max players in the locker room.

But that is the type of performance that probably should have earned Jennings a couple fourth quarter minutes to try to get back on track and, at minimum, save the shaming of a benching
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rter-benching/

vCash
    Before the season began the Milwaukee Bucks were unable to come to a contract agreement with their young point guard Brandon Jennings, despite others in Jennings’ draft class getting extensions. But now that the year is nearing a close and the Bucks headed for the playoffs, the question of whether Milwaukee should sign Jennings to a long-term contract will be a hot topic.

If anything Jennings has been consistent throughout his career since being drafted 10th overall in 2009. Jennings has started all but two of the games he has appeared in for the Bucks, and besides missing 19 games in 2010-2011 he has played in every other game for Milwaukee in his career with a solid averages of 17.1 points and 5.8 assists.

The issue is that Jennings still can’t seem to improve his shooting percentage or shot selection. To his credit, Jennings is averaging a career-high is assists this season (6.9), but he is also shooting less that .400 from the field for the third time in four year.

The Bucks traded for shooter J.J. Redick to help take some of the scoring pressure off of Jennings and fellow erratic shooter Monta Ellis, but there hasn’t been much improvement if any that should inspire the Bucks to offer Jennings an extension in the same $10-12 million range that his NBA draft classmates received.

As a restricted free agent the Bucks have the right to match any offer Jennings receives this summer, so they should wait and see what the market value is for Jennings before committing too soon. If Jennings is able to secure an offer in the eight-figure per year range from a big market team, the Bucks should simply move on without him.
    http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/0...lwaukee-bucks/

vCash
    Milwaukee Bucks head coach Jim Boylan yanked a struggling Brandon Jennings (0 points, 3 assists) in the third quarter last night, and Jennings never saw the court again as the Bucks lost 100-92 to the Philadelphia Sixers. Brandon was not pleased, as you might expect. Per the Journal Sentinel: “Jennings was held scoreless for the first time in 281 career NBA games as he went 0 for 3 in 17 minutes. Monta Ellis shifted over from shooting guard and played the point the rest of the way. ‘This is the third time I’ve been benched in the second half and it hasn’t been under (former coach Scott) Skiles,’ Jennings said after the game. ‘You always want to be out there to help your team. I don’t see any all-stars in this locker room so I think everybody should be held accountable, like anybody else. There’s no maxed-out players in this locker room; there’s no all-stars. So don’t try to put me on a pedestal and just give everybody else the freedom to do whatever they want.’ Jennings said he feels he is being singled out. ‘Of course,’ he said. ‘This is the third time this has happened. We had a sluggish start but we still had a chance to win it. It was there for us to take.’ Asked how he would respond for the Bucks’ home test against the Los Angeles Lakers, Jennings said: ‘It’s up to him whether he’s going to put me in the game or not,” referring to coach Jim Boylan. ‘Just go with the flow.’ Boylan said he was reacting to the Bucks’ sluggish start to both halves and low energy. ‘At the point of attack, you need to have some intensity,’ Boylan said. ‘That was a little bit lacking tonight. I just felt I needed to do something to try to energize our team. We played with pretty good energy toward the end of the first half, and then we came out in the second half and we were right back to how we had started the game.’ [...] ‘When you play that position (point guard) there comes a lot of responsibility,’ Boylan said. ‘The offense is initiated from that position. The talent at that position in this league is outstanding. So you have to bring it every single night, at both ends of the floor. If that’s not happening, you need to do something. I just felt I needed to do something tonight, so that’s what I did.’
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...oss-to-sixers/

vCash
    Unexpectedly early in the second half of a listless 100-92 loss — 2 minutes and 23 seconds in, to be exact — Bucks coach Jim Boylan had seen enough. He sat Brandon Jennings down. Boylan kept him on the bench for the remainder of the second half too.

Jennings finished the game with zero points for the first time in his NBA career. He also fumed from the bench, directing some unkind words toward Boylan after taking a seat.

Was it his direction of a directionless offense that triggered the move? Or his inability to fight over screens and stay in front of Jrue Holiday? Or perhaps most likely, some combination of the two?

Whatever the cause, the move worked initially. After Jrue Holiday made his two free throws from Jennings’ foul, the 76ers had a 12-point lead. From that point, with Monta Ellis on the ball, the Bucks initiated a 33-14 run over the next 11 minutes. The Bucks and Ellis started running the high pick-and-roll with Larry Sanders setting the screen and rolling hard toward the basket. Milwaukee tore up 76ers for a time, with the pair combining for 19 points in the third quarter.

Shifting into attack mode gave Philadelphia concerns defensively that they clearly didn’t have in the first quarter. When Milwaukee started the game with a Jennings/Ellis/Marquis Daniels/Ersan Ilyasova/Sanders quintet, the offense sputtered around aimlessly. The best looks the Bucks could generate were jump shots by their worst shooters: Daniels and Sanders. Not surprisingly, the 76ers surged to a first-quarter, double-digit lead.

The Bucks used the high pick-and-roll to catch up in the game, but they weren’t the first to use it successfully in this game. While Jennings hesitated to probe the 76ers defense in the first half, Philadelphia exploited Thaddeus Young‘s matchup with Ilyasova. Young scored 12 first-half points on 6-of-8 shooting as the 76ers consistently fed him passes to open space off the pick-and-roll.

If Jennings felt he had been singled out unfairly by Boylan, he was probably correct in one regard. Jennings had little to do with the eight offensive rebounds that the 76ers (especially Young and Spencer Hawes) turned into 12 second-chance points in the first half.

Monta Ellis had another solid game, and the Bucks fared better with the ball in his control. But on his way to playing the entire second half, Monta started to falter under apparent fatigue midway through the fourth. He made a pass that was easily deflected and turned into a fast break. He lost a dribble out of bounds. On one defensive sequence, he made the typical ‘Ellis double team’: he turned his back on his own man and watched the ball enter the low post. But he didn’t made a move toward it, nor did he glance at his own man. He essentially played ten seconds of defense without moving from his spot — just turning and looking — until the 76ers kicked the ball out for a three-pointer over the top of his absent defense.

It’s hard to fault Ellis, because with Jennings tethered to a seat, the Bucks had no one to replace him for a breather and he was clearly spent. His foibles helped the 76ers earn some easy points as well a lead they wouldn’t give back.

One last thought: Marquis Daniels does nothing at all for the Bucks offense. Teams don’t respect his jump shot — the 76ers certainly didn’t — and the only thing keeping his man from camping directly under the hoop is the NBA’s defensive three-second rule. Even Daniels’ defense isn’t enough to make this clip extremely disappointing. Speaking of the Harris trade, the Bucks played much better with J.J.Redick taking Jennings’ spot, but part of the Bucks struggles on offense tied into Redick making just two of his 12 shots.

The Bucks host Jennings’ hometown team, the L.A. Lakers, tonight at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. Let the drama unfold.
    http://behindthebuckpass.com/2013/03...gh-of-a-boost/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Plus we knew there be problems adding Redick in the mix minutes wise. Jennings was catered here and very seldom benched. Skiles kinda baby him back in the day. After we lost Ridnour, Jennings had free rein here. Cause he knew we had no reliable back ups. More fuel to the fire for this offseason. Not many decent trade destinations for Jennings either since pg's are a dime a dozen these days.

Only hand full of team's be interested in Jennings like Dallas or Utah. But Utah isn't a large market. Suns were rumored to be interested according to Woelfel and another newspaper. But they have Dragic under a deal yet around $8M per. Raptors could be interested but doubt they want to part with Ross. Also doubt we want to take on any bad contracts from them neither. We still have to decide on Gooden amnesty yet this summer.
    I still say sign and trade him to Utah. I think Jennings is going to realize that none of the big market teams are going to pay him what he wants. Last night he crossed the line. I would have taken him back before but now? So long.

I wouldn't even mind just losing him outright now and avoiding the headache. Resign Ellis and Reddick than draft bpa
    Last edited by BroncoBuck; 03-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.

vCash
    We can always sign another point guard like Jarret Jack or someone so I would focus on drafting the best player available, unless that player is a PF if that's the case I would trade back a few spots if there is interest or take next best available.

vCash
    We cant lose him out right till 2014. But that's another season with him on QO or RFA signing. Well I suppose we could opt to not match any RFA offer sheets. But then we lose any tiny assets we could get back like a player on a rookie deal or future pick. Dallas has #13 pick and Jazz have #14 and #21. But I don't want to see us taking bad contracts back either.

vCash
    Jazz #14 sounds good or they can trade us Alec Burks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    We cant lose him out right till 2014. But that's another season with him on QO or RFA signing. Well I suppose we could opt to not match any RFA offer sheets. But then we lose any tiny assets we could get back like a player on a rookie deal or future pick. Dallas has #13 pick and Jazz have #14 and #21. But I don't want to see us taking bad contracts back either.
    I could see us doing what the Knicks did last season and not match the RFA offers than just signing someone on a solid deal to replace him. I think it is going to be very difficult to get value for him because he has put us in a tough place. Teams know that he will force his way out of here regardless so we have little leverage. Plus, the league is full of point guards as it is so there isn't much demand. The whole situation sucks. It would have been ideal to trade him at the deadline but it sounds like even then we weren't receiving the best offers.

I would take the Jazz pick or Burks and a 2nd if they offered it.
    Young Guns

vCash
    I agree with the pedestal part. Everybody has their role. Its not only him that isn't playing the best. In other news, the Milwaukee Bucks continue to treat their "Star" players like ****. Therefor keeping them a lower tier franchise where nobody wants to play, forever. End rant.
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    I mean..does anyone still want this guy on the team? I remember getting drilled for saying Ellis was a way better option then Jennings.

I just watched the game yesterday only to see this immature baby pouting on the bench while everyone else was into the game, and got up to give the rest of the team high-fives. This guy is such a joke. A PG with no shot who continues to chuck the ball up no matter what.

vCash
    1) Are you calling Jennings a star?
    2) Are you saying Jennings is being "mistreated" by the Bucks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast