Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prigioni ‘starting’ to make big impact for Knicks

BOSTON — With the sacred defense of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” the Knicks offer into evidence the following little factoid.

Guard Pablo Prigioni has made five starts. The Knicks are 5-0 in those games.

Want to guess who likely gets his sixth start of the season next to Raymond Felton Wednesday night against the Grizzlies?

“As of late, it’s been working,” said coach Mike Woodson with the most solid support of the move possible.

The insertion of Prigioni, the 35-year-old rookie from Argentina who starred for years in Spain, has worked in so many ways. It allows Jason Kidd to run the second unit. Felton can concentrate a little more on his offense with essentially a two point guard alignment. And In a way that is very important to Woodson, it helps the defense.

Also, let’s not forget that 5-0 thing. But for starters, go with the defense. In those five victories, the Knicks allowed 88.0 points per game, a healthy 7.6 points below the 95.6 they allow on the season.

Prigioni said it’s all about pressure and disrupting the opponent’s comfort level.

“All my career, I try to press the other point guard full court because I feel if I press the other point guard, maybe he lose some seconds and he have difficulty to organize his team,” Prigioni said. “That’s why I try to play defense on the other point.”

Prigioni had another effective performance in the Knicks 100-85 romp over the Celtics Tuesday night. In 30 minutes, he scored seven points, handed off five assists and came up with two steals.

Woodson, for one, said he appreciates it.

“Pablo, he really has been defensive minded for our ballclub all season and the fact that he initiates the defense when we start games has really helped us, put us in a different light,” Woodson said.

Felton, for two, said he also likes the alignment look.

“Pablo has been great for us,” Felton said, listing all the usual point guard goodies — smart, low-turnover player. “He’s the guy that sparks us to get us started. He’s like a little mini-pit bull out there, really aggressive, really gets at guys defensively and he’s a very solid point guard. And it gives me the opportunity to play off the ball a bit and look to score a little bit more.”

And Prigioni makes three in support because he can be his usual point guard self when Felton freelances, which is sort of important with Chandler and Amar’e Stoudemire in the infirmary. The Knicks need more scoring from somewhere.

“When I play with Raymond, he’s so aggressive,” Prigioni said. “He has points in his hands. He’s talented. He can score, so for me if I play with a guard who can score, I try to find him for an open shot or for actions where he can play pick and roll.”
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...PFtAfrGG1SmW8M

Thought this was a good article, didn't realize how good our defense has been with Pablo starting and our record 5-0.

I'm glad he's finally getting a real chance to play, I've loved this guy since day one. All the talk of us needing a backup PG, but I've been saying all year Pablo is the best 3rd string PG in the NBA. I remember saying in a "bold predictions" thread that Pablo would overtake Felton as starting PG by years end... and it might just be happening.

Prigs!

Yea I liked the signing also. He let's Kidd rest by coming off the bench too which is much better for him. I hope he comes back next year though......

Prigie Smalls has been great of late. Would love him back in the 3rd PG role next season.

Pablo reminds me of Kidd in a way. You look at the box score and he'll have maybe 3 or 4 points and a couple of assists, but you want him in the game. He just makes the right plays and helps you win.

And his 3 pt shooting has been great, people said he couldn't shoot but he's at 39% from 3.

Pablo played the entire 4th last night, Felton game in garbage time. I think Woody is slowly getting more comfortable with Pablo running the show instead of Felton and I don't blame him.

Prigioni ‘starting’ to make big impact for Knicks

"He has points in his hands" made me lol. I like this guy

Gotta love this

good ****

[QUOTE=Weezy;25741247]Yea I liked the signing also. He let's Kidd rest by coming off the bench too which is much better for him. I hope he comes back next year though......[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we need to sign 2 PG's...a young one and Prigs. Prigs would have the same role as this year (3rd string PG) but he is good. Real good.

It would have been great to see Prigs in the NBA when he was younger.

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

[QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

It was a great move by Woodson. Give the man credit.

You basically improve what you do offensively with the 3 guard small ball lineup, by allowing Felton (who is probably the person I trust the most offensively on this team after Melo...save Amare who doesn't exist) to play off the ball and free him up to score in the halfcourt. And gives 2 real ball handlers in the starting lineup, as while Kidd could do it, he was clearly preserving himself so he could play more minutes and basically just a spot up shooter at the 2. Prigs does that (maybe more consistently than Kidd now), but also puts pressure on defenses as a pick and roll player. I'm kinda ready to see this play out with Tyson back in the starting lineup.

But he's also extremely aggressive on D, and makes pgs work....which has helped the perimeter d tremendously. Kidd's basically doing what he should've been doing all along and splitting the minutes with Prigs and Kidd.

No he's not a star, of course. But he gives you some of everything you ask for from a pg. And that, plus Shumpert playing better has helped the Knicks get off to great starts.
    Last edited by Busta; 03-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone so consistently disruptive in an opponent's backcourt. It's so entertaining. His shooting has been a surprise plus as well.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Pablo got the nod again with 8 mins left in the 4th, Felton went to the bench. Tonight Felton came back in with 4-5 mins to go and finished, but I'm not sure if we didn't keep giving the lead up that sub would have happened. I do think Woody see's Pablo as our PG who gets most minutes and I think hes working him into that slowly. Something tells me Pablo-Shump is our starting backcourt come playoff time, just a hunch but I think thats what I see unraveling.

Heard it from nycrican (and here) first.

Pablo starting over felton in the playoffs are you serious

I dont need a response lets just bump this in a month along with Dudley for Shump you were going on about during the trade dead line lol

Quote Originally Posted by rwynyc View Post
    Pablo starting over felton in the playoffs are you serious

I dont need a response lets just bump this in a month along with Dudley for Shump you were going on about during the trade dead line lol
    Maybe not starting but slowly but surely Pablo is getting the ball in his hands more and more and Felton less and less. Two straight 4th quarters the bulk of the minutes went to Pablo.

Starting is a long shot, but finishing isn't.

I said Shump for Dudley and a first round lotto pick, and I still make that trade today.

I was also the only dude on this forum who didn't throw in the towel on the season last week and said we had one more stretch of good basketball left in us while everyone told me I was a homer with rose colored glasses and the season was doomed - so keep quiet home boy.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 03-28-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast