Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bye Bye ZBS? Hello Run Game That Isn't Completely Predictable and Uncreative?

I stole this thread idea from somewhere else but I think it's a good topic.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 13m
    MM on plan for running game: "There's schematic changes. In the process of finalizing our plan for the running game."
    I have to think this is the beginning of the end of the ZBS.

I hope we study SF and what they do. I know we don't have the power OL guys they do at all but they're really creative and there running game playbook is MASSIVE and is probably the most fun for me to watch for any team in the long time (Not talking the read stuff, everything else)

Have to think if we're going to rework the OL then we probably are putting an accent on it which means draft a new lead back?

vCash
    I'm no expert but MM said something along the lines that he wants to play into the strenghts of the players.

But yeah, maybe the worst party about the running game is that it's so predictable

vCash
    I think it's because EDS might be starting at center that we will see more power run plays. He isn't a ZBS guy at all. Never was a fan of the ZBS so I would welcome a chance. We actually started running more power (pulling the G/T) at the end of last year. It should really benefit Harris.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    I'm no expert but MM said something along the lines that he wants to play into the strenghts of the players.

But yeah, maybe the worst party about the running game is that it's so predictable
    It feels like our run playbook is pretty shallow too.
    Quote Originally Posted by wissportsfan View Post
    I think it's because EDS might be starting at center that we will see more power run plays. He isn't a ZBS guy at all. Never was a fan of the ZBS so I would welcome a chance. We actually started running more power (pulling the G/T) at the end of last year. It should really benefit Harris.
    Yeah I'm pretty excited about this. EDS makes sense.

I just went and watched some Sherrod from college stuff. I forgot how good that kid looked. Man, I hope he's ready. (Not the run game really but yeah)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It feels like our run playbook is pretty shallow too.
    The plays don't have to be innovative trick plays or anything special. Just something so the other teams have to prepare for something other than Kuhn up the middle.

vCash
    Yeah exactly.

vCash
    Kinda hope we grab barner late and use him creatively. Only give him 3-5 Touches a game but hopefully with the creativity he can have a high average per touch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    Kinda hope we grab barner late and use him creatively. Only give him 3-5 Touches a game but hopefully with the creativity he can have a high average per touch
    I'd be down with this.

Glad his pro day numbers showed out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    The plays don't have to be innovative trick plays or anything special. Just something so the other teams have to prepare for something other than Kuhn up the middle.
    That, and we follow the FB everytime, and we basically always run to the strong side. We rarely call any sort of designed cutback (which I understand is the idea of the zone block scheme) but that might be something that helps us. Instead of just having to out-muscle guys, we can use their aggression (especially a team like Detriot) against them and let them run themselves out of the play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    That, and we follow the FB everytime, and we basically always run to the strong side. We rarely call any sort of designed cutback (which I understand is the idea of the zone block scheme) but that might be something that helps us. Instead of just having to out-muscle guys, we can use their aggression (especially a team like Detriot) against them and let them run themselves out of the play.
    Harris

Pitch right?

No thanks.

vCash
    Now maybe we actually design a play where we are supposed to do that. How much nicer does that picture look if Josh Sitton is pulling around from the RG while the rest of the OL blocks down? It'll be interesting to see what "changes" we make to our blocking schemes. I also maintain that we could use a legit blocking FB. Kuhn is not a great lead blocker type, and maybe if one of our true HBs can actually grab onto the third down back role so we can let Kuhn go for a blocker.