Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How much has Kobe changed us as Laker fans?

So many mixed feelings with me when it comes to the Kobster.

Full disclosure: Im a Magic Johnson era Lakers fan inductee. That is when I was a kid & I thought that the way the NBA worked was the Lakers always played the Celtics in the finals.

Ive continued to love the Lakers with all their successes & faults throughout the years. But none of the post Magic superstars has been as polarizing as Kobe. We all know the familiar arguments of what is loved & hated about him, & I think in many ways most of them are correct.

For me Kobe is best when he is accepted for what he is (a singular, generational talent), instead of compared against what he is not (Magic, Bird or Jordan). He is his own thing, & that thing is great, but it has its drawbacks too.

This is where Kobe has changed me as a fan & where my questions comes in.
    One thing I truly have come to love about Kobe is his intensity, competitiveness, and real fearlessness. He wants to win more than I want him to win. That's in short supply in the NBA.
    He isnt diplomatic about it (often to a fault, and sometimes overlooking his own role in things) but ultimately calls out losing & pushes toward winning at all costs.

And I love that. Winning is the only thing with him. Never have to worry that hes thinking of his brand, or how hes perceived, or trying next year, or being nice. Nope. Just wants to win.

When he ultimately retires, the Lakers will continue & probably have Howard & certainly other superstars throughout my life. But I think Im going to judge all of their attitudes & actions (not talent) against Kobe.

Im already doing it to Howard (who just BEGS to be singled out with his goofing about) and see myself being unsatisfied with anyone with a less than Kobe-esque approach. And there aint but maybe 3 guys out there who can live up to that. (Always wanted to see KG & Kobe on the same team, I mean, can you imagine? Wed either have won 5 straight titles or blown up the Staples center).

This is what Im thinking today & it beats working. Thoughts?

vCash
    He is indeed the last of a dying breed, and there will never be someone to lace up as stubborn and obsessed with winning and the ability to play through any physical injury or emotional trauma (03-04 with the sexual assault cases and the back and forth going to court and coming back and hitting game winning buzzer beats as well as having big playoff performances) or all of last yr with the divorce proceedings w/ Vanessa before they finally patched things up this yr.

He's also one of few superstar who ever really cared about what others thought of him.

His way to work the media and not fall into their traps and basically signifying the media at times to go **** themselves is something only rare have been able to do as they age in this business.

We can't expect Dwight to be Kobe, but only Dwight to be Dwight. We need Dwight to be fun loving and goofy because that's who he is. We can't expect him to be serious and pissed off like Kobe.

But we can expect him to pick up some of Kobe's qualities as a leader and someone who is able to face the pressure and media of playing in a big market like LA for the greatest sports franchise to ever exist and try the best he can to play through those physical ailments to the best of his ability. Those are the things I eventually expect out of Dwight.

vCash
    ze gratest

vCash
    He is only one, free as seagull.

vCash
    ... You know you got a good DVR... whenever you hit pause on your remote during the action and it displays its favorite player....

vCash
    This, free as a seagull

vCash
    Love the Beatles being brought into this, not sure how it fits, but dont really care!

vCash
    Free as a bird (Seagull) ...
    ... You know you got a good DVR... whenever you hit pause on your remote during the action and it displays its favorite player....

vCash
    caw caw
    llullz

vCash
    Cawwwwwwww cawwwwwwww

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearljammer II View Post
    haha
    This is all very funny.

Follow me on Twitter @KnowNameGuy

vCash
    Win it's all that matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still1ballin View Post
    caw caw
    If you wont mind me asking, is that actually you on your sig/avatar?

vCash
    He has taught us it's never over until it's over!!!

vCash
    Since I'm just 15, this is the only era I've ever truly witnessed. Sure there are highlights of show time but it really isn't the same. Kobe is not just a basketball player but an inspiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast