Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do the Mets have the worst offense in MLB

Mets might have above average starting pitching if Santana and Marcum can stay healthy 3/4 of the year. Yet the offense is so bad I think the 62 Mets were better. Mets have Wright and that's it. Ike is a hit or miss this year other than those two, can any of the other everyday starters even make another team roster. I was so looking forward to this year, day dreaming that Santana can give us a full year (yea right) and seeing Harvey pitch for entire year. You know even if the Mets have the best ERA in the NL, our offense will not be able to score enough for our pitching. Maybe this is why Santana is finding ways to get hurt and not pitch. I don't blame him.
    If you really look at we have for the everyday players, we are years and years away. Maybe if we had 1 outfielder that would be able to even start in a low graded college team, there would be hope for a future in a year or two. Not the case. All we have is to see Harvey pitch and wait for Wheeler.

Sorry, frustrated of another year of waiting for the future.
    Last edited by Mets2013; 03-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.

the '62 Mets were complete trash

I think our offense will approach average in the NL just as we did last season with a possibility to be better.
    While our offense could certainly be better, especially when compared to the young arms we have, We still have plenty of young players with potential locked up at a low cost.
    After this year we will have a better idea of where guys like Ike, Tejada, Murphy, Kirk, Duda and D'Arnaud are at.
    A couple signings or trades could quickly turn us into serious contenders.

Btw the much maligned Cowgill is looking like Griffey out there.

No they shouldn't.

They won't have a good offense, it will be bottom 10 in the league in terms of RBIS and runs scored but they do have better offense at the catcher's spot this year, Ike should be more productive offensively, the rest of the IF should remain consistent, and really the OF should be the same offensively as last year cumulatively this year.

The Marlins, Mariners, Padres, Astros, Cubs, and possibly a few others should be worse offensively than the Mets.

Saying that, runs scored are kind of irrelevant to some degree, its really a matter of run differential that is important.

The Mets scored 650 runs last year and to just to prove a point, the Dodgers scored 13 less runs than us last year and won 86 games.

The Reds scored only 19 more runs than us last year and won 97 games.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

This year Met's offense is not even good enough for college level, except Wright and Ike of course. The Met's outfield is a joke and MLB office should of interfered and said you can't have that after April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Mets2013 View Post
    This year Met's offense is not even good enough for college level, except Wright and Ike of course. The Met's outfield is a joke and MLB office should of interfered and said you can't have that after April 1st.
    How good do you think their offense in the OF was last year?

Buck is a much better offensive presence than Thole, Tejada is a good hitter for a SS, and Murphy provides good offense from the 2nd base spot.

We are essentially making up the offense for Scott Hairston in the OF which was minimal.

The Mets scored 37 less runs than the NL league average last year btw.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-09-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Guys, just remember that Harvey had a ERA last year of only 2.73 and ended up with a losing record of 3-5. just going to be a scary year on offense.
    Last edited by Mets2013; 03-09-2013 at 12:24 PM.

How is Cowgill much maligned?

I know we need hitters but Cowgill can hit LHP similar to how Torres did last year.

Valdespin, Baxter, and Byrd should provide decent offense.

And Duda is what he is.

Essentially they are replacing the offense from Scott Hairston.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I think he might of meant another word

It was your point that the Mets will have the worst offense in baseball.

My point is it wont be good but it wont be the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I was talking about when we acquired him. There was an outpour of "zomg how can we have that crappy minor league caliber guy in our OF"

Of course now that he is performing he is treated like the second coming.
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 03-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Meh, if one or two posters said that it hardly qualifies as much maligned.

And honestly ST stats mean nothing and even with a guy like Valdespin, who I have endorsed a lot, I just can't and won't get too excited about their numbers.

But yet st stats are all we have when it comes to this bunch of outfielders and all we can use to say who deserves a job and who does not.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I know we need hitters but Cowgill can hit LHP similar to how Torres did last year.

Valdespin, Baxter, and Byrd should provide decent offense.

And Duda is what he is.

Essentially they are replacing the offense from Scott Hairston.
    You're probably right.

Now all we have to do is figure out what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    You're probably right.

Now all we have to do is figure out what he is.
    I would say he is similar to what he was last year realistically.

When i made that bold prediction thread, i called for Duda to hit 30 homers.

It might have been foolish of me to do so but that's because i can't wrap my head around a guy who is 6'5 250lbs not hitting for that type of power.

I guess we will find out what he can do offensively during the season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-09-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Not the worst, sub par to average... kinda like the '69 Mets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast