Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Hue Jackson says Al Davis offered him Raiders GM job in 2009

After only one season in charge of the Raiders and after going a respectable 8-8, the organization fired coach Hue Jackson after the 2011 season, and just like that, Jackson disappeared into the anonymous world of former coaches searching for assistant gigs (Jackson found a home, again, in Cincinnati).
    But while recently talking to Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, Jackson wondered what might have been if he had taken a job offered to him by late Raiders owner Al Davis in 2009.
    That job: Raiders general manager.
    Oakland already had hired Jackson as the team's offensive coordinator under then-head coach Tom Cable, but Davis apparently respected Jackson enough to offer him the GM job. Jackson told Trotter that the reason he didn't take the job was because he loved coaching too much.
    “Jackson says he turned it down because his passion is coaching and working with players,” Trotter writes. “He says he and Davis never discussed him taking the head coach position -- contrary to speculation that he accepted the coordinator position with an eye on the top job.”
    Eventually, of course, Davis hired Jackson for the head coaching job, but after he died and his son, Mark Davis, took over ownership, the Raiders hired GM Reggie McKenzie -- who then wanted to hire his own coach and released Jackson.
    If Jackson had taken the GM job, Mark Davis, of course, still could have fired him and brought in his own general manager. But as we so often see, the coach is fired before the owner lets go of his GM. That means there's a pretty decent chance Jackson would still be the Raiders GM if he had accepted Al Davis' offer in the first place.

Link:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...gm-job-in-2009

Hue Jackson is full of BS. !

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    Omg....

Thank god that didnt happen, or we'd have no draft the rest of the decade and a bunch of washed up vets lol

If this is true, shows how off his rocker Al was in his final days. Sad really.... Either that or Hue is just being Hue and talking out his ***

vCash
    I'd say he's talking out his ***. Al had a lot of options on who he could have brought in as GM and doubt an assistant/coordinator was one of them. I think he is just still butt-hurt.
    "JUST WIN BABY"
    COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE

vCash
    what ********. who turns down a GM job when they're an offensive assistant? ok dude
    believing what you believe in. sticking up for your rights and sticking up for the rights of others from time to time. do it your way. don't let the culture tell you what to do. that's being a Raider. -Al Davis

vCash
    Whatever Hugh did for the team good or bad, he did have a lot of respect for AD. However, he should just be quiet and let it go.

I'm Your Huckleberry.

vCash
    no to GM ...

but as a head coach and o-coordinator,

the man had a respectable offense, it would disappear in games, but after what i saw this year,

i am appreciative, for the most part, mcfadden was getting loose, jason campbell was getting better, i mean , it was a team.

remember what the team was like before he came for those 2 years,

our offense was awful, he at least had something to offer. things would be different if we could have finished the rally the last game vs SD , i dont know how that happened or why.

that was as close to playoffs as we have had in 10 years.

vCash
    OK lets be real if there was going to be a GM while Al was alive Al would have hired one a long time ago.
    Al was the gm and wouldn't let go of control until he died which is what happend.

vCash
    I doubt it's true, but if it is, I'm really glad it didn't happen..

vCash
    I think he's talkin' out his Hue!! Al set up the model for Jerry Jones to follow, GM till I die!! Glad it didn't happen, we wouldn't have a first until 2023!!

I know my job is on the line!!

vCash
    Oh Hue.............

LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesJett1988 View Post
    no to GM ...

but as a head coach and o-coordinator,

the man had a respectable offense, it would disappear in games, but after what i saw this year,

i am appreciative, for the most part, mcfadden was getting loose, jason campbell was getting better, i mean , it was a team.

remember what the team was like before he came for those 2 years,

our offense was awful, he at least had something to offer. things would be different if we could have finished the rally the last game vs SD , i dont know how that happened or why.

that was as close to playoffs as we have had in 10 years.
    also Hue looked like a raider hc...allen looks like lane kiffin...

vCash
    No way,giving up those picks he would kill us.

vCash
    hue is a crazy bastard lol

vCash
    Dat dude does not look the part.He's short and gives away picks for christmas.He was a good oc though but dang.

vCash
    I will say it is a good thing that Hue did not become our GM, but I really don't find it that hard to believe that Al offered him the position like most people here. A lot of people here don't realize how much Al loved Hue.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast