Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Leafs extend Carlyle

The Leafs have extended Carlyle for 2 years. Admittedly, I don't follow the Leafs all that closely, but I don't get this at all.

Thoughts?

vCash
    I do follow the Leafs closely and I don't get this at all lol.

vCash
    Let him have his final year fine, but if this team is the same next year are they really going to be paying 2 coaches to not work for them (Wilson, Carlyle)? Just makes no sense.. Only thing I see it doing is taking away the daily circus on questions about the coaching.

vCash
    When Carlyle had the horses to play his game, he got them into the playoffs. He was upfront about how bad the Leafs were playing when they were #2 in the Atlantic, so it makes sense he was given another shot. He saw the issue, and whatever was said in the exit-meetings means that Shanny knows that there were some hard-headed players.

If the players wouldn't listen to him before, they will now. Carlyle is Shanny's guy. Players that don't buy in, they get shipped out. That's the part i like about this. Don't let the players off the hook.

*Was secretly hoping that Babcock loses his mind and leaves the Redwings for my Leafs next year Sadly that is now even less likely.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    ^^i would have guessed that the leafs might have made a play for trotz

give carlyle some defensive defenceman to work and you can expect a huge turnaround since the team does have offence

in terms of defenceman that can actually play defence on toronto and this is from an outside point of view
    gunnerson
    gleason(but he is aging and slowly losing footspeed)
    phaneuf (ill put in the meh category)

the other defenceman toronto have are either inexperienced (gardiner/reilly) or are bad defensively

they should go out and get one of the following (tallinder/mitchell/nikitin) defenseman and hope with added experience from their young guys they improve defensively atleast imo

vCash
    Those would be great. Also Leafs need RHD more than anything. They don't have to be great just guys who won't kill you defensively, and the Leafs don't need more offense. Dion has been playing on his off-side for a while now.

Put Dion back on the left side. Find two top-4 RHD:

Phaneuf - RHD #1
    Rielly - RHD #2 (Fayne?)
    Gunnarsson - Granberg

Cut Franson loose. Buy-out Gleason. Use Gardiner as a trade chip. The Leafs system is loaded with LHD as well with Finn/Percy looking like potential top-4 guys and not many RHD.

I don't think the Leafs will find a top-pairing RHD that can help Dion by next season so i expect him to stay on the right side:

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
    Rielly - RHD #2 (Fayne?)
    Gardiner - Granberg

That's decent. That top-pair is great 60 or so games into the season but then they get gassed playing those hard minutes and 25 mins a night most games. Leafs just can't have a guy like Franson playing 21 minutes a night and Gleason can't even cut it as a 3rd pairing guy anymore. Cut them lose and bring in (at least) league-average defensive defenseman, i think the Leafs are much improved. Then you have to tackle the bottom-9 forwards. Nonis/Carlyle have some work to do.

Gardiner was much improved defensively imo. Sub him in for 21 minutes (along with a Fayne) maybe that becomes a more reliable 2nd pairing. I'm also pretty high on Granberg, who looked pretty good up in the NHL (albeit 1 game but if you saw it, you'd know why it was impressive. The kid faced like two different 3 on 1 breakaways and came out without a goal against)
    Last edited by OptiMized; 05-09-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    I still believe Babcock comes here after next year. I wouldn't put too much stock into this extension, the Leafs are the richest team in the league and have shown in the past they don't care about firing coaches after signing extensions, as they did with Wilson.

vCash
    ^ Why would Babcock ever leave Detroit though if he's a guy that loves to win? Especially with the team he'll have the next few seasons while Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still playing at a high to elite level. I don't really think it'll matter how much money we throw at him either..

vCash

Leafs extend Carlyle

Insiders believe he wants a new challenge,there's nothing left to prove in Detroit. You make the Leafs a cup winner and you're a god.