Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should the Oilers look to trade for Shea Weber?

HNIC panel brought up the idea of the Oilers trading for Weber after they were pounded by the Blues last night. Predators could use some dynamic offensive pieces, have a surplus in d and have Seth Jones who can step into the number one role at some point. With the cap going up, the Oilers could fit Weber in for the long term and finally get a number one dman.

But, the Predators tried hard to keep Weber from leaving in FA, he's the face of the franchise and could send the wrong message to the fanbase if they trade him. They would have to sell the fanbase on the idea of the forwards they get back.

Question is, what is a fair package from the Oilers for Shea Weber? Discuss.

vCash
    Personally, I think they should for more depth at this point. I think their problems go deeper than one guy, regardless of how good Weber is
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

vCash
    That contract is gross and it would gut their team of multiple assets when they have a bunch of holes already.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Been mentioned. It's interesting and does make a lot of sense for both sides. Would obviously have to think of Yakupov and/or Eberle.

vCash
    Trading Weber after losing Suter would really hurt that fan base in Nashville. They've seen enough players come and go. Poille would absolutely have to net a return he could sell easily to that city and fan base.

vCash
    I think the Oilers should def try to move some offense for defense. Consistently having the number 1 pick is eventually going to backfire when all those star players need to get paid like one. I don’t think Yakupov would get that done, would have to part with one of their top guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Trading Weber after losing Suter would really hurt that fan base in Nashville. They've seen enough players come and go. Poille would absolutely have to net a return he could sell easily to that city and fan base.
    Former number 1 pick budding superstar could be the answer to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyNick View Post
    Former number 1 pick budding superstar could be the answer to that.
    Could be, but they still need more back in my opinion for Weber. Yakupov + would be where they would go I'd say. But then again does Poille want a young enigmatic Russian winger after the whole Radulov debacle? I just assume Yakupov would be the one of the Oilers young guns that McTavish would be willing to part with before the rest. I don't think Weber leaves Nashville at the end of the day because everytime Poille's asked about that subject he very quickly points out he's building around Weber. But it wouldn't be the first time a GM said one thing and did another after that's for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Could be, but they still need more back in my opinion for Weber. Yakupov + would be where they would go I'd say. But then again does Poille want a young enigmatic Russian winger after the whole Radulov debacle? I just assume Yakupov would be the one of the Oilers young guns that McTavish would be willing to part with before the rest. I don't think Weber leaves Nashville at the end of the day because everytime Poille's asked about that subject he very quickly points out he's building around Weber. But it wouldn't be the first time a GM said one thing and did another after that's for sure.
    I dont think yakupov does it either, they would want Hall or RNH

vCash
    Maybe something like Gagner and Eberle for Weber? Gagner and Yakupov?

I could see the appeal on paper for either team for a deal involving Weber, but I doubt it happens. I think Poile is more than happy to build from the net out with Jones, Weber and Rinne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyNick View Post
    I dont think yakupov does it either, they would want Hall or RNH
    Yeah I would agree with you. I would want Hall or RNH easily over Yakupov. But I don't know where Edmonton would go. I love them both but they both have injury history early in their careers. RNH is built like Bambi and already has had numerous shoulder problems. Not good for a small thin guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Maybe something like Gagner and Eberle for Weber? Gagner and Yakupov?

I could see the appeal on paper for either team for a deal involving Weber, but I doubt it happens. I think Poile is more than happy to build from the net out with Jones, Weber and Rinne.
    This is what I think as well. It's also what Poille has said. The reason he was so giddy that Jones dropped to them in the draft was because when Suter left it kinda crippled how he builds his team or atleast wants to. Getting Jones after that happened was music to his ears for sure. I would keep Weber and let Jones learn from him. Only good things can happen there. 2 or 3 years from now being able to have one of those two on the ice for almost an entire 60 minutes would be such an advantage to have. That being said they really need to get some power up front. Everybody knows that. I guess that's the other reason these Weber rumours keep coming up coupled with that contract on a small market team.

vCash
    What people have to remember too is that Nashville basically turned down 4 first rounders for Weber when they matched that huge offer sheet. It's going to take a crazy deal of offensive talent to get Weber. Should Edmonton do it? Absolutely, but the Oilers will be giving away a ton of talent. Gagner and Yakupov still don't get that deal done. You need to blow them away with an offer for Polie to even consider it. Nuge, Yak, and Eberle MIGHT get it done...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    What people have to remember too is that Nashville basically turned down 4 first rounders for Weber when they matched that huge offer sheet. It's going to take a crazy deal of offensive talent to get Weber. Should Edmonton do it? Absolutely, but the Oilers will be giving away a ton of talent. Gagner and Yakupov still don't get that deal done. You need to blow them away with an offer for Polie to even consider it. Nuge, Yak, and Eberle MIGHT get it done...
    No way is Edmonton giving Nashville Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov and Eberle for Weber.
    To answer the question, No, Weber's asking price is too high.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 12-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    Hopkins, Yakupov and Eberle surely get it done. There's a difference between 4 1st round picks than 2 first overall picks and a 22 year old PPG player or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast