Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Bulls chose luxury tax over trading first-rounder

The Bulls were one of just seven NBA teams that had never paid the luxury tax entering this season, but after standing pat at the deadline, Chicago is poised to be a taxpayer for the first time. According to Grantland's Zach Lowe, however, the Bulls could have "easily" traded Richard Hamilton and moved under the tax threshold, but were unwilling to include a first-round pick along with Hamilton.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reported on deadline day that the Bulls were reluctant to pair Hamilton with a draft pick in trade talks, though at the time it wasn't clear what sort of pick would be necessary to dump Hamilton's $5MM salary. As I noted in my post on Wojnarowski's report, when the Grizzlies got under the tax by sending Marreese Speights and Wayne Ellington to Cleveland, the cost was a future first-round selection whose protection will likely make it a lottery pick.

The Bulls have enough assets that they could have afforded to part with one had they been serious about getting out of the tax -- in addition to all of their own picks, the team also holds a future Bobcats first-rounder and the rights to Nikola Mirotic. Although Derrick Rose's brother Reggie may not have been impressed with Chicago's inactivity at the deadline, the team's decision not to give up an asset in a purely financially-motivated deal seems to represent a step in the right direction.
    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/b...t-rounder.html

vCash
    Which pick though? If they wanted Cats I could see why. Wondering who we would have got in return.
    Trill Team
    Buckwheat-jpro611-Me-haggis-cheaptrikz-shammyguy3-Ezio-Cub_StuckinSTL-HOWE do i do it-ugafan-hugepatsfan-Fly-Raps08-09 Champ-Mane-humblehotgenius

vCash
    Good

vCash
    That is a good thing the Bulls have shown they can draft. And they won't even get the last pick in the draft this year so they could actually get someone even better.

vCash
    This article is garbage. It should be entitled "The Bulls will do anything, except make a bad trade, to avoid the luxury tax," and then go into the past two seasons of roster moves, the financial implications, and then ended with Mirotic coming over and the implications of what may be a lottery pick from the Bobcats... Oh wait, that's all old news.

Such trash. The only thing to be happy with is that the Bulls didn't make an idiotic trade.

Every GM in the league knows what it's like to pay the tax, understands where the Bulls stand financially, and as a result, would add at least one pick to EVERY trade they proposed as a "convenience fee."
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 02-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, I mean if they were willing to pay the luxury tax, I am fine with keeping Rip. Bulls have been great drafters, and getting a cost controlled guy for at least 4 years is great. I do wish Thibs would just bench Rip though. I think we'd be a better team with Marco starting (and a tick in minutes to both he and Jimmy).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KH12 View Post
    Yeah, I mean if they were willing to pay the luxury tax, I am fine with keeping Rip. Bulls have been great drafters, and getting a cost controlled guy for at least 4 years is great. I do wish Thibs would just bench Rip though. I think we'd be a better team with Marco starting (and a tick in minutes to both he and Jimmy).
    They need to do something. When Marco started he played and shot well. Since Rip came back and Marco went to the bench they both have been lousy for the most part. Marco's shot has been so flat lately, Rip can't hit anything consistently.

vCash
    I think being the main ball handler has hurt Belli more then being on the bench. With Hinrich down Belli has been given a lot more responsibility and it's hurt him.

The worst part about this whole situation is if I'm understanding this right. Because the Bulls are over the Tax they no longer get the Mid level exception. Rip has really hurt the Bulls I was so happy when they got him and now I can't even look at the guy. He just comes in gets up his shots gets a few turn overs argues with the refs and goes back and sits.
    Last edited by Rndy; 02-25-2013 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    Agreed, it's no coincidence (at least to me) how much better Belinelli played in the starting lineup, next to more of a true PG like Kirk. I REALLY want to see Marco play alongside Rose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KH12 View Post
    Agreed, it's no coincidence (at least to me) how much better Belinelli played in the starting lineup, next to more of a true PG like Kirk. I REALLY want to see Marco play alongside Rose.
    That is why I always tell people that KH12 guy is very smart we seem to agree on 90% of the same stuff. You're a very wise man.

I'm curious what Belli contract situation will be next year. Earlier in the year I saw no chance he'd resign so cheap but the more and more I look I don't see a team giving him a lot of money. We could possibly resign him he's basically a poor mans JJ who every one wants so bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rndy View Post
    That is why I always tell people that KH12 guy is very smart we seem to agree on 90% of the same stuff. You're a very wise man.

I'm curious what Belli contract situation will be next year. Earlier in the year I saw no chance he'd resign so cheap but the more and more I look I don't see a team giving him a lot of money. We could possibly resign him he's basically a poor mans JJ who every one wants so bad.
    Thank you sir! We do seem to agree a lot, and I have also compared Marco to a poor man's Redick.

I think there's a decent chance Belinelli will be back next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rndy View Post
    The worst part about this whole situation is if I'm understanding this right. Because the Bulls are over the Tax they no longer get the Mid level exception.
    The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration.
    They still get the exception, it just lessens in value, hence why every GM in the league would ask for at least one of the Bulls picks to get them under the tax threshold.

vCash
    Perfect for Korver.

vCash
    Crazy how this is the first time EVER the Bulls will pay luxury tax.

Seriously though if we packaged the Charlotte pick with Rip just to dump him I would've punched a wall.

vCash
    Bulls are very crafty during the draft. So I'm glad they did not part ways with one of their draft picks just to dump Rip's contract. SG will need to be address during the draft, and with the rise of McLemore, Oladipo, Muhammad, and Carter-Williams, I can see one of Goodrich and McCollum being available in the mid first-round. If we could climb up in the teens and select Goodrich, then I'd be satisfied. Very raw player, but lots of potential as a shot creator. Thibs could definitely develop him. McCollum on the other hand is a proven scorer, who may fill the void as the Bulls second creator down the road. He is an undersized SG with average athleticism, but I'd take my chances on him also since he's a scoring machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast