Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Why is it so hard to win on the road!

Looking at home vs. away records, it's insane how much of a difference it makes. My Pacers have an 82% winning percentage at home, and a 42% winning percentage on the road. The Nuggets win almost 90% of their home games and only 38% of their road games! It's like they have to play a different game away from the Pepsi Center. I know this is nothing new, but it's always seemed fishy to me.

So what's the explanation? Is it psychological? Is it a comfort level thing? Is it the effect of travel? Is it the power of the home fans? Is it the way refs are instructed to officiate games? Why is there this massive disparity?

vCash
    Because the fans give you extra energy at home and you're used to the arena...you know your sweet spots.

vCash
    One bad call against the road team can lead to a change in the momentum in favor of the home team, which leads to a domino effect that doesn't play in a favor for the road team. Officials get highly influenced by rowdy fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4milesperday View Post
    Because the fans give you extra energy at home and you're used to the arena...you know your sweet spots.
    The extra energy I understand, but I don't buy the sweet spots thing. I play basketball. My sweet spots are the same no matter what gym I'm playing in.

vCash
    It's psychological. Players feel much more comfortable playing in front of their crowd and having the crowd cheer them on instead of booing them.

vCash
    It's psychological. Players feel much more comfortable playing in front of their crowd and having the crowd cheer them on instead of booing them.

vCash
    It affects role players more than anything. The best of the best aren't generally phased by crowds. In fact I remember Shuttlesworth saying that he lives to silence the opposing crowd, or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Home town calls, jet lag.

vCash
    A sports data analyst for the Knicks told me that on average, the home team is +3 points in the NBA.

You can compute this using Microsoft Excel.

Analysts say they do not have any solid explanation for that +3, but most people believe that the referees give a slight advantage to the home team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    A sports data analyst for the Knicks told me that on average, the home team is +3 points in the NBA.

You can compute this using Microsoft Excel.

Analysts say they do not have any solid explanation for that +3, but most people believe that the referees give a slight advantage to the home team.
    Sounds about right. I guess the question is whether the referees are instructed to do so, or whether they are affected by the crowds. Regardless, the NBA needs to be instructing refs to be more objective regardless of whether a team is at home or away.

vCash
    Time changes. East coast to west coast is a 3 hour difference, ****s with your sleeping habits.

vCash
    Also you are leaving from a hotel you likely got to the day before. Not with your family, away crowd, biased refs, etc etc

all the little things add up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYK_kidd77 View Post
    Lol how can you guys hate the knicks thats like going to the special olympics and booing.

vCash
    Also has anyone seen the visiting teams locker rooms? Some of these places are horrid and I'm sure it's to make the visiting team as un comfortable as possible.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    There is a psychological effect for sure. There are documented cases where people perform better when in front of a crowd. Some runners, when they practice and are running alone, cannot replicate their best times. They need somebody else to run against. And get a crowd that is cheering for you? It is 95% psychological. And this is not applied to sport, but almost all areas of performance, most notably music.

The other areas of impact are the officials (who will make calls in favour of the home team), and perhaps familiarity, though the courts are pretty standard, so I'm not sure what difference there could be in this respect.

There is no denying the fact that teams play at different levels depending on where they play and who is in the crowd.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Its just part of the natural progress championship teams go thru,

The short version is this,,,, collect core players, learn to win 41 or more, then learn to dominate @ home and that gets you to 50 wins, then championship teams learn to win on the road, good teams dominate @home, championship teams win on the road

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast