Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Phil Jackson says D'Antoni is doing it wrong

Watching the Lakers this season has to be a special kind of weird for Phil Jackson after his pitch for a return to coaching the team was shot down.

But Jackson has observed the Lakers nonetheless, and he thinks he has found the biggest source of their woes.

In a wide-ranging interview with Sports Illustrated (conducted prior to Dr. Jerry Buss' death Monday), Jackson said that Dwight Howard hasn't measured up to his potential -- and the Lakers' playing style is to blame for the disparity.

"They just don't put the ball in the post," Jackson said when asked what stood out to him about the Lakers. "They'll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there's no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn't get any touches. They've basically eliminated his assets."
    Phil making a bid for the job?

Is he secretly happy that D'antoni, Kobe and the boys aren't making it work?

vCash
    I mean, he's right.

They don't really find creative or consistent ways to get Dwight the ball in good position. The Magic knew how to do it, and it worked GREAT. It's just not being done in LA, and considering the personnel they have, that's unacceptable.

vCash
    ^He doesn't get the ball in those spots because D'Antoni doesn't believe in post-ups. Just an odd hire by Jim Buss......

vCash
    Dwight sucks in stagnant post ups anyway. I'm not sure forcefeeding Dwight in the post is the solution, but I don't really have any of my own personal solutions outside of the guys just straight up don't want to play hard for each other and Mike D has never been the type of guy to get his players to give supreme effort on both ends.

Its tough to gauge, Phil has always hated Mike D and I'm sure is a bit salty over the whole situation, but it seems more of the frustration from the guys actually in the trenches on that team is pointed at Dwight, and not the coach. That, to me, speaks volumes.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    I mean whats good position for Dwight? I see him get the ball on the block all the time, just being after pick and rolls. Hes not converting the ones he gets. Van Gundy was always pretty set against NOT forcefeeding Dwight in stagnant post ups from what I remember. Its tough to do that with a guy who can't pass out of the post - it makes it very stagnant and easy to defend.

I mean what is Dwight's spot anyway?

Would be cool for someone to put some article together with video clips from plays that worked with success in ORL compared to the garbage we see now. I personally don't think its all that much different at all but I'm not saying I'm an expert on the way Dwight gets into his offense.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Just PJ saying what everyone knows, except lakers front office. lol

vCash
    I still don't understand why the lakers hired D'Antoni over Phil to begin with

vCash
    Everyone else on the planet, except for Mike D'antoni: "We know"

vCash
    PJ will be the Lakers coach next year mark it down ......sorry Pringles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WITZ View Post
    I still don't understand why the lakers hired D'Antoni over Phil to begin with
    Because jim buss is determined to screw the lakers. And PJ is screwing jimmy's sister lol!

vCash
    Bad fit for Lakers, bad fit for Dwight. Dantoni is just garbage.

vCash
    I have not won 11 NBA titles like Phil Jackson, and even i know Dantoni is doing it wrong.

vCash
    Unless being under .500 with
    Dwight
    Kobe
    Nash
    Pau

Is doing it right, than I think it's obvious he's doing it wrong lol.

vCash
    Here is a funny question.....IF (Big IF) the lakers turn this around and win the Championship is Dantoni suddenly a good coach?
    Did Spoletra suddenly become a good coach after last season?

vCash
    We all know that. It is not whether Howard is not good on the post, but "consistency" is the key. Let's face it, Dwight get his touches mostly from picks. Sure that Dwight is immature, but put yourself in his position.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast