Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Isiah Thomas : Lebron likely better athlete than MJ

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...ah-thomas-says

Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas said Tuesday the debate over whether LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan hinges on a few things, but as far as who is the better athlete, Thomas said it's probably James.

"They're both great players, and they're both great in their eras," Thomas said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "In my era, we hadn't seen an athlete quite like Michael Jordan. He jumped higher than everyone else. He was a little faster than everyone else and he was just the best athlete.

"LeBron James is the best athlete of today, and he's probably a better athlete than Michael Jordan was. He's bigger, he's faster, he's stronger.

As far as who would win head to head, Thomas said it depends.

"Now when you put them out on the floor to compete against each other in different eras, it depends on which rules you're playing with and which coach you're being coached by," Thomas said. "So there's a lot that really goes into it.

"Had Michael Jordan not met Phil Jackson, would Michael Jordan be Michael Jordan today had he stayed with (Stan) Albeck and Doug Collins, and they were great coaches, but I think Jackson had a lot to do with his success. LeBron right now seems to be in the right situation with the right coach with the right players and his talent is being exposed and is flourishing."

Magic Johnson recently gave his take on who would win a game of one-on-one between Jordan and James.

"Easy answer MJ all day, every day!" Johnson tweeted, before adding: "If MJ and LeBron played 1-on-1 10 times, MJ would win all 10. MJ is the ultimate 1-on-1 player!"

Johnson did give James credit as the best player in the game today.

Jordan and Thomas have some history as fierce competitors. Thomas and several Detroit Pistons teammates left the court before shaking hands with Jordan's Bulls after Chicago won the 1991 Eastern Conference finals. That reportedly played a role in keeping Thomas off the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team." Scottie Pippen said he didn't want Thomas on the team and former NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik admitted Thomas' behavior after that series was part of the reason Thomas was left off the team.

During the celebration of Jordan's 50th birthday on Sunday, Antawn Jamison said if Jordan played today, "he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes." Thomas wasn't as sure when asked Tuesday if Jordan could average 10.

"If he played 40 minutes," Thomas said. "It's all about minutes and shots, always. The question is, yeah, he can score 10, but could he guard the other guy? Could he get back in transition?

"It's a lot that goes into playing an NBA game and it's a lot that goes into training to be an NBA player. You can be in great health-club shape, but to be a pro athlete and be in that type of physical condition, training condition and mindset, that's a different type of person you're talking about."

Although he joked about playing at the age of 50 when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Jordan has since put that thought to rest, even though Charlotte Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist said he recently lost to Jordan in a game of one-on-one.

Asked whether he could average 10 at the age of 50, Thomas didn't hesitate.

"Absolutely not, the athletes and players I think today are too good," he said. "I think we all have nostalgic great imaginations, and to say that you could do that is just a total disrespect to the players who are playing today."

Thomas was in Chicago to partner with Mayor Rahm Emanuel in announcing a basketball program aimed at helping at-risk youth.

Really?
    Last edited by rockbottom2010; 02-20-2013 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    LMAO. Hide and duck.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    who gives a ****. theyre both once in a lifetime athletes. its hard to compare their athletic prowess. lebron is a rarer specimen though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    who gives a ****. theyre both once in a lifetime athletes. its hard to compare their athletic prowess. lebron is a rarer specimen though
    i think isiah knows what hes talking about....they were rivalries for many years.....

vCash
    Ummm these two hated each other wonder why lil Zeek would say this

vCash
    scottie pippen said the same thing...the next day he changed his decision

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    Are they really once in a lifetime with I've seen both of them in my life time? It's more like once in a decade just like Kobe Durant Duncan all unique in their own ways, Shaq may be the only once in a life time player I don't think there will ever be someone as dominant as him

Love him or hate him, call him overrated, a punk, chump, and whatever blasphemy you people speak, fact of the matter is there is no denying he's the best of his generation and will go down as a top 5 player ever...what he has done for the NBA is amazing he's the biggest name in basketball all around the world and his chase for number 6 continues! All that matters though to us Laker fans is #17! Lakersnation! #16to17

vCash
    There's an obvious difference between athlete and player.
    I'm a Lakers fan...BUT:

1) No I don't think Kobe > MJ

2) No I don't think LeBron sucks.

3) No I don't think it's funny to continuously make jokes about Charles Osborne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Are they really once in a lifetime with I've seen both of them in my life time? It's more like once in a decade just like Kobe Durant Duncan all unique in their own ways, Shaq may be the only once in a life time player I don't think there will ever be someone as dominant as him
    Ive never seen anyone with the physical packages of Shaq or Lebron ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    He's right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    i think isiah knows what hes talking about....they were rivalries for many years.....
    How many years did he play against Lebron?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    How many years did he play against Lebron?
    ur an idiot......he was a coach during lebron's early years....so he knows....not only that...hes a legend...never question a legend

vCash
    pretty sure jordan has the better vert.

vCash
    Is there gonna be a new thread for every quote made from a currant/former player about a MJ/LBJ comparison. The fact is, all this talk is accelerating a comparison that shouldn't come for another 8ish years or so, if at all. Btw, there were many nba players then and now, who are better athletes than MJ and LBJ.
    Don't let this face fool you...

vCash
    Who cares.. Im tired of the comparisons... LeBron is LeBron n Mike is Mike. Both great players thats it

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast