Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

which player has been most lucky when it comes to having good teammates/front office?

who would you say has been the luckiest when it comes to having a good front office and good teammates around you? id have to say kobe. greatest coach ever along with shaq, pau, and other great player.

vCash
    Kobe and Tim Duncan, and nobody else anywhere close. ////thread

TANKRONTO TANKTORS

vCash
    wade has been pretty lucky too, aside from those 2 down years between 08-10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman321 View Post
    Kobe and Tim Duncan, and nobody else anywhere close. ////thread
    tim duncan was the #1 option on all his championship teams though. kobe is only the number option on 1 maybe 2 of the championship teams. his support isnt even comparable to what it is like having shaq, anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    tim duncan was the #1 option on all his championship teams though. kobe is only the number option on 1 maybe 2 of the championship teams. his support isnt even comparable to what it is like having shaq, anyway.
    Tim Duncan had some pretty damn good teams also, Pop seems to get everyone to produce.. Hell they almost beat the Heat without their starters this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    Kobe is the only player in NBA history to score at least 600 points in the postseason for three consecutive years.
    633 (2008), 695 (2009), 671 (2010)

NBA Finals MVP in 2009 and 2010

i dont understand the "maybe"..at all

but to answer your question i say all Lakers have been blessed with good teammates/FO

vCash
    Duncan got the luckiest.

Robinson went down that year, and instead of being a contender the team plummeted to the third worst record, and won the lottery. That's just shear luck. Rarely, if ever, has a #1 overall pick gone to suck a talented team. Most of that talent came from Robinson who was just a few years removed from an MVP, but Sean Elliot and Avery Johnson were already there two, and the 4 of those guys were SAS' 4 best players when they won.

Then they out-drafted almost everyone in the league for a decade, considering where they were drafting. Hall of famers in 199 and 2001 in Ginobili (57th overall) and Parker (28th overall). They hit a lot with their late first round picks too. They were tremendously savvy in FA (ie. Jackson and Bowen in 2001, and Barry and Horry later on).

Kobe certainly is a close second. Shaq came along and provided him the help to win 3 championships. They generally do well in free agency with savvy moves since it's a good destination. The Pau trade obviously was tremendous.

Wade now falls into that category. Twice now he's gotten tremendous players to come to him and win championships.

Pretty much everyone these days winning multiple championships obviously is gonna be in the discussion. It takes a team; no one can do it on their own.

vCash
    I don't really believe in luck. You make your own breaks in this world. Kobe is widely regarded as having one of the most intense work ethics in the game, so I think calling it "luck" is difficult for me to do. Sure he's had some things go his way, but they are mostly attributed to the position he put himself in, his work ethic, and his longevity.

Put TMAC in a Lakers jersey instead of Kobe and you have a MUCH smaller window to win championships. Same for Vince Carter. Or Allen Iverson. The fact that Kobe has been playing at a high level for well over a decade means that he has enjoyed several different championship windows instead of just one.
    I'm a Lakers fan...BUT:

1) No I don't think Kobe > MJ

2) No I don't think LeBron sucks.

3) No I don't think it's funny to continuously make jokes about Charles Osborne.

vCash
    Robert Horry. /thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitemamba33 View Post
    I don't really believe in luck. You make your own breaks in this world. Kobe is widely regarded as having one of the most intense work ethics in the game, so I think calling it "luck" is difficult for me to do. Sure he's had some things go his way, but they are mostly attributed to the position he put himself in, his work ethic, and his longevity.

Put TMAC in a Lakers jersey instead of Kobe and you have a MUCH smaller window to win championships. Same for Vince Carter. Or Allen Iverson. The fact that Kobe has been playing at a high level for well over a decade means that he has enjoyed several different championship windows instead of just one.
    Sooo Kobe was the GM?

vCash
    Kobe by far. This ain't even close.

And how come no one once mentioned Magic yet? I mean the guy started with Kareem in his prime. Then all those show-time rosters.

vCash
    Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Fisher, Horry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitemamba33 View Post

Um...Kobe's legendary work ethic and longevity has nothing to do with Shaq going there. He frankly IS lucky that Shaq chose to go there. Kobe isn't the GM, and early on in his career he had no say at all. You can't credit him for all the teammates the team put around him. Yes, he's a part of the reason why LAL was an attractive destination, but come on...a lot of things had to happen that were completely out of his control.

If he were a player/GM, then yeah, maybe you could say that every ounce of success he had was because of how great he is, but that's not the case.

This isn't trying to discredit Kobe, it just is what it is. Start Kobe's career off on the Vancouver Grizzlies and the odds of him winning three titles as quickly as he did are about zilch. His great work ethic, his great skills, his longevity and so on won't matter if the front office didn't put a good team around him like he did. And since he has no control in those decisions (or at least didn't early on), he in a sense gets lucky.

vCash
    Obviously Lebron James, How couldn't he win in cleveland? He had amazing players like Larry Hughes and Boobie Gibson lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Robert Horry. /thread
    Yeah a mod should really lock this **** up. Horry without question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast